Lab results

Options

Replies

• Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So looking at the CBC results and MPV is higher than standard range.
    MPV 7-11 fl 12.8
    So I googled it and the first thing I found is a study on Gestational Diabetes (Not pregnant) and it says there is a connection between elevated MPV and insulin resistance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4559623/

I don't understand a lot of this but I think it says the same thing.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0914508711002292

So, that's interesting, huh?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The second article is a bit more interesting. Seems to imply MPV is correlated to slow coronary flow and to insulin resistance. Given your A1C is so close to pre-diabetic (and I agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ regarding those standards being too lax), I wouldn't be surprised if your A1C had been pre-diabetic or even diabetic (6.5+) had you had it checked prior to changing your WOE if this connection is accurate.
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    All this stuff I'm looking at makes me feel like I'm a walking talking heart attack. Slow coronary flow sounds really bad too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Rainqueen77 , Was it you who was going to get a referral to an endocrinologist and if so did you get it scheduled?
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    I have a referral to the diabetes and endocrinology center but its for diabetic teaching. Guess that's another question for my appointment Thursday.
  • Rainqueen77
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Given your A1C is so close to pre-diabetic (and I agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ regarding those standards being too lax), I wouldn't be surprised if your A1C had been pre-diabetic or even diabetic (6.5+) had you had it checked prior to changing your WOE if this connection is accurate.

I'm sure it was crazy high. I had a blood sugar that was 400 something that scared me to keto. Found keto that evening googling ways to get blood sugar down. I'm sure it was high before that one test but I'm guessing not quite that high because I felt totally off and that's the first and only time I felt that way.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Good for you on doing your own research and trying to find ways to improve your diet and blood sugar :)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Was arterial draw.
    Arterial would be VERY unusual. Most standard labs (including all of the ones you quoted) are typically venous draws. ("An arterial blood sample is collected from an artery, primarily to determine arterial blood gases.")

A1C is an average - so it will be lower based on averaging in responses to low-carb meals. Fasting BG is the last to fall - so diabetic readings for fasting BG is not unusual - even with a non-diabetic A1C.

• Rainqueen77
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't know what I'm talking about. Doh!

Very good to know!
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    Saw the PA yesterday to discuss my results. He didn't say much but he made an appt for me with the endos PA in 3 weeks. Also started metformin hcl 500mg today. I am hoping my fbs starts decreasing along with my IR. Praying it clears up my acne, I'm too old for that *kitten*.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Saw the PA yesterday to discuss my results. He didn't say much but he made an appt for me with the endos PA in 3 weeks. Also started metformin hcl 500mg today. I am hoping my fbs starts decreasing along with my IR. Praying it clears up my acne, I'm too old for that *kitten*.

I always thought my acne should have stopped before my gray hair started. It is irritating having both.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Was arterial draw. Fasting from 9pm to 11am when blood was drawn.

I wasn't expecting anything good. That's for sure. Before keto I was a mess. Only ate junk and lots of it. Starred may 12th at 362# am 290 today.

The dr ordered me a blood sugar kit and it reads in the 90s. While the one I purchased reads 20 above. So not exact. Lol

He did say he does those tests every 3 months so I guess we'll see.

Thanks for input. I see him Thursday.

Glad you're on a good path now, tho! I suspect you'll only improve. Did you ever watch Fathead? It was the first video I watched that made the light go on in my head re: cholesterol and the good and bad types. It used to be on YouTube but now you can find it free here:

• Rainqueen77
    Options
    I met with the Endo's PA. I asked her if she heard of keto. She told me she didn't agree with starving and depriving yourself. Switched the metformin for metformin XR and made an appointment with the actual Endo. Apparently her only job was to check my feet and blood pressure. Turns out the Endo appointment is 15 minutes long too! I called another office and was told their consults are an hour with the doctor, I was so shocked.

I asked the PA why I should eat a potato with dinner if it would spike my blood sugar up to 300, isn't it healthier to avoid the spike, her response - make sure you wait 2 hours to test.

I've only been given 2 strips a day for testing. Fasting and before dinner. Still in the 100-120 range with a 30 day average of 111. Next appointment is in February and I can get bloodwork done before that.

• Rainqueen77
    Options
    Also I asked about the increased mpv and she said it means nothing. I asked if it was related to insulin resistance and she said no, it's nothing. Why do they test it if it means nothing? I have a huge list of questions, it's sad I have to wait until February. In the mean time I'm going to keto on.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Keto is not starving and depriving yourself. It doesn't make sense to eat high carb if you have pre-diabetes or diabetes. Or insulin resistance.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Take the metformin XR, keep doing Keto like you have as you obviously are doing well on it as evidenced by your weight loss and fairly normal A1C. That's my advice. I'm sure your labs were much worse when you started, especially if you said you had a glucose of 400 at one point.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Popping in to say good for you for asking questions of the Endo PA. Too bad the appointments are so short and you're not given any real answers in that 15 minutes.

If I had a lot of experience with doctors and doctor visits I'd probably favor the doc that is always running behind schedule because they might be choosing to spend more than their allocated time with their patients AND I would couple that with being their 1st appointment in the day so I wasn't the one waiting. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @Rainqueen77 -

Per Dr. Bernstein, if you can, switch from generic metformin XR to name-brand Glucophage XR, because it's more effective and easier on your digestive system.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394798/t2d-glucophage-name-brand-metformin-generic

Also, as there's a wide spectrum of Individual differences, it may be that some combination of Glucophage XR and immediate-release Glucophage is the most effective strategy for a given T2D (though XR is usually easiest on the guts).

Good luck!
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    I asked if glucophage was easier on the stomach, she said she didn't know about that but the xr was. Just started that Friday so we'll see what happens.