Go to convenience foods?

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
If you know me, this is an odd post. Bear with me.

Disclaimer: SLOW carb, not LOW carb here.

If we're "pals" on here, you know I've had a hell of a week, and you know hubs is out of town, and I'm taking care of a recuperating puppy.
I knew all this was coming, and shopped accordingly. On a whim I bought 2 atkins frozen meals.
Generally our "convenience foods" are Amy's pockets (the spinach one, the pizza one, the pot pie one), Amy's meatloaf dinners etc, and Evol frozen burritos (iifym/ymmv). The very occasional atkins pizza They can stay in the freezer for months.
Anyway, tonight, exhausted, I nuked "beef merlot" from Atkins. I added a few spices and, importantly, some chile garlic sauce. I must say: not a bad way to spend 300 calories!

Well done Atkins frozen food people and the ever important chile garlic sauce creator, aka my husband, but the store bought stuff is awesome too.

I put beef merlot on the grocery list for tmw. It makes reasonable emergency food!

Are there any other frozen or otherwise convenience foods that aren't refined carb bombs that you like?

Replies

• MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I buy the Purdue grilled chicken short cuts - zero carb (seasoned versions have carbs). Anyway, I like them because they are versatile - chopped up for a chicken salad, mixed w/pepper, topped w/cheese. They were recently on BOGO at the grocery, so my freezer is stocked.
    For frozen food, my goto is Michael Angelos chicken piccata 4 net carbs/serving. http://www.michaelangelos.com/product.php?productID=12
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i know the Atkins bars are a convenience for me - otherwise I might be eating those regular ones. Sometimes when we want a coffee and something sweet (old habits) my husband and I have a an Atkins bar and a coffee and we are good for a few days. Though they are about $7.97 a box here in Canada & that is at the WallyMart. We don't get the other Atkins things.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

If we're "pals" on here, you know I've had a hell of a week, and you know hubs is out of town, and I'm taking care of a recuperating puppy.
    I knew all this was coming, and shopped accordingly. On a whim I bought 2 atkins frozen meals.
    Generally our "convenience foods" are Amy's pockets (the spinach one, the pizza one, the pot pie one), Amy's meatloaf dinners etc, and Evol frozen burritos (iifym/ymmv). The very occasional atkins pizza They can stay in the freezer for months.
    Anyway, tonight, exhausted, I nuked "beef merlot" from Atkins. I added a few spices and, importantly, some chile garlic sauce. I must say: not a bad way to spend 300 calories!

Well done Atkins frozen food people and the ever important chile garlic sauce creator, aka my husband, but the store bought stuff is awesome too.

I put beef merlot on the grocery list for tmw. It makes reasonable emergency food!

Are there any other frozen or otherwise convenience foods that aren't refined carb bombs that you like?

I have a thread in here called Beef Merlot and Lasagna. I wish I could change the thread title to "Atkins Dinner Reviews", cause that's what it's turned in to.

Like you, I don't usually eat frozen foods. I'm a homemade kinda gal. But I had shoulder surgery and I'm basically one armed for right now, so I've been trying them out, and posting pics and what I thought. I give them a rating scale 1-10. I'd love to see more thought on them!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I have a thread in here called Beef Merlot and Lasagna. I wish I could change the thread title to "Atkins Dinner Reviews", cause that's what it's turned in to.

Like you, I don't usually eat frozen foods. I'm a homemade kinda gal. But I had shoulder surgery and I'm basically one armed for right now, so I've been trying them out, and posting pics and what I thought. I give them a rating scale 1-10. I'd love to see more thought on them!

I'll look for your thread. Thanks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    I buy the Purdue grilled chicken short cuts - zero carb (seasoned versions have carbs). Anyway, I like them because they are versatile - chopped up for a chicken salad, mixed w/pepper, topped w/cheese. They were recently on BOGO at the grocery, so my freezer is stocked.
    For frozen food, my goto is Michael Angelos chicken piccata 4 net carbs/serving. http://www.michaelangelos.com/product.php?productID=12

I'll have to look for this!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Our local sprouts has "just beef", and "just chicken", pre cooked, and pre-shredded, but with minimal extra stuff. I love having that on hand from time to time to make burritos for lunch with (we're lucky to get several kinds of decent tasting low carb tortillas).
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    In the UK -I like Atkins meal mint bar - it is like having a handful of After Eight mint chocolates - so good, good sugar craving fix for me, no after taste, downside it is £2 a bar and of course highly processed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Bubba1922 wrote: »
    In the UK -I like Atkins meal mint bar - it is like having a handful of After Eight mint chocolates - so good, good sugar craving fix for me, no after taste, downside it is £2 a bar and of course highly processed.

Atkins bars give me a weird stomach ache, alas. I do sometimes eat South Beach bars, which don't. They also have a chocolate mint bar. (higher carb, of course, being SB).
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't have a microwave or a freezer, so my go-to convenience foods are pre-cooked meats and pre-chopped veggies. I buy bags of soup veggies and will just toss them in a saucepan with some chicken stock and throw in some meat for protein or I'll grab a bag of salad and through some meat on top.

They have carbier options too as you're not so low carb as me, I always have to dig through the quinoa and couscous salads to find the ones with no grains :smile:
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My go to convenience food is: Costco Frozen, pre-cooked Angus burgers. Two minutes in the microwave, 0 carbs, couldn't be easier. I just nuke some frozen vegs on the side.
  • gdaydreamer
    gdaydreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I usually grab a low carb tortilla or flatbread and stuff it full of turkey, cheese, bacon, mayo, and lettuce. Only takes a minute to make, very filling and yummy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I usually grab a low carb tortilla or flatbread and stuff it full of turkey, cheese, bacon, mayo, and lettuce. Only takes a minute to make, very filling and yummy.
    I do that as well, or sliced cucumber and cream cheese. :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    My go to convenience food is: Costco Frozen, pre-cooked Angus burgers. Two minutes in the microwave, 0 carbs, couldn't be easier. I just nuke some frozen vegs on the side.

I looked at those, but fooducate didn't like them very much. I tend to follow their advice. I wonder if there's a tasty alternative for me? It's such a great idea!
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I looked at those, but fooducate didn't like them very much. I tend to follow their advice. I wonder if there's a tasty alternative for me? It's such a great idea!

I have not used fooducate. Would you please explain how it doesn't like it? I was halfway out the door to Costco! LOL
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2016
    Options

I have not used fooducate. Would you please explain how it doesn't like it? I was halfway out the door to Costco! LOL

Sure. Are these the ones?

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=2F070290-1049-11E1-8977-1231380C180E

If not, which ones, and let's see what fooducate thinks?

fwiw, fooducate also dislikes most atkins products. :smile:
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning that app - I am going to get
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the reason it gave bad grade were for all the reasons low carbers would usually like it. I will get them tomorrow and see if they are the same ones. Thanks for the link and info!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Frozen Meatballs (check packages. Some have 2 carbs a serving, some have 19!) simmered in a little tomato sauce, drain off most of the sauce, and top with a slice of cheese. Delish. I'll post the photo that inspired me. It's from a blog most of you know, and you can always just make her recipe from scratch and freeze them. Yum. http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/03/low-carb-meatballs-alla-parmigiana.html
    69gx66uc26l9.jpg

I'm actually eating this RIGHT NOW. :hushed:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My new go to, as of today.

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=47BC0AC4-90DD-11E0-86F7-1231380C180E

I'm usually wary of frozen fish, but hubs keeps encouraging me to try different ones. I thought: he's out of town, I'll buy it and if it sucks, he never needs to know. HA!

It was great. I grilled it in the cast iron skillet then topped with a bit of pesto, and had a crap ton of steam broccoli on the side.