Foods you thought you'd miss before LCHF/keto

Options
2»

Replies

• LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Bread is the big one for me. I used to make really nice bread, including sourdough. I rarely think about it now.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Bread, potatoes, pasta, rice. Don't miss them at all. Have trouble with the typical sugar based sweets. Even on very low keto carbs I really struggle with that. Wish it would go away, but even after 1 1 /2 years it really hasn't even let up a bit. Not giving up though.
  • auroralaura69
    auroralaura69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's crazy how I was able to find so many replacements for things I thought I couldn't live without. Somebody mentioned dumplings.... I am crazy for them! But found a recipe for dumplings made with glucomanan (spelling?) and they are better than the "normal" ones and zero carbs! I miss bread though.... I have always been a sandwich girl. I make different lc breads, but nothing beats French bread. I did notice that like many others, I bought sugar free candies and forgot I been had them months later! I really have lost (most) of my sweet tooth!
  • auroralaura69
    auroralaura69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    tribal351 wrote: »
    Pizza. Cheeseburgers. Cheesecake. Ice cream. Doritos.
    I've tried substitutes for pizza (fathead pizza) and it was delicious, but caused a stall in my weight loss. I decided I could live without it.

Sadly, I don't think there is a substitute in the world for Doritos! I love them so much, I would practically just lick the spices off them and not eat the chips!!
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    French fries. I was fairly obsessed with them and I honestly don't miss them at all. :)

Still must have them now and then. Hate myself but LOVE the fries. Especially with a nice thick gravy to dip them in.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    All things bread! Sticky buns, crescent rolls, toasted sour dough bread. The only bread type thing I won't miss is the stuffing from the Thanksgiving turkey. I won't miss it because I'll eat it with abandon. And it will be covered with real gravy made with carb heavy white flour. I'll be giving thanks that Thanksgiving is only once a year.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've tried substitutes for pizza (fathead pizza) and it was delicious, but caused a stall in my weight loss. I decided I could live without it.

Sadly, I don't think there is a substitute in the world for Doritos! I love them so much, I would practically just lick the spices off them and not eat the chips!!

@auroralaura69 - Microwave shredded or sliced Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar on parchment paper or a waxed paper plate (for easy removal). Since this cheese is white, in my machine it takes 2-3 minutes, depending on how much I use. Most of it should lightly brown, and I like to go until there are no white spots remaining. While still hot, sprinkle on the Ranch popcorn seasoning or ranch dressing mix, etc. (Any popcorn seasoning can be used, Nacho Cheese, White Cheddar, etc. - the usually have some sort of sweetener in them, but it is minimal due to the amount needed, so still super low carb.) Let cool slightly, bend back the plate to lift cooled cheese crisp out (I bend back the plate all the way around to free a bit at a time, then "pop" up the center). Break into pieces of desired size. Tastes about 100x better than Doritos.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@auroralaura69 - Microwave shredded or sliced Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar on parchment paper or a waxed paper plate (for easy removal). Since this cheese is white, in my machine it takes 2-3 minutes, depending on how much I use. Most of it should lightly brown, and I like to go until there are no white spots remaining. While still hot, sprinkle on the Ranch popcorn seasoning or ranch dressing mix, etc. (Any popcorn seasoning can be used, Nacho Cheese, White Cheddar, etc. - the usually have some sort of sweetener in them, but it is minimal due to the amount needed, so still super low carb.) Let cool slightly, bend back the plate to lift cooled cheese crisp out (I bend back the plate all the way around to free a bit at a time, then "pop" up the center). Break into pieces of desired size. Tastes about 100x better than Doritos.

I will have to try this. I still have several flavors of popcorn seasoning powders from my days of eating popcorn almost every night.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I wish I had a microwave... But no, I am not buying one just to make doritos.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Bonny132 - you can do it in the oven, they just don't get quite as "fluffy." Make sure you use parchment paper in the oven. Lower temp for longer gets it better, if i remember right. You can google "cheese crisps" for "recipes." Word of warning - use any seasonings with dairy (like popcorn seasonings) after the cheese is cooked, or they'll burn. Seasonings like herbs/seasoned salt/etc. can be used before putting them in the oven.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. Everything else like rice, pasta, sweets I don't miss. But potatoes I miss. I've tried different things with cauliflower and radish but there is just not one acceptable sub for me. So once in a while I'll have a couple fries or bites of my kids' potatoes.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Potatoes. Everything else like rice, pasta, sweets I don't miss. But potatoes I miss. I've tried different things with cauliflower and radish but there is just not one acceptable sub for me. So once in a while I'll have a couple fries or bites of my kids' potatoes.

have you tried this? I leave out the onions and go heavier on the bacon and cheese. I have also added jalapeño, but I add that to a lot of things I make.
    rkbz8opjwdej.png
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Forgot - I also ignore the "low fat" instructions, of course!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

have you tried this? I leave out the onions and go heavier on the bacon and cheese. I have also added jalapeño, but I add that to a lot of things I make.
    rkbz8opjwdej.png

I made something like this (followed KetoKarma on IG's recipe) and it turned out really well. I actually made it for both Christmas dinners I went to. Thinking of going this route for Thanksgiving as well...my first while low carb. BRING ON THE TURKEY SKIN!!!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I actually miss and sometimes crave all of the above mentioned foods. I know that it will never leave me but LCHF helps keep it under the surface.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Bonny132 - you can do it in the oven, they just don't get quite as "fluffy." Make sure you use parchment paper in the oven. Lower temp for longer gets it better, if i remember right. You can google "cheese crisps" for "recipes." Word of warning - use any seasonings with dairy (like popcorn seasonings) after the cheese is cooked, or they'll burn. Seasonings like herbs/seasoned salt/etc. can be used before putting them in the oven.

Thank you, I wonder if it will work with dairy free cheese too? Hmm...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Bonny132 - as long as it melts like cheese, I would think so. You're "cooking out" the liquid and some of the fat. I've never tried it ... but...

http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2011/09/cheese-crisps.html
  • Bonny132
    Options
    I'll definitely try it out, trying to eliminate as much dairy as I can from my diet as my body does not seem to like it too much. A little bit too much is a catastrophe, but I do love Dorito's!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Bread.....

And I still miss it. I don't have cravings for it, but I think about it a lot because I remember how awesome it is. LOL. Once I get closer to goal weight I'll be able to add in some of the like sprouted breads, etc. But trying to keep them completely out at the moment to help progress the scale.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I notices a lot of people mentioned bread. As I thought about it, I sort of miss bread, but only because I always used to use it to wipe my plate clean of the juices left from a steak or the alfredo sauce left from pasta or I put so much butter on it that people would stare at me. At restaurants with the little packages, I would use 2-3 for one roll or piece of toast. I have not found a good alternative for wiping up the left over juices from the good food because it seems the only things that work are carby.