Newbie Keto blues?

Options
Hello Everyone and happy Monday!!
First - thank you to everyone who participates here....there's a wealth of knowledge and support and as a newbie, it's tremendously appreciated.
I'm a couple of weeks into the Keto lifestyle and doing well so far. Managing to keep up without straying from the plan. One thing I've noticed, though, is a fairly persistent low grade feeling of sadness that is not the norm for me. I've struggled with depression for most of my life but before starting keto, I'd say that it was well managed.
The feeling I"m describing is different from my normal down-day feelings.
Generally. I would say that I'm feeling happy, motivated, energetic, etc...but there's this underlying tug that feels like I could burst out in tears at any moment
I was wondering if anyone else might have had this same type of experience.
Is it crap-carb detox? Is it that I'm not 'carb-loading' my feelings? Or maybe I'm not addressing the electrolyte issue well enough?
Any insight you all may have is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way at times still, like I'm mourning a loss, but not very acutely. I think it may be natural to grieve the loss of favorite emotional foods? It's greatly enhanced this week, because I've quit smoking recently, and it's the same feeling. I have done research, and it IS normal and common to mourn the loss of these things that we somehow found comfort in, in the past.

I've dealt with it by treating myself gently. These are big changes. :)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks in and feeling similarly: more energy, less moody, but sometimes weepy out of the blue. I've tried to get moving or get outside if I'm sad. That seems to be helping. I think for me it might be lack of sugar and lowered serotonin as a result.
  • ReadyToWin1971
    ReadyToWin1971 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way at times still, like I'm mourning a loss, but not very acutely. I think it may be natural to grieve the loss of favorite emotional foods? It's greatly enhanced this week, because I've quit smoking recently, and it's the same feeling. I have done research, and it IS normal and common to mourn the loss of these things that we somehow found comfort in, in the past.

SuperCarLori: I appreciate your feedback!
    Smoking is definitely next...but I just couldn't tackle that at the same time I started such a change in the way I eat (and comfort!). I believe you're right about the mourning period...it's just so odd to mourn a lifestyle that made me feel so miserable.

Thank you for the reminder to be gentle...I always need that.
  • ReadyToWin1971
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I'm 2 weeks in and feeling similarly: more energy, less moody, but sometimes weepy out of the blue. I've tried to get moving or get outside if I'm sad. That seems to be helping. I think for me it might be lack of sugar and lowered serotonin as a result.

Cadori - It's good to know I'm not alone...or going over the edge. :#
    Wondering, though...how long does it take to get the sugar beast off my back??
  • SuperCarLori
    Options

SuperCarLori: I appreciate your feedback!
    Smoking is definitely next...but I just couldn't tackle that at the same time I started such a change in the way I eat (and comfort!). I believe you're right about the mourning period...it's just so odd to mourn a lifestyle that made me feel so miserable.

Thank you for the reminder to be gentle...I always need that.

No, I wouldn't quit yet... I'm on week one today. I started keto on June 1st....I still don't think I'm completely over sugar yet.... But I did quit smoking, and today I started my 'special lady time', so I'm thinking fondly of it.... You know, hormones lol
  • ReadyToWin1971
    Options
    Yeah...hormones, for sure!! Gaah! Thankfully that was last week for me.
    Congrats on quitting. You can do it!! B)
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Yeah...hormones, for sure!! Gaah! Thankfully that was last week for me.
    Congrats on quitting. You can do it!! B)

Thank you so much, and I hope you start feeling better....
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe it has something to do with Keto flu.
    I have the same issues, and they come up every time I cheat or over do carbs.

I'm a listener of 2KetoDudes. I've been listening to all the back episodes and this reminds me of something that was said. The body's glucose stores when eating carbs lasts three hours (if I remember correctly). That's why the big marathons only take that long to run. When those stores are exhausted people get the shakes, nausea and you often see them breaking down emotionally because their systems have gone into a state of absolute panic.

So does this have something to do with this odd underlying emotional problem? Are our bodies going through a similar panic mode because our "natural" stores are empty and our engines are switching back to fat burning mode? It's a really interesting theory!
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    You are inspiring! I am not a quitter but giving up the smoking is at the top of my list too!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Any kind of major diet change, even a healthy one, is going to put a lot of stress on your body and sadness is a common stress reaction. I would recommend doing things that will help you deal with that stress, take a bath, have a cup of licorice tea (licorice root is awesome for your adrenal glands), or a licorice root supplement if you don't like the taste, set aside some time for reading or gardening or whatever activity you find relaxing.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've been on the keto way of life for 10 months and have take. Fluoxetine for a number of years now. I tend to feel that way during the female time of the month. Other than that I find that keeping up on my electrolytes and other supplements as well as exercising really helps me. And for me, the exercise parts makes a huge difference. Our bodies are all different and I truly believe that my hormones have been out of whack for so long. And this way of eating has also caused my body to adjust it.
  • ReadyToWin1971
    Options
    I honestly believe it has something to do with Keto flu.
    I have the same issues, and they come up every time I cheat or over do carbs.

I'm a listener of 2KetoDudes. I've been listening to all the back episodes and this reminds me of something that was said. The body's glucose stores when eating carbs lasts three hours (if I remember correctly). That's why the big marathons only take that long to run. When those stores are exhausted people get the shakes, nausea and you often see them breaking down emotionally because their systems have gone into a state of absolute panic.

So does this have something to do with this odd underlying emotional problem? Are our bodies going through a similar panic mode because our "natural" stores are empty and our engines are switching back to fat burning mode? It's a really interesting theory!

Thank you, ProCoffeenator! It is, indeed, an interesting theory. Appreciate the tip about 2KetoDudes....will have to check that out, as well.
  • ReadyToWin1971
    Options
    Any kind of major diet change, even a healthy one, is going to put a lot of stress on your body and sadness is a common stress reaction. I would recommend doing things that will help you deal with that stress, take a bath, have a cup of licorice tea (licorice root is awesome for your adrenal glands), or a licorice root supplement if you don't like the taste, set aside some time for reading or gardening or whatever activity you find relaxing.

Hey tcunbeliever....thank you for the suggestions. I'm definitely trying to slow down and nourish myself with non food pleasures. Apparently now I spend a LOT of time looking for Keto recipes, tips & tricks!
    Didn't know that about licorice...will investigate. THANK YOU for the feedback. :)
  • ReadyToWin1971
    Options
    I've been on the keto way of life for 10 months and have take. Fluoxetine for a number of years now. I tend to feel that way during the female time of the month. Other than that I find that keeping up on my electrolytes and other supplements as well as exercising really helps me. And for me, the exercise parts makes a huge difference. Our bodies are all different and I truly believe that my hormones have been out of whack for so long. And this way of eating has also caused my body to adjust it.

Hi noclady...I'm still working out the best way to replenish electrolytes...have tried the Natural CALM drink powders but haven't found one that hits the spot. I've heard folks talk about NuSalt? Thank you for the support!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Is it crap-carb detox? Is it that I'm not 'carb-loading' my feelings? Or maybe I'm not addressing the electrolyte issue well enough?
    Any insight you all may have is greatly appreciated.

It could be the electrolyte imbalance. Fatigue and mind fog are common symptoms of low sodium. I know that feeling worn out often leads to a lower mood for me. I get cranky so much easier. If you haven't started drinking broth every day, adding 1 tsp of salt to water, taking salt tablets or making ketoaid, then you probably haven't done enough to address your sodium needs.

Extra potassium and magnesium (citrate) might help too.

Hopefully that's all it is for you, and it will pass in the next few days.

Welcome to the group. :)
  • ReadyToWin1971
    Options
    Y'all are all great....thank you so much for the support. I am feeling better today. I know this is a huge adjustment. Trying to take each day, meal, moment at a time...it's wonderful to have such generous community for this journey!
    :)