Dr. Robert C. Atkins Lecturing At The USDA Great Nutrition Debate, 2000

Options
KetoGirl_ZC
KetoGirl_ZC Posts: 48 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
He's not the most telegenic person but the talk is still very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqwbMK_DFQ

::flowerforyou::

Edit to correct the link.

Replies

• MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    About 11 minutes in he talks of a comparison of fasting to a LCHF diet. Where the weight loss on the fasting was lean muscle and whereas on the LCHF it was fat .... If that is the case ... Curious why IF works ... Is it because you get fat/protein in your eating window ? Haven't tried IF yet, but have been thinking seriously about it.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @KetoGirl_ZC
    Fantastic talk by Dr. Atkins!
    Thanks for posting.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    About 11 minutes in he talks of a comparison of fasting to a LCHF diet. Where the weight loss on the fasting was lean muscle and whereas on the LCHF it was fat .... If that is the case ... Curious why IF works ... Is it because you get fat/protein in your eating window ? Haven't tried IF yet, but have been thinking seriously about it.

I'm no expert, but I believe It works for T2Ds by allowing your pancreas to settle back down - lower glucagon production, lower insulin levels, lower insulin resistance, more fat burning...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

What I heard: Atkins was not talking about Intermittent Fasting. It was a 10 day TOTAL FAST versus a 1000 calorie Atkins diet. The people on the 10 day TOTAL fast lost 21 pounds: 7 pounds were fat and 14 pounds were lean body mass. The people on the 1000 calorie diet lost only 14.5 pound: 1/2 pound of lean body mass and 14 pounds of fat. So his point was one can eat 1000 calories on an Atkins Diet and might lose less total weight but more weight in fat, saving lean body mass. Thus saying choose Atkins over TOTAL fasting.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I understood that it was total fasting vs LCHF. I was just in my mind wondering why IF doesn't make you lose lean body mass too -- I guess it's because you are consuming enough fat at some point in your day.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I understood that it was total fasting vs LCHF. I was just in my mind wondering why IF doesn't make you lose lean body mass too -- I guess it's because you are consuming enough fat at some point in your day.

I believe the theory is that it's important to eat enough protein to avoid muscle loss (but not so much that your body converts so much excess into carbs that it affects your blood glucose level).