High Protien, High Carb, Low Fat?

High guys,

I'm not clinging to the idea that there is a magical food item that is high in protein and carbs but low in fat, but I am asking if any of you know of ingredients or meals that can help me cut the fat while still maintaining my protein and carb intake. I have discovered the Faye 0% yogurt and it has been a lifesaver (6oz has 100 cals, 0g fat, 7g carbs, and 18g protein), but I am wondering if there are any other items out there that people like. Let me know!

Elena

Replies

• hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    Off the top of my head, the easiest way for me to hit my protein and carb numbers while staying low in fat is a smoothie. If you base your smoothie with 8 oz. skim milk (I <3 Fairlife for the reduced sugar and protein boost myself), 2 oz. plain non-fat Greek yogurt (I'm thinking Danon Triple Zero here), a small-medium frozen banana, and a few ice cubes and you'll be on way. It's not necessarily complete at this point, but now you can add all kinds of goodies on this base to adjust according to your needs. This base smoothie set up is 200 cal, C=25, F=0 (yay!), P=20. Depending on what number I need to hit, I'll add some protein powder for extra protein, oats or more fruit for carbs, and if i do actually need some fats, almonds, half an avocado or even some real peanut butter (YES!) make killer additions. My advice is to make sure you measure accurately in MFP and save the smoothies for a snack, but if you do try it out for a meal replacement, make sure to bump up the protein content for satiation.
  • GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    edited September 2016
    Totally agree with the smoothie idea. I also add a plain, great quality whey powder to it to really up my protein.

In terms of recipes, I just posted one for Fagioli in Agrodolce (Tangy White Bean Stew) in another thread. Cal: 314, protein: 18g, carbs: 57g & fat: 2g for a really large portion which you can easily cut down if you wish & still be satisfied.
  • glassjailer
    glassjailer Posts: 27 Member
    I too eat high carb and protein with very low fat. My favorite foods that hit that ratio-

My go to, super easy daytime meal. Fat free cottage cheese or cream cheese. Nice on a piece of toast.

For breakfast I've gotten into eating oats with kaniwa (some lil red grain/seed- high in iron, and fluffs up to large amount) some fruit, ff cottage cheese, and cranberries all mixed together. Usually a 60:30:5 ratio. Add protein powder for added bump.

Chicken breast boiled or baked with any starchy veg. Broiled white fish with jasmine rice. Scallops with quinoa pasta and 'cream sauce' made from fat free dairy (cottage cheese, cream cheese, mozzarella, garlic.) Roasted lean pork with baked plantain slices and bitter greens and garlic. Homemade pizza w lean meat, veg and fat free/low fat cheese (this can be high sodium. 96% lean ground beef hamburgers, baked potato wedges. Sandwich w low Fat deli meat, ff cheese, spicy pepper jelly.

I'm particularly keen on sugar free coconut water mixed with 2 portions whey protein powder. So amazing! Uber low fat, high protein, moderate carb. Tastes awesome.

Of course, oikos, fage, and other Greek style yogurts can save the day for eating plain or mixing into dips, spreads, smoothies, sauces, and even baked goods.