First Blood Keto Test... What A Letdown

Options
collegefbfan
collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
So, been on this WOE for 6 weeks. You all have read my posts. Losing 23 pounds in less than a month. So, I couldn't wait for my blood ketone strips to arrive. They did. I just checked it, and bam, a whopping 0.5... What? Why not a little higher? The last time I ate was around 12:20 if that is a factor.

So, anyone out there let me know what I did or have been doing wrong.

Thanks.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've never used anything to test ketones but great news for you: if you're in this for weight loss and this 1st test is representative of what others might have been or future tests might be - you are evidence that you don't have to be in ketosis for weight loss.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    According to the interview with Dr. Ron Rosendale, you don't want a high reading. Once you become fat adapted, you are using the ketones. If the reading is high, it means you are producing them, but your body is not effectively using them. If I remember correctly, he said something about wanting them to be below 1. If they are higher than that for an extended amount of time after you have gone into ketosis, you may have some kind of hormonal issue that is not good.

The interview is part of the Keto Summit. He was on day 7. If you registered, or register now, the video is available through tomorrow.
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    Well, some are saying that 0.5 is the starting point. I just figured because of the weight loss at such a rapid pace, I would be closer to optimal ketone zone.

Also, I was wondering, if I am a fat person, and I am... Well, I have fat. Do I still need to eat the so called recommended fat grams to still lose fat? I am thinking maybe my fat intake isn't high enough for my weight and height.

Input?
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered as long as you are eating to satiety you don't need to add extra fat. Low carb is the key to ketones not the fat.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered as long as you are eating to satiety you don't need to add extra fat. Low carb is the key to ketones not the fat.

correct. From your body's standpoint, the fat you eat and that in your body are looked at the same. Get the protein you need, which isn't that much. Depending on who you believe it could be as low as 0.65 g per kg of body weight, or as high as 1.8 g per kg of body weight. Keep your carbs below your target and only eat as much fat as you need for satiety. Any additional fat needed, your body will pull from storage. That is assuming you want to lose weight. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My understanding was that if you're running on ketones, the level itself is not important, particularly if you are losing weight as is. Don't go borrowing trouble, maybe? I'm a HUGE fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I tend to break things when I "fix" them...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The level will be more important in therapeutic treatment of a condition. But it's actually the glucose ketone index I posted about previously that would give you a better idea of what's going on. At least with insulin levels anyway.
    If you had taken a blood glucose reading at the same time, you could determine your index level.
    Anything under 10 is good and considered to be a low insulin condition. This is indicative that you're not significantly insulin resistant. Those using ketosis for cancer or epilepsy treatment would want to aim for an index of 1 or at least less than 2.
    But, your blood ketone levels will go up and down all day long. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong. If you tested at having none, there would be something to figure out.

With your reading of .5 you just needed a blood glucose of 90 or less to have an index of less than 10.
    If you didn't, that's an indicator that insulin levels are just a touch higher than might be ideal.

To calculate your GKI, divide blood glucose by the blood ketone value. However, if you're testing glucose in mg/dL like in the US, it first must be converted to mmol/L by dividing by 18. Then divide that number by the blood ketone value.
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    I will do that soon. Retested tonight. 0.9 so it's up.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I will do that soon. Retested tonight. 0.9 so it's up.

So, let's say if you had a BG of say 90 at that time, your GKI would be a very solid 5.5! And even if it were 100, you'd have a GKI of 6.1.
    So, the fact that ketones go up and down all day and so does BG, keeps a fluctuation in your GKI all day too. But staying under 10 is really what you want to aim for as far as general health benefits
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I'm a HUGE fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I tend to break things when I "fix" them...

@KnitOrMiss ...omg this so made me laugh!! :D
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I'm a HUGE fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I tend to break things when I "fix" them...

@KnitOrMiss ...omg this so made me laugh!! :D

It conjures up all sorts of images - and memories, sad to say.

I can almost taste the duct tape... :s