What To Do About Binges Out Of The Blue?

Options
Hi there. So I binged yesterday, after 4 straight days of not overeating at all. (I think that's my longest record for this year, which is just plain sad...) I'm almost always aware of when I want to binge / when I'm craving / etc., so lately I've been getting better at... well, not bingeing. But yesterday it was TOTALLY out of the blue, I wasn't craving at all... but I still binged and I can't figure out why. Usually I binge to escape reality. I don't even know if this was the case.

Maybe I've just been stressed lately? (I have a couple new stressors in my life recently.) I allowed myself one slice of pizza for my carb serving for dinner... maybe that was a mistake. But the real mistake was buying those mint Oreo thins and thinking that I could have only 3 of them for dessert.

The biggest mistake of all was taking them to my room. I don't even know why I took them to my room. But I will make it a rule to never eat in my room again... that's for sure...

Anyone else have binges that come out of nowhere? That you can't figure out? Because this is super-frustrating. :disappointed: How can I work to prevent binges when I don't even know when they're coming?

Tips? Advice?

Replies

• Brighid2019
    Brighid2019 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi Denise - that will happen to me too. I can't have anything in the house. :'( If I have any "fun" food in the fridge I will binge after everyone goes to bed. I have to really plan out my food everyday.
  • denisemarielarnder
    denisemarielarnder Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping as I get better at following my meal plan that I'll be able to handle foods I really really like again. :/ We'll see...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @denisemarielarnder

Sadly, that's usually where mine sneak in... I can prepare against stress and tired and whatever. But random mood shifts? It's seemingly impossible when blind-sided. I've started supplementing some amino acids loosely based on a formula someone else sells, but it has seemed to be helping me manage the outrageous sugar/carb cravings, which is where my binges nearly always start...

If you are interested in what I read that help me get started - it was this, combined with articles on how similar sugar and alcohol addictions are, and things of that nature: carbsyndrome.com/is-your-brain-two-quarts-low/

So, once you find something that helps your...wiring?...start working better...whether placebo or not, it sure helps!
  • denisemarielarnder
    denisemarielarnder Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss : OH MY GOD. I read so much on that website, the articles, the symptoms... I feel like I DEFINITELY have this CARB Syndrome. I'm currently diagnosed with major depression, two anxiety disorders, and my eating disorder. I've never heard anyone else talk about how out-of-whack my hunger signals are! (I NEVER feel full unless I binge.) Can I add you and can you message me which amino acids you're supplementing? I seriously want to try this because I'm a walking pharmacy of psych meds! And I have insulin resistance. I know that statistically people who are on psych meds for long periods of time die 20 years EARLIER than others! I don't want to be on all these meds for the rest of my life if there's another solution! Thank you so much for providing me with this resource! I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist / psychiatric nurse about whatever I'm going to try, be it what is being sold on the website or your personal formula (if you agree to tell me, which is totally your choice).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @denisemarielarnder - I felt about that same way reading that article. I don't know about the branded supplement on there, but depending on how often you have to take things, etc., it might be worth getting their formula, but based off of this article and some other articles about how l-glutamine and mega-vitamins can help detox and rewire the addict brain (alcoholism is the main focus), I decided it couldn't hurt to try. I already responded in PM, but here is the info in case any one else wants it...

Currently what I'm taking is:

AM: I'm taking a blend in the am that copies my B12 shot (similar to 5-hour energy or whatever, my endo approved a single one daily in the AM because my body was doing better with B12 absorption that way, and he felt that as long as I only did one a day and only on work days, that it was okay....that I was taking, but it has AS, dyes, and crap in it, so I take this at maybe 6:30 am/7:00 am, and don't usually have any form of breakfast until 8:30 am or so... (taking the acids separate from food allows them to be absorbed differently.

7:00 am: caffeine (200 mg), 1000 mg c, 400 mg folate, 500 mg l-tyrosine, 50 mg 5-htp, 500 mg l-glutamine, 600 mg NAC blend, 500 mg taurine

At bedtime, after dinner (need to take away from food to allow absorption differently, again), I take 1000 mg c, 400 mg folate, 1500 mg l-tyrosine, 100 mg 5-htp, 500 mg l-glutamine.

I like getting the separate ingredients so I can tweak the quantities I take of anything. In fact, I took 150 mg of the 5-HTP last night, because that's the ratio in the formula - 1500 mg l-tyrosine to 150 mg 5-HTP - but it gets expensive when you're taking multiple pills to get a dose. I found a better formula online that has the B6 and C or somesuch already in it with the 5-htp, plus I think it was cheaper, so I'll probably switch when I'm out.

I started out slower with just l-glutamine, and then just l-tyrosine, 5-htp, and l-glutamine, half doses, at night, but it caused me to be hungry and have sweets cravings the first day or 3, so I jumped up to the higher dose, like in the article. It seemed to work, almost immediately at the higher dose.

If I go the formula itself, would be smaller doses through the day, but I already have to work around probiotics and stuff, so I didn't want to overly complicate things even more...
  • greena
    greena Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also had a two-week period when I felt completely under control, then this weekend, I fell apart and had a binge eating episode for 2 days. For me, it's like my mind goes blank and I just forget all the feelings of control and accountability that I had. Hoping to have friends on here that will help me get right back on the wagon and logging the very next day, with a healthy breakfast!!!