Let's talk about Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »
    I'll probably just go back to black. I thought it would taste amazing from all the people raving about it. It just tastes really bitter/sour to me - I bought some good quality organic unsalted butter to give it one more shot tomorrow and I'll try putting it in the blender as well.

Come back and let us know what you think.

Yep sure will
    I'll probably just go back to black. I thought it would taste amazing from all the people raving about it. It just tastes really bitter/sour to me - I bought some good quality organic unsalted butter to give it one more shot tomorrow and I'll try putting it in the blender as well.

I haven't seen you mention coconut oil... are you using that too? That gives it a touch of coconut flavor and almost a sweetness of its own. I think it also has a creamier texture as compared to butter alone.

Yes, I'm using some organic coconut oil from Costco - I just bought it last week. Maybe I'm not be used to the taste yet. It also might have been poorly mixed - the fats may have stayed suspended to the top of the drink and the coffee might have stayed at the bottom, so when I was taking my sips I was mostly drinking a disproportionate amount of buttery coconut to coffee somehow...

Anyway, I'll follow the recipe from ruled.me to the letter tomorrow (minus the optional ingredients they list) and see if it makes a difference.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Maybe try switching up the coffee grounds? I LOVE my Dunkin' Donuts French vanilla coffee. Also this coffee I stumbled upon in Hawaii is amazing.. called Lion Vanilla macadamia nut. I order it off amazon now.
    But I've noticed I don't get the same great flavor with other ground coffee brands (sprouts, McDonald's, etc.)

Also, blending BPC makes it frothy and sweet vs stirring where you get the oil slick on top.

If I add hwc or protein powder, it's guaranteed I'll be hungry within two hours. But just a touch of stevia,1 tbsp of grass fed butter, and coconut oil satiates me until 2 or 3pm. Black coffee is usually my go-to and I can last the whole morning until dinner.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    good coffee beans make a world of difference.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Who here makes it and drinks it? I love coffee and drink it almost everyday, but my first two experiments with Bulletproof Coffee have not been good. Tasted absolutely awful, not sure if it was because I didn't have an immersion blender (I shook up the ingredients in a mason jar instead of using an immersion blender) or because I only had non-organic salted butter on hand. I even added a couple of grams of stevia and it barely helped.

It's excellent macronutrient wise, but I really am not digging the taste so far. Anyone use any modified recipes to make their bulletproof coffee taste better?

It's gross. I just make my coffee with extra cream. Cream. Butter. What's the difference? Oh yeah. One tastes great in coffee! ;)

I'm all into LCHF but Bulletproof Coffee? Nah. I like my coffee too much.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't do it. I tried it, had no issues with the taste. I used to be a gym rat, and I never did the smoothie thing because I didn't want to drink my calories. BPC is the same thing' I just don't want to go over my calorie goal by eating something that doesn't make me full. Half and half with Splenda is all I take in my coffee now.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    When I first tried BPC I knew I wouldn't like it per se because I don't (didn't?) like coffee. I used 1 tsp butter, 1 tsp coconut oil, about 6 packets of sweetener and 1/4 cup HWC. I knew it would be better for me to drink it without all the extra so I slowly weaned myself up to the 1 T of each fat type and down on the HWC til I used none and down on the sweetener til I got to none. Now I like it just fine. Sometimes I put some sweetener in it with some mint extract and/or baker's chocolate in the bar form not powered. Or I put cinnamon in the grounds as it brews for a different flavor but key for me was starting off with it laden with things to hide the flavor then weaning myself off them. It took a while but it worked.
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    when i first started doing this WOE and read up on bpc, the idea totally grossed me out. I am a huge coffee fanatic and putting butter in my coffee was unthinkable. But then i was reading up on all the benefits and i wanted to give a try. I tried with only coconut oil first and the hwc and it was not bad, I used the coconut oil without the taste. I then added butter and it was really good and creamy. You don't taste the butter or the coconut oil and it was so filling. I then decided not to use the hwc only butter and coconut oil and it looked just like reg coffee and it was really good. Now that is all i have in the am and i am full til about 2-3 pm maybe even longer.
  • ecambro
    ecambro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started my Keto journey off today with a bpc...and I loved it! I used the MCT coconut oil and grass fed butter (no added salt) through it in the vitamix blender with the brewed coffee. Nice and frothy!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I read a piece on NYMAG today on Hillary Clinton's diet and she seems to be on LCHF and drinks BPC

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/09/i-tried-hillary-clintons-diet-and-now-i-sympathize-with-her.html
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I tried the BPC again today with unsalted butter and a blender. Tasted much smoother and creamier than the first time I made it. Blending it probably made the largest difference. It looks completely different than yesterday, a solid light brown with a little froth on the top.

Although it tastes a 100x better than that bittery abomination that I made yesterday, I still look at the calories and think that I might prefer something else to spend my calories on. If I was going to go with something other than black coffee on a LCHF diet, I would probably lean towards a coffee with a tsp of zero-calorie french vanilla syrup + tsp of heavy whipped cream.

Overall, not bad and not as horrible as yesterday, but probably not something I'll make very often.

If I did need something as a sort of fat bomb, I would probably blend 3 cups of spinach + flax seed + extra virgin olive oil. Stores well in a bottle in the fridge as well.

P.S. my ingredients were a cup of coffee (instant, nescafe tasters choice house blend), a tbsp of kerrygold unsalted butter, and tbsp of organic extra virgin coconut oil)
  • cinnamonsprinkles
    cinnamonsprinkles Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make mine with brewed coffee, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp organic heavy whipping cream, and just for flavor I add in 1 tsp vanilla whey protein powder, usually that's breakfast for me.
  • cinnamonsprinkles
    cinnamonsprinkles Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh also I blend mine with a little coffee frother I bought for 20 bucks at bed bath and beyond
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    I love it, but it does nothing but make me hungry...which goes against its purpose, right? So the calories aren't worth it to me. My regular coffee satiates me better. So...I don't know why, but it kicks in my hunger.

Same here, so I tried adding 1 to 2 ounces of protein with it and it solved the problem. Of course, if you do BPC when fasting, that won't work.

I'm not really into drinking my food/calories either. I've tried BPC, just for the heck of it, and it tastes fine to me, but I prefer plain ol' double cream, which is already enough calories in my coffee without adding any extra butter or coconut oil. If I'm hungry in the morning, I'm happy to get my butter in with a scrambled egg. Plus coffee is harsh enough on my empty tummy in the morning without dumping a ton of oil into it. Even when I was a carboholic, you'd never catch me drinking high calorie beverages.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I drink it in the morning when I'm not IF. It keeps me very very full. I make mine with 2 cups of coffee, 2 Tbsp MCT oil, 2-3 tsp heavy whipping cream, 1 Tbsp butter, cinnamon, granulated Stevia and English Toffee flavored liquid Stevia. I blend it with the single serve attachment for my blender. I use a Keurig for the coffee and it doesn't give me as much coffee flavor as I want because of all the cream and butter I add it becomes just too creamy. I'm going to try a dark roast blend. I know getting a better coffee machine would give me more flavor but I just love how quick and easy to clean the Keurig is.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have BPC every now and then. It's tasty. Mine is usually just coffee/coconut oil/stevia and sometimes butter. I've never perceived BPC to be a requirement for keto and have no problems keeping my fat intake where it needs to be without BPC.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    I had one yesterday after a month or so without. Had my husband try it as I'm slowly getting him on the LCHF train. He liked it but I know he won't make it for himself.
  • kaaronmc
    kaaronmc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love my BPC!! I use a really good Arabic bean ground fresh. Then I add 2 -3 Tablespoons of Kerry Gold grass fed butter (use the one in the gold package...the amino acid chains are better) then 3 Tablespoons of MCT oil. I use my Kitchenaid Immersion blender to whip it up and make it frothy. If I want a little sweetener I add a few drops of liquid Stevia. I have one every day in the morning and sometimes in afternoon. It peps my energy and my concentration.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    kaaronmc wrote: »
    I love my BPC!! I use a really good Arabic bean ground fresh. Then I add 2 -3 Tablespoons of Kerry Gold grass fed butter (use the one in the gold package...the amino acid chains are better) then 3 Tablespoons of MCT oil. I use my Kitchenaid Immersion blender to whip it up and make it frothy. If I want a little sweetener I add a few drops of liquid Stevia. I have one every day in the morning and sometimes in afternoon. It peps my energy and my concentration.

Isn't the gold package the salted variation? Now that I'm thinking of it...I have no reason to eat the unsalted variation if ketoers generally need more sodium.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I like it ok (only made with butter & MCT oil...I can't drink it with coconut oil as the coconut taste makes me nauseated). I prefer coffee with just heavy whipping cream so that's my usual breakfast. I usually don't eat lunch until 2 or later so it holds me over well enough.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have some every weekday morning pre-workout. Recently I started struggling to drink it. This morning I tried it with just butter, and it was fine.

I think it's the coconut oil taste that's been putting me off. I'm going to experiment a little and add more butter than coconut oil, because I still want the benefits of the oil, without the taste.

I actually was adding JUST coconut oil to mine. Because supposedly, like MCT oil (which I can't find here - still need to order online), the body absorbs it as quickly as carbs for energy, whereas other fats slow down digestion.

I am adding in glucose powder specifically for quick energy for my workouts, so slow digestion of them is not ideal. But screw it. If I'm going to drink it, I want it to taste good.