I'm still not losing weight

Options
Cryren8972
Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
I started June 3 at 209 lbs. I now weigh 198 as of this morning.
I have been staying between 1200-1500 calories and 20-30g of carbs daily. I've cut WAY down on dairy.
I'm busting it out at the gym.
I don't understand. I'm not giving up, I just need an answer. SOMETHING has to work.

Replies

• _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Have you measured? Are your clothes feeling better? The scale is not the best way to measure your progress! it's a lying b! the tape measure is my best friend and encourages me with the truth while the scale only plays with my emotions lol

What she said! To me measuring is a better way to see your progress. Especially if you are hitting the gym. You could be losing fat but gaining muscle.
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not eating too little? How often are you at the gym and what are you doing? If you do not eat enough while killing yourself at the gym, you won't lose faster. It's counter intuitive, but that's generally how it works.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    I'm currently doing an 8 week challenge at the gym. We took measurements last week and will take them again next week.
    I know I shouldn't put a ton of emphasis on the scales, but a girl can't weigh close to 200 lbs forever, right? lol
    As for not eating enough calories...that honestly is about all I can shove in, in a day. Doing low carb, I'm just not that hungry. I'm trying to make sure I get adequate protein, while keeping my carbs low, and getting in healthy fats.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    ryanb1385 wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not eating too little? How often are you at the gym and what are you doing? If you do not eat enough while killing yourself at the gym, you won't lose faster. It's counter intuitive, but that's generally how it works.

Does this still hold true when fat adapted? I thought once burning fat that a caloric deficit, even a big one, was fine when there was a lot to lose as the body would burn stored fat for fuel.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    I'm trying to make sure I get adequate protein, while keeping my carbs low, and getting in healthy fats.

This could be a signal that an adjustment is in order. You should focus on getting adequate fats while keeping carbs low. Too much protein can be a problem in a LCHF diet in terms of staying in ketosis(if that's your goal) and ultimately tamper with fat loss.

I also agree that you may be a bit too low in calorie count. Add 1/3 cup(a handful) of peanuts a day to add 330 cals instantly :) Tasty source of fat and fiber.

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Too low a calorie count signals the body that is is going into starvation mode and must conserve what it has. Counterproductive for your health, as well.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I immediately put on weight whenever I exercise. And it tends to stick around for me.
    I just started lifting last week and Ive been up 5 pounds since the first day. It's never dipped back down at all.
    Is working out a new thing too? Could be hiding weight loss in muscle inflammation...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    ryanb1385 wrote: »

Does this still hold true when fat adapted? I thought once burning fat that a caloric deficit, even a big one, was fine when there was a lot to lose as the body would burn stored fat for fuel.

Eating at a deficit stresses the body.
    Exercise stresses the body.
    Stress creates cortisol, and you're not likely to lose much unless you force it under those circumstances and that's a bad idea.
    If you're going to exercise, you need to eat enough food. Try eating at what your ideal weights maintenance calories would be. Not the lowest weight that's considered normal for you, but a weight that's in the middle or high end of the ideal weight range.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Also want to add, that 11 pounds in 15 weeks is certainly good loss.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Just asking...
    How do you know you "stay between" 1200-1500 daily?
    Your food diary is open.
    It shows many days of 800 calories or less.
    Some of those are 200-400 calories.
    There are ~18 days of ~100 days with no entries at all.
    My food diary shows logging breaks also.
    I even logged elsewhere one week.
    Logging is a PIA sometimes.
    Some people are good at estimating.
    I never was.
    Just asking.

On the days that you don't see logging, I've typically logged those foods before and know about what I ate.
    If I have a question, I log to make sure I'm still staying in the ballpark.
    I was only eating about 800-1000 calories a day...before starting an exercise program. I didn't want to work out with my caloric intake being that low.
  • Cryren8972
    Options
    And...11 pounds in 15 weeks is pretty darn good! Kudos for that :)

Thank you! However, the first 7 lbs happened the first week. lol.
    It's just stubbornly hanging on since then. I expected a little bit of an issue when I started working out...but not for it to be this stubborn. Others in the class are losing already, and they're in the same exercise program. I guess my body just loves hanging on to water and weight.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    And...11 pounds in 15 weeks is pretty darn good! Kudos for that :)

Here Here!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @Cryren8972 -
    skin snakes and other unwanted badges of your successful experiment. Hooray!

...Tiger stripes, they're called tiger stripes...

RoaaaaAAAR!! Yes, ma'am! Clarification? I assume that's for the critters formerly known as stretch marks, not the 3-D flesh folds, si?