Peanut Butter

Options
MiamiDawn
MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
I love peanut butter. I was wondering what brands y'all use. I've looked at the labels in the store and they all seem pretty close in carb count, even those marked natural. I'm not likely to make my own, so what's a good low sugar/low carb brand on the market.

Replies

• LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I use Lara scudders natural crunchy peanut butter. It's the least expensive vs other brands and almond butters. Oh em gee don't get me started on the prices of natural almond butter! Ridiculous... but I digress. The ingredients should just be salt and peanuts and absolutely no added sugars. For 2 tbsp, it should be around 6-7g total carbs and 2-3g fiber.
  • KetoGirl_ZC
    KetoGirl_ZC Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat peanut butter but it really is ridiculously easy to make at home and you'll get a much more intense flavour. Same for any other nut you fancy. In store, look for the ingredients, should have nothing but the nuts and salt, sometimes it'll also have extra oil but I'm not a fan of vegetable oils so I'd avoid those.

Anyway ;)
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-peanut-butter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-199110

::flowerforyou::
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Adams crunchy. Just peanuts and salt. We get a huge jar because our kids are PB lovers and I hate stirring it, but love that it's so simple
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat peanut butter but it really is ridiculously easy to make at home and you'll get a much more intense flavour. Same for any other nut you fancy. In store, look for the ingredients, should have nothing but the nuts and salt, sometimes it'll also have extra oil but I'm not a fan of vegetable oils so I'd avoid those.

Anyway ;)
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-peanut-butter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-199110

Thanks for the tip!

PS. If you don't want peanut oil, you can let the oil separate, pour it out (works great for hemorrhoids....jk), and replace with olive or smooth avocado oil.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    I just buy trader joes organic salted pb. It is super good on flackers! Maybe too good :)
  • MiamiDawn
    Options
    All the brands mention have about 4g net carbs - but they are low sugar. I favor Peter Pan -- it still has 4g net carbs like the others but has more sugar than the others - it's in the ingredient list too … on a low carb diet how important is it to pay attention to the sugar content as well as carbs?

@KetoGirl_ZC I am going to put my Ninja to work and try making my own peanut butter - mostly because of the possibilities of making other nut butters, so thanks for the link

I may end up doing a blood sugar experiment and see how much my sugars rise w/Peter Pan, vs one of the lower sugar brands.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    All the brands mention have about 4g net carbs - but they are low sugar. I favor Peter Pan -- it still has 4g net carbs like the others but has more sugar than the others - it's in the ingredient list too … on a low carb diet how important is it to pay attention to the sugar content as well as carbs?

@KetoGirl_ZC I am going to put my Ninja to work and try making my own peanut butter - mostly because of the possibilities of making other nut butters, so thanks for the link

I may end up doing a blood sugar experiment and see how much my sugars rise w/Peter Pan, vs one of the lower sugar brands.

Yes, by all means test yourself - everyone's their own science project, and without self-experimentation, diets are but glorified leaps of faith.

If you can find any researchers who say I have to restrict all carbs except for sugar, I would be thrilled!
    That is, I think you meant fiber content ;).
    In my narrow view of the keto world, genuine fiber can be ignored (but maybe not funny fiber, like corn starch fiber.... - @Sunny_Bunny_'s got a list going, if not a catalog, of funny fiber).

As a T2D, I skip Skippy and pan Peter Pan due to their non-peanut ingredients - you can always add stevia/erythritol to your own Ninja mixture or natural PB.
  • KetoGirl_ZC
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »

@MiamiDawn Sugar = nutrient free carbs, some would even say anti-nutrient carbs. I save the carbs for veggies, yogurt and dark chocolate. Simple sugars and sweeteners I avoid as much as possible. When we're keeping the carbs low it's important to use them on nutrient dense food. Carbs from sugar and carbs from broccoli are not the same to the body.

wxiw8n7y0ifp.jpg

But if you mean this Peter Pan? Sugar is not, IMO, the worst about this peanut butter. Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils are. Not good at all. IMO the oils are much worse than the sugar. I'll have a treat with sugar now and then, I never knowingly touch hydrogenated oils. Anyway, you can find much better, plenty of peanut butters without either the hydrogenated oils or the sugar. But I'm sure once you make your own you'll never buy any other again.

• KetoGirl_ZC
    Options
    @MiamiDawn just something I remembered from my peanut butter making days. Homemade peanut butter will never be as smooth as store bought, that texture comes from the hydrogenated oils and the sugar or HFCS they add, plus industrial strength mixers. But you can make it similar if you add a little bit of water or ice (if your blender handles it) to your already made PB and mix again. The only caveat is that with water it spoils sooner so make small batches of this, only what you plan to eat.

Re store bought, if you see a layer of oil on top of the butter that's a good sign (the overly processed butters never separate). It happens at home too. Just remove the oil and butter and mix everything again. Keep it refrigerated, it helps.

And, btw, this thread inspired me to make walnut butter... sinful. Too good!

• RalfLott
    Options
    @MiamiDawn just something I remembered from my peanut butter making days. Homemade peanut butter will never be as smooth as store bought, that texture comes from the hydrogenated oils and the sugar or HFCS they add, plus industrial strength mixers. But you can make it similar if you add a little bit of water or ice (if your blender handles it) to your already made PB and mix again. The only caveat is that with water it spoils sooner so make small batches of this, only what you plan to eat.

Re store bought, if you see a layer of oil on top of the butter that's a good sign (the overly processed butters never separate). It happens at home too. Just remove the oil and butter and mix everything again. Keep it refrigerated, it helps.

@KetoGirl_ZC -

Do you ever pour off the peanut oil and replace with preferred species?

Also, any thoughts for what to look for in a suitable blender?

Thanks - appreciate the tips!
  • KetoGirl_ZC
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

@KetoGirl_ZC -

Do you ever pour off the peanut oil and replace with preferred species?

Also, any thoughts for what to look for in a suitable blender?

Thanks - appreciate the tips!

@RalfLott you mean, a different oil? No, I just blend again the original oil that separated. I know some people add additional oil, I never felt the need. I would be worried about changing the taste but maybe coconut oil would work?

In blenders my take is the stronger the better, the jar should be glass and it should crush ice and accept boiling water. I use a KitchenAid, it's semi-pro and a good balance between price and function given that it is almost indestructible. I've had it for 10 years or more, a souvenir from my vegetarian days. It's probably an overkill for what I make but it never fails.

Couldn't find the exact model, they probably no longer make it, but it's similar to this one:
    b5ibsi0fq3i6.jpg

• RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott you mean, a different oil? No, I just blend again the original oil that separated. I know some people add additional oil, I never felt the need. I would be worried about changing the taste but maybe coconut oil would work?

Thanks!

Coconut, avocado, sesame, or a mild olive oil all crossed my mind..... :yum::
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Costco butters! Huge container of almond butter is $10 and 2 organic containers of peanut butter is like $9 or something. I've made my own and it's good, but I've been going for convenience. :)
  • MiamiDawn
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I may try some of the brands mentioned for starters, but intend to make my own. If it's not smooth enough I might try adding coconut oil. You've all helped clarify some things.