Stalling out :(

Options
grapaj
grapaj Posts: 136 Member
I'm on my 3 (or 4th?) round of PHUL and was with a trainer before that (and SL5x5 before that). So I'm maybe 2 years in to lifting heavy.

After some vacation time this summer my schedule was a bit off with hitting the gym but I was there mostly 3 times a week with probably 3 weeks off.

Now back to my regular schedule I just can't get my lifts back to where they were 2 months ago. I've deloaded my bench and today I couldn't finish my already deloaded final set of 5. My DL has stalled out and I haven't increased it in 2 months.

Everything is the same or less with no progression. Wondering if I need to switch up programs to get my gains back moving upwards?

Sigh.

Replies

• KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help you, but I'm still VERY much a beginner. Hope someone can give you good advice!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I switched to sl5x5 a few months ago for similar reasons. Deloading was rough initially, but I'm finally hitting new numbers now. I'm also eating at or close to TDEE now, and higher carb, where I've been running a deficit until now. That has made a BIG difference for me. The time off is usually good, and recommended from time to time. I question if you're eating enough, especially carbs, before and after your workouts?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You've probably lost a little strength because of your summer schedule. Unfortunately life gets in the way of training (GRRRR!!!) and it happens to all of us. :)

Something that has worked well for me and has also kept things interesting is messing with my rep ranges on the big lifts. Instead of deloading and deloading, or doing 3x5, maybe try doing 3x3 or 1x1, 1x2, 1x3. You don't want to do a 1RM for the 1x1 lift, but 80% of your 1RM to start. Also could do more sets and less reps for each set.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You've probably lost a little strength because of your summer schedule. Unfortunately life gets in the way of training (GRRRR!!!) and it happens to all of us. :)

Something that has worked well for me and has also kept things interesting is messing with my rep ranges on the big lifts. Instead of deloading and deloading, or doing 3x5, maybe try doing 3x3 or 1x1, 1x2, 1x3. You don't want to do a 1RM for the 1x1 lift, but 80% of your 1RM to start. Also could do more sets and less reps for each set.

Thanks !