Looking for ideas

Options
Ok, so I have officially been doing the LC thing for 40 days with no cheating. YAY me! Because that is probably the longest I have ever stuck to any diet plan of any kind. But in all honesty I have been kinda winging it. Low carbs, and high protein is all I was really concerned about.

Of course the water weight fell right off which is hugely motivational.

Inches have been shed according to the measuring tape, and the fact my "fat" clothes are no longer tight lol. The evil scale, while moving, is moving very slowly after that first week.

Judging by the death breath and "acetone" pee I have been in ketosis steadily (too broke for test strips).

I feel immensely better, my knees have stopped hurting, full of energy, never hungry.

BUT thanks to my lurking in this group, I have just gotten around to doing the Macros calculator. Apparently I have been seriously under eating fats.

I am making a couple different fat bombs this weekend, but I am looking for more ways to add plenty of yummy fats to my diet. Budget friendly is wonderful, but all suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Put butter on everything - broccoli, cauliflower mash, asparagus, green beans, etc. Add butter and coconut oil to your coffee (bulletproof). Cook your eggs in bacon grease or butter - lots of it.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Olive oil based salad dressing, avocado, fattier cuts of meat, eggs, nuts and seeds if your carb allowance has room for them.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Choose fatty meats and cook with butter and make cream sauces. No need for fat bombs when eating real food that contains fat
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    jqtm1jo0my6q.jpg

My problem with fat bombs is the same with regular treats.
    Serving size :s
    I do much better getting my fats in with my meals.

>:) or o:)
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream. Also pecans. Folks let me know if pecans are okay. One ounce has 3 grams of protein and 20 grams of fat.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream. Also pecans. Folks let me know if pecans are okay. One ounce has 3 grams of protein and 20 grams of fat.

yes pecans are a wonderful fat source. One fat bomb "recipe" I've seen is to sandwich a little butter between two pecan halves, actually!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on celery sticks yummy
  • gdaydreamer
    gdaydreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I should be able to add more butter to everything. I do run into certain problems though when it comes to some foods due to my husbands dietary restrictions. He is in kidney failure and has to eat leaner meats and low sodium, it is kinda evil if I sit there and eat bacon in front of him since he loves it so much... so I do the precooked bacon slices which leaves me no yummy grease. I gave up coffee months ago, when I started getting that jittery feeling I hate, but maybe a splash of whipping cream in a cup of herbal tea....

looks like I will have to do a but of wandering of the aisles when I run to the store today lol
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I should be able to add more butter to everything. I do run into certain problems though when it comes to some foods due to my husbands dietary restrictions. He is in kidney failure and has to eat leaner meats and low sodium, it is kinda evil if I sit there and eat bacon in front of him since he loves it so much... so I do the precooked bacon slices which leaves me no yummy grease. I gave up coffee months ago, when I started getting that jittery feeling I hate, but maybe a splash of whipping cream in a cup of herbal tea....

looks like I will have to do a but of wandering of the aisles when I run to the store today lol

Just a heads up from a fellow tea drinker (though i do have coffee too), milk and cream will usually separate in most herbal teas. If you want to enjoy dairy in your tea and you don't drink black tea, which holds up well with dairy, I'd highly recommend rooibos (its the African red bush tea). Its quite delicious and a number of brands make flavoured varieties so you can try it with different blended ingredients. Its naturally non-caffeinated and holds up very well with high fat dairy (whole milk, half & half, single and double cream).
  • gdaydreamer
    Options
    thank you for the suggestion. I will look for it today.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    FWIW I'm one to stay away from fat bombs and other sweet treats too. They just cause me to over eat. Mascarpone cheese has become a staple for me. High fat to proteinglucose. Same consistency as cream cheese but a little sweeter. I strive for adequate protein but not over my 75 grams because of it being converted to glucose.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    FWIW I'm one to stay away from fat bombs and other sweet treats too. They just cause me to over eat. Mascarpone cheese has become a staple for me. High fat to proteinglucose. Same consistency as cream cheese but a little sweeter. I strive for adequate protein but not over my 75 grams because of it being converted to glucose.

Well it is too late to correct my post. What I meant to type (in bold) regarding mascarpone cheese was: high fat to protein/carb ratio.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I bet cutting your protein and adding fats will actually be budget friendly. Adding butter or cheese to a meat will probably cost less that having more lean meat to hit a higher protein macro. KWIM?

The main difference may be in volume. Fats don't take up much space so it may look like less food. Adding fats to veggies will help with keeping volume higher. Extra full fat salad dressing, butter, mayo, seeds or nuts, or shredded cheese on veggies will punch your fats up without having to move away from lean meats (so you can stil eat the same meals as your family).

And congratulations on your success so far! :) You're doing great!!
  • gdaydreamer
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. I am actually very proud of myself lol. I agree I think just bulking up the butter and cheeses should help a lot, maybe toss in a couple nuts as a little snack. Most evenings I can't eat what the rest of the family is eating, pastas and rices abound for them. I usually take whatever meat they add to the marinara, or casseroles before they mix it all together and make a little something for myself lol.