IF Question

Options
Is it still considered fasting if you drink coffee with coconut oil in the morning? I have it in my mind that because I'm not chewing actual food food and only eating around dinner time that I'm still doing intermittent fasting...or am I completely wrong because I'm still consuming calories from the coconut oil and coffee??

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I only drink water and black coffee, but have heard that a small amount of fat is OK too since its impact on insulin levels is limited.
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I only put one tablespoon of oil in my coffee. I just didn't know if that would defeat the purpose of fasting.
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule of thumb is anything under 50 Calories is considered fasting. Maybe change to a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon?
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. Maybe I'll just stick to water and black coffee in the AM now.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I have replaced my coffee with hot water. After a few days it stopped bothering me and I used to go through a lot of coffee every day.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I use a teaspoon of HWC per mug of coffee. Really wish I could do black but it just seems too hard for me. Good luck!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That would be a "bulletproof" or "fat fast" with the coconut oil. I can't imagine it would hinder any possible weight loss or progress on reversing insulin resistance if that's at all an issue. It won't trigger an insulin response so, it will mimic a fasted state for all intensive purposes. It will also boost ketones and may make fasting more possible to stick with without fighting hunger.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    That's so funny because I was wondering the same thing this morning!
    I've only had coffee with heavy cream since 3pm yesterday. Well Keto-aide too but... I gotta have that! I was wondering if I could make it through the rest of the day with coffee and heavy cream and consider that a coffee fast? Lol.
    Hey! While I'm sick I might as well take advantage in f this whole stomach only wants this momentum!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    That's so funny because I was wondering the same thing this morning!
    I've only had coffee with heavy cream since 3pm yesterday. Well Keto-aide too but... I gotta have that! I was wondering if I could make it through the rest of the day with coffee and heavy cream and consider that a coffee fast? Lol.
    Hey! While I'm sick I might as well take advantage in f this whole stomach only wants this momentum!!

The proteins and sugar in the cream may have a bigger effect on a fasted state than other fats like butter or coconut oil. So, if you want to mimic a fasted state as much as possible, avoid the cream.
  • Miss1Bec
    Miss1Bec Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you have to fast when your on keto diet?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Miss1Bec wrote: »

Nope. Not at all
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »

I use a teaspoon of HWC per mug of coffee. Really wish I could do black but it just seems too hard for me. Good luck!

Me too!!
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I too was wondering about the bpc and fasting too... I find that if I have my bpc coffee in the am I do no eat the rest of the day until about 4-5pm. I have dinner and sometimes a snack and then I am good for the night. The BPC really fills me up and then sometimes I will have another coffee at work black or chicken broth around lunch time.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    That would be a "bulletproof" or "fat fast" with the coconut oil. I can't imagine it would hinder any possible weight loss or progress on reversing insulin resistance if that's at all an issue. It won't trigger an insulin response so, it will mimic a fasted state for all intensive purposes. It will also boost ketones and may make fasting more possible to stick with without fighting hunger.

There was a guy in a video a few months ago that got posted that supported adding fat if it made doing IF easier I remember. There is another IF active tread running currently and there sure are a lot of different ideas about what is IF and how it works I realized. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

There was a guy in a video a few months ago that got posted that supported adding fat if it made doing IF easier I remember. There is another IF active tread running currently and there sure are a lot of different ideas about what is IF and how it works I realized. :)

That's how I always do IF. I need the fatty coffee in the morning for appetite and also for ADHD. :wink:
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Miss1Bec wrote: »

No, but for those who have insulin resistance, it helps decrease it.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Almost all of the top guru people I listen to on podcasts about Keto/IMF have a cup of coffee with butter and MCT oil (usually Bulletproof Brain Octane) - and consider it "extending the fast".

I don't think normal coconut oil contains the same properties as MCT oil that actually helps produce more keytones in your blood which amps up your fat burning abilities.

Personally I'm not a coffee person. So I drink a cup of green or oolong tea in the morning with Brain Octane in it. Frothing in the butter into the tea like you are supposed to didn't settle well in my stomach for some reason but I could eat it fine. No idea....I pretty much go without butter in the morning these days and am having success on the scale and with hunger control.