For the Data Junky, nerd folks

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
edited September 2016 in Social Groups
I've been testing blood glucose upon waking, before meals and 1 and 2 hours after meals and then today after lifting while still fasted just for kicks. Totally normal. Stop looking at me like that.

Anyway, I then started searching for information about what blood sugar might be considered normal, optimal, whatever for a long term keto person like myself. Mostly because I guess I'm surprised that my blood sugars are consistently 80's and 90's and I'm surprised it never seems to go lower at any point. I don't know why I think that. Just do. Not that I believe it matters or anything. I don't. Just curiosity. That's all.

So I found this info that I found to be very interesting and it discusses the topic of a Glucose Ketone Index and how it may show your body's level of fat adaptation. I know, that's a wishy washy subject because it's like, how do you know, what the hell does it even mean anyway? Right?
Well, using this the GKI as a source, you could basically see how well your body is adapting, in this way meaning, truly depending on ketones and having low insulin levels even if your blood glucose isn't those super low numbers you hear some people talking about. Because blood sugar isn't really an indicator of your insulin production. But this GKI can clue you in on your insulin production. Kinda cool huh!

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/07/20/the-glucose-ketone-relationship/

So, here's the way it's calculated.
You take a BG reading in mmol/L or convert the mg/dL reading by dividing it by 18.
Then you take a blood ketone reading. Must be a blood reading. And divide the glucose by the ketones.
Then you have your GKI reading.

At first this article suggests anything 10 or under is good for an average healthy person and anything under 2 is the target for a cancer patient or epileptic and other therapeutic applications. The lower the better for them.
He eventually says targeting 6 or less for health may be best but I don't recall why...
Anyway, I had one Ketone strip left and since I'm still fasted after my workout, I thought this might be an awesome time to determine my GKI.

BG was 80mg/dL or 4.4 and ketones were 1.5 for a GKI of 2.9.
Pretty good indicator that my insulin production is very low if I understand this correctly. Of course, this is just true in this moment and gathering more data, especially my non fasted data would be very interesting. I would like to know more of an average over time. That would be very interesting to me.
Anyway, I'm just geeking out today and thought I'd share.
Now I need to go order more test strips!

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    **brain explodes trying to understand math** ....

**gives up and goes back to being a nerd, instead of a geek, playing video games...**

But anyhoo! That's pretty awesome. Especially glucose testing after lifting... That's totally normal... :lol:
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ that's awesome and seems pretty easy to calculate. Are you blood glucose and blood ketone measurement tools the same device or are they two separate devices. I have only ever measure my ketones with ketostix so not super reliable and does not output a number of any kind. Do tools that read your blood hurt? I've never had any problems with getting shots or anything but I'm not sure about pricking myself daily.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    did you read the brain cancer story that was in that article...totally amazing
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/IF.pdf

This is an excellent article for those interested in Intermittent Fasting-found within the link in @Sunny_Bunny_ original post. Thanks @Sunny_Bunny_
  • jabu12345
    jabu12345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cool! I love geeking out on this stuff. I'm going to find out my GKI number.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ that's awesome and seems pretty easy to calculate. Are you blood glucose and blood ketone measurement tools the same device or are they two separate devices. I have only ever measure my ketones with ketostix so not super reliable and does not output a number of any kind. Do tools that read your blood hurt? I've never had any problems with getting shots or anything but I'm not sure about pricking myself daily.

Technically mine are not the same device but only because I don't have the glucose test strips that work with that meter. It is capable of testing both. Just have to buy both strips. My daughter is T1D so I'm just using her glucose strips since she gets so many.
    This is a link to get a free meter (same as mine) with the purchase of test strips.
    https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/specials.html
    Probably only for certain countries or even US only. I have no idea. Check it out.

It does slightly hurt but it's just a tiny prick. You have to do it off to the side of your finger. Not directly on the tip of your finger and not directly in the center. You have fewer nerve endings there and sometimes I can't feel it hardly at all.
    I won't let a tiny and incredibly short duration of discomfort stop me. Mostly because I feel like if my daughter can test 5-10 times a day, or more, every day for the rest of her life then I can suck it up and do it occasionally and not whine about it. Sorry, this is a touchy subject. :wink: When she was first diagnosed, she would cry and cry when it was time to test or take a shot and her fingers were so sore and bruised but she had to keep poking them. Many times I would agree to test with her just so she knew I understood how it felt. I wouldn't test nearly as much as her so I would always test the same spot on the same finger so I was experiencing the soreness so that I could understand her reluctance and be as sensitive as possible. So I get a little cranky when I hear "OMG! I could NEVER poke myself even once or twice a day". I promise you that you can. And it's awesome that you can do it by choice.
    Anyway, I've poked myself about 15 times over the last 36 hours or so. Some of them because I couldn't get any blood to come out! I guess I'm not a bleeder! And I'm using different spots and have zero soreness so far. Once, I chose a spot too centered and it was a doozy, but it only hurt for like a minute. No biggie.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    did you read the brain cancer story that was in that article...totally amazing
    kpk54 wrote: »

This is an excellent article for those interested in Intermittent Fasting-found within the link in @Sunny_Bunny_ original post. Thanks @Sunny_Bunny_

I haven't checked them out yet. Definitely will do!
    jabu12345 wrote: »
    Cool! I love geeking out on this stuff. I'm going to find out my GKI number.

Let us know what you get.
    I'm going to test blood sugar with some different foods and will use urine ketone as a reference to ketosis afterward because I'm out of blood test strips and because I'm just curious and don't want to pay $2 per test for curiosities sake. But I am going to order some more strips soon just so I can check different times of day, non fasted and such to see if I can figure out a basic idea of my average. For no reason other than I just want to know. :smile:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    So after my 80 BG I ate 2 beef patties with cheese and mayo and a small piece of chicken breast and tested at 83 one hour later. No surprise there.
    Then I decided to have some coconut flakes and probably about 12 almonds just to see what happened and an hour after that I tested at 92 but had large ketones on the urine test.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So after my 80 BG I ate 2 beef patties with cheese and mayo and a small piece of chicken breast and tested at 83 one hour later. No surprise there.
    Then I decided to have some coconut flakes and probably about 12 almonds just to see what happened and an hour after that I tested at 92 but had large ketones on the urine test.

thank you for being a guinea pig in the name of Keto! lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

That was a very good explanation of fasting of all kinds. I think I'll try my coffee without my MCT oil tomorrow for that true fasted state instead of the fat fasted work around I've always done. Don't know if I can keep that up since I use the mct as a supplement for ADHD, but who knows. Maybe I can just move it to a late afternoon dose instead.
    It has made me want to tweek my fasting game. Lol
  • 53YOWM
    53YOWM Posts: 40 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    -snip-
    This is a link to get a free meter (same as mine) with the purchase of test strips.
    https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/specials.html
    Probably only for certain countries or even US only. I have no idea. Check it out.

It does slightly hurt but it's just a tiny prick. You have to do it off to the side of your finger. Not directly on the tip of your finger and not directly in the center. You have fewer nerve endings there and sometimes I can't feel it hardly at all.
    I won't let a tiny and incredibly short duration of discomfort stop me. Mostly because I feel like if my daughter can test 5-10 times a day, or more, every day for the rest of her life then I can suck it up and do it occasionally and not whine about it. Sorry, this is a touchy subject. :wink: When she was first diagnosed, she would cry and cry when it was time to test or take a shot and her fingers were so sore and bruised but she had to keep poking them. Many times I would agree to test with her just so she knew I understood how it felt. I wouldn't test nearly as much as her so I would always test the same spot on the same finger so I was experiencing the soreness so that I could understand her reluctance and be as sensitive as possible. So I get a little cranky when I hear "OMG! I could NEVER poke myself even once or twice a day". I promise you that you can. And it's awesome that you can do it by choice.
    Anyway, I've poked myself about 15 times over the last 36 hours or so. Some of them because I couldn't get any blood to come out! I guess I'm not a bleeder! And I'm using different spots and have zero soreness so far. Once, I chose a spot too centered and it was a doozy, but it only hurt for like a minute. No biggie.
    You are the quintessential mom. I remember how hard it was to do a one-time on my daughter. All we needed was one prick for a mail order blood type test.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the offer of the free meter. I'm wondering if I should go for it. It might be useful. I'm not diabetic, but I tend to go into metabolic syndrome just as easily as looking at a box of donuts. Some experts think that diabetes causes obesity, not the other way around.

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Love love love! I'm going to start reading these articles now :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

Great article, and I like the keto food pyramid at the bottom. I thought I was fasting every day until 11am but turns out adding HWC to my coffee in the AM ruins the fast. It's 100 calories for 2tbsps. Darn it. I'll definitely try fasting tonight/tomorrow and I'll have a nice big brunch!

I do have an odd problem though.. when fasting in the AM, I'm a little hungry but I want to power through it and wait until lunch, or at least 11am. The only problem is I work in a very quiet office so everyone can hear my tummy complaining and it's kind of embarrassing. Any tips on keeping tummy grumbling down and getting into IF overall?
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    OMG I thought I was the only one who does BG finger sticks just to see how I'm responding to different foods. That was one of the things I never understood being diabetic was how do you know how the meal affected you if you only take a before reading and not an after reading. I've done days of full testing before and after meals just to see how my body is responding. I am out of town for the weekend and forgot to pack the meter and test strips, but you can bet I'll be testing the first chance I get. Thanks for the info ... Love it!
  • 53YOWM
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    -snip-
    I do have an odd problem though.. when fasting in the AM, I'm a little hungry but I want to power through it and wait until lunch, or at least 11am. The only problem is I work in a very quiet office so everyone can hear my tummy complaining and it's kind of embarrassing. Any tips on keeping tummy grumbling down and getting into IF overall?
    Try seltzer water. I like to drink it when I'm in that state. But instead of tummy noises, you might have another noise, like BUUUURRRRP. ;)

• 53YOWM
    Options
    Have you seen http://www.DiabetesWarrior.net @MiamiDawn? His blog is like one long-running BG science experiment with intermittent "jabs" at the ADA.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @53YOWM yes, and follow them on Facebook. I particularly like that he believes that you can't "cure" diabetes, but that you can keep it under control with the LCHF diet.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    OMG I thought I was the only one who does BG finger sticks just to see how I'm responding to different foods. That was one of the things I never understood being diabetic was how do you know how the meal affected you if you only take a before reading and not an after reading. I've done days of full testing before and after meals just to see how my body is responding. I am out of town for the weekend and forgot to pack the meter and test strips, but you can bet I'll be testing the first chance I get. Thanks for the info ... Love it!

Since I kept forgetting my meter, I purchased an extra (One Touch Mini, cheap on Amazon) to keep in my purse.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_

Thanks for the link.... Lots of (LC) food for thought!

This concept doesn't seem to click for me in regard to folks who aren't diabetic, though, since they don't have insulin resistance - and therefore wouldnt have elevated insulin levels - in the first place.

If my BG levels bobbed steadily in 80-95 waters (by some miracle!), I'd think my ketone level would be the only relevant variable.

??

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_

Thanks for the link.... Lots of (LC) food for thought!

This concept doesn't seem to click for me in regard to folks who aren't diabetic, though, since they don't have insulin resistance - and therefore wouldnt have elevated insulin levels - in the first place.

If my BG levels bobbed steadily in 80-95 waters (by some miracle!), I'd think my ketone level would be the only relevant variable.

??

It applies regardless of someone's level of insulin resistance though. It's only purpose really is to determine the therapeutic level of ketones and get an idea of how low ones insulin production may be. Insulin resistance or not, the goal is low insulin.