Are peanuts a safe keto food??

Options
Peanuts, are they a safe food for the keto diet. They contain sugar.. any pointers?

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, no, because they aren't really a nut. They're a legume.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    In addition to what Shadow said, they're also very inflammatory. I avoid them.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Phrick and Shadow. I do on the rare occasion eat peanuts and more often than that I eat peanut butter, but I always consider myself to be eating "off plan" when that happens. Peanuts/peanut butter are/is a slippery slope - I find PB highly addictive and it makes me feel like crap afterwards. Eating a spoonful makes me feel as bad as gorging on cake used to and I find it really hard to break the cycle. Its just not worth it. Plus, I find it spikes my blood glucose, which definitely doesn't work for me.

Peanuts are probably better used as a treat or special occasion food, if you can control yourself around them lol.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I, personally, eat them. It does take some strength to not just mindlessly munch on them, though.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I eat them sometimes. Lots of things contain sugar. The goal isn't to avoid everything that contains "some sugar". It's to avoid added sugar and things with a lot of sugar.
    It's more about how much you're going to get per serving that the fact that you got any sugar at all.
    I've got peanut butter in the cabinet that is 3g sugar per 2 tablespoons. That's almost a whole teaspoon of sugar. It is a sugar added peanut butter that my hubs bought cuz he's not a label reader. Anyway, while I would never purchase that peanut butter on purpose, it wouldn't affect my state of ketosis to have 2 tablespoons assuming I'm not also eating other carbs with it too. It's still only 3 grams. And if I were particularly concerned but really wanted some I could always just have only 1 tablespoon instead.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    4 net carbs per oz. & yummy.... can't not eat......

My peanut rule - Eat only as much as you can stuff in your mouth in 5 seconds, with one hand tied down.

Mmmm....

That's a lot... :smirk:
  • ketold727
    ketold727 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat them generally if I miss lunch and don't feel like fasting. You just really have to be careful because you can a big surprise logging your food.

I had no idea about the legume part... I feel dumb for not knowing that.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I eat 2/3 cups of peanuts a day plus 1.5 1/3 cup of dry roasted nuts per day...while I dont' measure ketone levels they don't stop me from losing 3+lbs a week in my first month :) ..so my answer is yes, they're safe.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

My peanut rule - Eat only as much as you can stuff in your mouth in 5 seconds, with one hand tied down.

Mmmm....

Photo? :o
  • Shadowmf023
    Options

Mmmm....

Photo? :o

Lol... I don't keep them in the house. I actually have really small hands. But I can grab a lot more, and chew a lot more than 1oz with one hand.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I love peanuts - probably too much. I buy the big cans from Sam's. That said, I have gotten much better at only eating a serving (1 oz) at a time. In that quantity, I think they are safe. I can do that and still keep below 30 g carbs a day.

What you have to be careful of is the mindless munching since 1 oz is not many (package says 34 pieces). In the old days, I would just eat straight out of the can and could easily put away 8-10 servings before I realized it. They remind me of that old Lay's commercial where it says, "You can't eat just one."
  • atlathemis
    atlathemis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat, chicken, basically anything that can run away from me. For this reason, nuts, peanuts and peanut butter are a big part of my keto diet and it works just fine. In fact, I utterly rely upon those foods to help fill me up and especially when I don't have time to cook. Everyone else is right: it's very easy to over eat peanuts / peanut butter, but from a keto perspective, it's fine, in my experience. It's just too easy to over eat them and take in too many total calories. If you do that, you won't lose weight even if you are keto. On the other hand, I have found that I can over eat peanuts, peanut butter, any other kind of nut and not GAIN weight as long as I stay low carb for my total carbs in a day. Hope that helps! Enjoy peanuts!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat peanuts. Often too many peanuts. @cstehansen I previously bought those big cans of Planters Virginia Peanuts (big and crunchy) at Sam's and recently switched to the 5 pound bag of Unshelled Salted Roasted Hampton Farms. I eat fewer peanuts now but still too many. Only downside it peanut skins and pieces of shells all over my kitchen floor=daily sweeping.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I eat peanuts. Often too many peanuts. @cstehansen I previously bought those big cans of Planters Virginia Peanuts (big and crunchy) at Sam's and recently switched to the 5 pound bag of Unshelled Salted Roasted Hampton Farms. I eat fewer peanuts now but still too many. Only downside it peanut skins and pieces of shells all over my kitchen floor=daily sweeping.

Salted in the shell. Eat the shells. Problem solved.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Salted in the shell. Eat the shells. Problem solved.

LOL. I hear shrimp shells are excellent also.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I avoid peanuts because they can/do contain micro toxins. Instead I grab raw, organic cashews and almonds. Though I've tried switching to Brazil nuts because I find it much easier to only eat 2 of them then to eat a 1/4 cup of cashews. Cashews are addicting....hahaha

Some interesting articles:
    http://superhumancoach.com/pros-and-cons-of-organic-peanut-butter/
    http://superhumancoach.com/negative-effects-of-roasted-seeds-and-nuts/
    http://superhumancoach.com/negative-effects-of-canned-vegetables/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter chocolate fat bombs. Peanuts must be allowed. ;)

They are higher in carbs than tree nuts though. For munching, I choose macadamia nuts. Yum.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I, personally, eat peanuts, macadamias, almonds & walnuts. Just watch your quantity.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my go-to!!