Protein Bars

Options
I eat one protein bar a day. They are my go to treat that I look forward to. Can they stall weight loss? What are some good bars that have no sugar alcohols? Does anyone know how much sugar alcohol is OK to have without creating a weight loss stall? I'm wondering if that is the cause of Little to no weight loss this week. This is my fourth week and I've been losing consistently until this week. It really has me down

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You won't lose weight every week and it won't keep going at the same rate as you start out at either. There WILL be weeks that the scale even goes up but this does not necessarily mean that you've eaten too much or ate the wrong foods. What was working the first weeks should continue to work. It doesn't make sense that it would suddenly stop. Your body is in control of weight loss and it often has a lot more important things going on sometimes.
    Keep doing what was working and don't stress the scale. I learned not to.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10353600/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-stall#latest

Also, the only protein bar that I will eat is Primal Kitchen. Cheapest at Thrive Market online store.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just find a really good powder. Much lower carbs, very lean, and usually much more delicious and filling (due to the weight of the water) than bars. Example for me: Chocolate Caramel MyProtein, 3g fat, 2g carbs, 38g protein, but that's two scoops, which can make you about 20 ounces of shake.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Quest bars somewhat often since re-starting keto and my weight loss has been going well. I know some have shared that they cause cravings or other problems but they might be worth a try. I also tried Atkins bars and while I liked them, they were one of the few things I've tried on this WOE that did not agree with my digestive system.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. If it was working before, it probably still is. Just give it another week or so and the weight will come off again. :)

I tend to skip protein bars due to cost and sweeteners. I have insulin resistance and those bars still have more sugars (or sugar alcohols) than I want. I generally go with nuts for a treat, or coffee with coconut oil and a protein powder.... just not too hot or the whey curdles. *shudder*
  • 53YOWM
    53YOWM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to find that my favorite "meat" bars (Epic lamb), have a whooping 11g net carb content. That's more than 1/3 my day's allowance! I guess that's better than Luna at 20+g. Krave jerky has 12g. So far the lowest net carb bar I've come across is the Kind bar with 9g, and only certain flavors such as "Dark Chocolate Mocha Almond." This also has no sugar alcohols. They do this because they add chicory root fiber.

Good luck!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love quest bars but I find they make me hungry and I crave more sweets after eating them. Mission1 bars don't have the same affect on me though. Quest and Mission1 bars have about 4-6g net carbs per bar minus sugar alcohols.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love quest bars as a treat - but there is something in them that can trigger cravings for me.

But, as to the main question, their impact on my weight loss is identical to the weight loss associated with eating/not eating any other food with the same number of calories. As long as the craving trigger doesn't make me eat more than I intended.
  • 53YOWM
    Options
    I read somewhere that just thinking about a sugary treat is enough to stimulate an insulin response. I look at the packaging of the Quest and Mission1 bars and get turned off by it for this reason. Besides, they both list soluble corn fiber on their list of ingredients, but no mention of non-GMO....

Frankly the Kind bars trigger cravings, too. They're just too sweet! I think I'll stick with and recommend Tanka and Epic bars.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have Marigold bars ... https://www.marigoldbars.com/nutritionallabels/. Some have more net carbs than others, but in the range of 5 - 7 net carbs. Natural ingredients, non-gmo. I find they satisfy my sweet tooth without being overly sweet. I usually cut the bars in half and only eat half. I like them better than the Quest bars, and for me most of the Atkins bars are too sweet. Here's a link to them on Amazon. http://amzn.to/2cGaD8v. they are more expensive than Quest or Atkins though. I just recently found them and am working through the combination pack to see which ones I like the best. They come packed in ice and need to be refrigerated. I haven't tried the Tanka or Epic bars yet.
  • 53YOWM
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The marigold bars look ideal. I like the plain packaging, too. The Tanka & Epic bars are shelf stable. They won't satisfy a sweet tooth. The Epic lamb bar is a bit like eating a slab of butter with a large concentration of chewy lumps in it. (I love it!) But the individually wrapped packages are a beech to open. I usually use the scissor on my pocket knife. Thanks for posting!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I love love love Quest bars but at 4g net carbs I can't have them often. I try to keep my limit to around 20g a day. My favorite one is the Smores one but they did just come out with a blueberry muffin one that looks yummy too.

Costco has low carb protein bars as well under their Kirkland signature brand, IIRC a box of 18 was less than $20 and it comes in brownie and cookie dough flavors.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just find a really good powder. Much lower carbs, very lean, and usually much more delicious and filling (due to the weight of the water) than bars. Example for me: Chocolate Caramel MyProtein, 3g fat, 2g carbs, 38g protein, but that's two scoops, which can make you about 20 ounces of shake.

hi, where do you buy your powder at?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    http://m.myprotein.com/home.dept
    This is the MyProtein UK site, I am sure they have a US site too. I just spotted protein pancake mix!
  • mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I recently tried the Soleil bars at HiHealth. Personal favorite is the Salted Caramel Pecan. At around $3 a bar, they are a bit on the pricey side, but I like their ingredient list and I only use them occasionally.

http://www.hihealth.com/brands/soleil.html
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    53YOWM wrote: »
    I read somewhere that just thinking about a sugary treat is enough to stimulate an insulin response. I look at the packaging of the Quest and Mission1 bars and get turned off by it for this reason. Besides, they both list soluble corn fiber on their list of ingredients, but no mention of non-GMO....

Frankly the Kind bars trigger cravings, too. They're just too sweet! I think I'll stick with and recommend Tanka and Epic bars.

I wrote to Quest when they were first changing their formulation to a higher fat model and asked about the change in fibre. They specifically said it was NON-GMO corn and that they are Gluten Free although they do not state it on their labels. @53YOWM
  • 53YOWM
    Options
    Thanks so much, @canadjineh. I bought two but I haven't tried one yet. They were on sale: 2 for $5.
  • klaak
    klaak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I happened upon these (can't even remember how) and I ordered a sample pack http://www.ketobars.com/

I think the bars are delicious!! Very much like a fudge brownie. They are small but that's ok, it's only for a snack. I am going to use them while traveling for work when keto friendly food might not be so easily available.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are a HUGE trigger for sugar cravings for me.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    @klaak I've also ordered these bars. Very dense and filling when in need of a snack, but very expensive. I told myself I would stop buying them and start making my own lol from what I remember, they are about $2.50 per bar plus shipping costs.
    I find when I purchase snack foods, I tend to go way way over calories. I do better by eating 2 big, filling meals per day.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you have a Fresh Thyme market near you (list of stores in the midwest here), they're offering Raw Rev GLO bars for $.88 this week (possibly a typo in their ad - but the photo clearly shows Raw Rev GLO bars, not the regular Raw Revolution carb bomb).

The PB and sea salt bars are very low in net carbs and taste better - and much less sweet - than the ones from Quest.