Let's talk about Bulletproof Coffee

Options
Habiteer
Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
Who here makes it and drinks it? I love coffee and drink it almost everyday, but my first two experiments with Bulletproof Coffee have not been good. Tasted absolutely awful, not sure if it was because I didn't have an immersion blender (I shook up the ingredients in a mason jar instead of using an immersion blender) or because I only had non-organic salted butter on hand. I even added a couple of grams of stevia and it barely helped.

It's excellent macronutrient wise, but I really am not digging the taste so far. Anyone use any modified recipes to make their bulletproof coffee taste better?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I make it with chai tea as I only like my coffee black. It's amazing. I've also used peppermint tea and Yerba Mate teas, they are also good but chai is my favorite
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tried to like it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How do you drink your coffee normally?
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I love it, but it does nothing but make me hungry...which goes against its purpose, right? So the calories aren't worth it to me. My regular coffee satiates me better. So...I don't know why, but it kicks in my hunger.
  • Habiteer
    Options

I usually drink it black.
    I love it, but it does nothing but make me hungry...which goes against its purpose, right? So the calories aren't worth it to me. My regular coffee satiates me better. So...I don't know why, but it kicks in my hunger.

I heard it would reduce appetite too. I guess it doesn't have the same effect on all people.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I bought an immersion blender last night so I could make it. I'm hoping I can just do coconut oil and not the butter. I love butter, but I don't know if I can get past the mental block I have on it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »

I usually drink it black.

I heard it would reduce appetite too. I guess it doesn't have the same effect on all people.

I wonder if when it doesn't provide the appetite suppression if it's actually true bulletproof coffee.
    Or, if that person just really needs solid food for whatever reason.

Actual Bulletproof Coffee is just coconut or MCT oil and butter added. When you add sweetener or cream, all bets are off as to its appetite suppressing abilities since those things can stimulate appetite.

Blending it is essential because you can't get the same creamy texture from just shaking and definitely not from stirring.
    But, not everyone will like it no matter what. Just like but everyone likes black coffee or coffee with cream...
    of course, the amounts of CO and butter added can be adjusted to taste too.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I start with good coffee, 2TBS of good butter like Kerrygold, and 1 TBS of coconut oil. I enjoy it very much and it does help my appetite. But I drink my coffee with cream and sugar so I also add heavy cream and stevia.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it either.
  • scottaking
    scottaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The way I make it grosses everyone out. I seriously just drop a chunk of butter in the coffee, then I pour in some coconut oil. After that, I just stir with a spoon. I did try blending it once, but wasn't a fan. Recently, I picked up some 0 carb hazelnut flavoring. I've been using that now with my concoction.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I make bullet proof hot chocolate :smile:

Chocolate peanut butter whey isolate
    heavy cream
    butter
    coconut oil

Mix it all together with a hand immersion blender. You can also add or sub an ingredient with coconut cream.

Okay now THAT I might be able to get behind! It's like a fat bomb drink!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I make bullet proof hot chocolate :smile:

Chocolate peanut butter whey isolate
    heavy cream
    butter
    coconut oil

Mix it all together with a hand immersion blender. You can also add or sub an ingredient with coconut cream.

Okay now THAT I might be able to get behind! It's like a fat bomb drink!

And it's delicious. I've never really been a coffee drinker, so had to find a swap.

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Wow, am I the only person who likes BPC the "normal" way? I used to drink my coffee with milk, no sweetener of any kind. Maybe that's why I like my BPC with just the 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. One cup around 7:00am and I'm not hungry until after noon.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Wow, am I the only person who likes BPC the "normal" way? I used to drink my coffee with milk, no sweetener of any kind. Maybe that's why I like my BPC with just the 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. One cup around 7:00am and I'm not hungry until after noon.

I like it too. I used to add cream and sweetener but I finally quit several months ago.
    I do add cream instead of CO or butter to my evening coffee though... kinda weird I guess but I really want a creamy coffee in the evening. Lol
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    scottaking wrote: »
    The way I make it grosses everyone out. I seriously just drop a chunk of butter in the coffee, then I pour in some coconut oil. After that, I just stir with a spoon. I did try blending it once, but wasn't a fan. Recently, I picked up some 0 carb hazelnut flavoring. I've been using that now with my concoction.

Exactly what I do..great minds think alike!
  • Habiteer
    Options
    I'll probably just go back to black. I thought it would taste amazing from all the people raving about it. It just tastes really bitter/sour to me - I bought some good quality organic unsalted butter to give it one more shot tomorrow and I'll try putting it in the blender as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'll probably just go back to black. I thought it would taste amazing from all the people raving about it. It just tastes really bitter/sour to me - I bought some good quality organic unsalted butter to give it one more shot tomorrow and I'll try putting it in the blender as well.

Come back and let us know what you think.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I haven't seen you mention coconut oil... are you using that too? That gives it a touch of coconut flavor and almost a sweetness of its own. I think it also has a creamier texture as compared to butter alone.