Getting Back On Track

2»

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited September 2016
    @Kirstie155 Absolutely nothing is wrong with you though I imagine that was a rhetorical question. I can completely relate to getting tired of always trying to get back on track or feeling like you're always starting over. Sometimes it takes a while - sometimes our head just isn't in the game. I certainly don't want to tell you to give up because I know you can do this BUT if you aren't enjoying life or the process, it's not going to work. Maybe once you start just living and enjoying yourself, the rest will fall into place.
    I'm sorry you're having pain. I hope it subsides soon!
    Wow, that definitely isn't cheap but I can understand not wanting added hormones.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    @Kirstie155 I'm so sorry you are feeling this frustration, but I completely understand what you are saying. I have thought the same thing a couple times. I hope you find enjoyment and less stress in maintenance.

Those new pains sound awful! Do you think it could be related to a pinched nerve or sciatica? I hope it gets better soon!

Those sponges aren't cheap, but it sounds like they are working for you and definitely better than condoms :)
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    @puffbrat @WifiresGettingFit You guys are awesome. I love this group so much! Thanks for being awesome and supportive even when I tell you I give up!

Im not sure what the new pain is. its rough though and my salt bath, icy hot, stretching and having a heating pad on my butt for hours last night didnt help :/

• WifiresGettingFit
    @Kirstie155 Anytime, it's what we are here for!
  • puffbrat
    @Kirstie155 We are always here for support! Taking care of yourself physically and mentally are of huge importance, and it sounds like this change is what you need for both of those right now. <3
  • computerfox82
    computerfox82 Posts: 54 Member
    @Kirstie155 What did you do before you started having pain?
  • Kirstie155
    @computerfox82 I wasnt doing anything right before, its been slowly becoming more and more painful. I was doing a lifting program, Strong Lifts 5x5 but have since stopped. I did go and get a massage the other day...tuesday? because it hurt so bad sitting I could hardly drive home and was almost in tears. the massuse says its not this:3 types of pain but actually my gluteus medius muscle that is the issue. The massage hurt like hell, and I was super sore after but the next day was doing much better, and I plan to go back a few more times because today the pain is coming back. Weird, huh? Apparently it is pretty common.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    @Kirstie155 is the pain getting any better? I'm really sorry to hear about this. Looks like we've both stopped Strong Lifts... as least you have a reason.. (silver lining?) I hope it stops hurting immediately!
  • Kirstie155
    @VeryKatie pain is better since massage, but Im still not right. Need another session for sure. I miss lifting!
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Hi everyone! This thread is definitely for me as I completely stopped for the last few months. Thankfully I've only gained a couple pounds, I was expecting much worse.

Things have gotten tough with Becca; she has a new brace for her legs she needs to wear at night which means neither of us are getting much sleep. Her PT keeps saying she'll get used to it but I think they underestimate my daughter's stubbornness. So, between sleep deprivation and most of my willpower being used to not give in on the brace, my eating is getting further out of control.

We also found out that Becca is going to need double hip surgery next year with a typical recovery being close to 6 months. I still want us to start trying to conceive next year so I need to get serious about my health and strength in preparation!

For the month of October I'm going to concentrate on logging to the best of my ability, drinking enough water and getting my step goal.

@Kirstie155 I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with pain, that really sucks and I hope the massage helps!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    @NatahaLP2014 Hi! Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear things have gotten tougher and that you'll daughter will need surgery. You seem like a very strong family so I know that like everything before, you'll get through this.
    Sounds like you have awesome goals and a plan in place. You can do this! We're here for you!=)
  • VeryKatie
    @NatashLP2014 It's really good to hear from you and I'm so sorry you and Becca are going through yet another tough time :( Braces on legs doesn't sound fun and I know surgery is scary too. We are here to provide as much support as we can!

In terms of getting back on track... can I ask you ladies a question? Does anyone other than your spouse know you are trying to lose weight? I am thinking this is something that has changed for me from when I was successful and now. Back when I initially lost my 25 lbs, all my friends and family knew that. Now I'm hiding it. Probably for a few reasons. It's a bit embarrassing that I gained back so much... but also because I'm not sure I can expect the same enthusiasm for a second go around. Plus I think since I'm already a healthy weight I am expecting to just hear "oh you don't need to". But I wonder if I open up to them and say I have to redo some of that work.. if it will be motivating to me. Thoughts?
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Thank you. I just got back from a 30 minute walk and besides being sweaty I feel better than I have in days.

As for your question, people know I'm working on losing weight but I don't tend to talk about it, especially recently. I have enough problems with being social that I definitely don't need a reason to avoid people. Even if it seems silly, I blow it out of proportion in my mind that I've failed and they'll notice and judge me for it.
  • puffbrat
    @NatashaLP2014 I'm so sorry for all that Becca and your family are going through. That sounds really tough, and surgery of course is never easy.

@VeryKatie Besides my husband, my parents and one coworker/friend know. I tend not to want to tell many people because I don't want to feel external pressure to succeed and deal with the disappoint of having to tell them I'm failing when they ask. But having that extra little real world support is nice.
  • Kirstie155
    edited October 2016
    @NatashaLP2014 Thanks for checking back in with us, Ive been wondering how you have been.
    Sorry to hear about Beccas braces, that sounds miserable for all involved. The news about surgery must be difficult as well. *hugs*
    Its great that you are back with us, every little bit helps, logging, more water, ect. Do the best you can! :smile:

Pain is better but not great. I had another massage last night (so painful during and after) and did a soak in epsom salt after. Have another massage scheduled for next Tuesday, and hoping with stretching daily to really see some progress!

I miss lifting weights, but have started doing body weight squats each time I go to the restroom. Potty break, 5 squats after washing hands. Its a little thing, but it is more than I have been doing!

@VeryKatie missed your question...eh. Yes, family knew, and friends. Not coworkers though. Im always "on a diet".... so I recently quit. It was hard for me to always be on a roller coaster of emotions and weight. Its exhausting and I have been really hard on myself.

• VeryKatie
    I am thinking now that I'm pregnant... to maybe switch to You Are Your Own Gym instead of weight lifting. My doctor said not to lift heavy things (which I know is an outdated kind of opinion, but at the same time, my form isn't perfect so maybe I'll take her advice for now). Has anyone done the YAYOG program before or are you currently doing it now?