Latest a1c

Options
1234usmc
1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
Just got my latest a1c. 5.8. Not bad but not where I want it. Between low carb eating and exercise I was sure hoping for 5.5 but it's better than the 7.9 of 2 years ago.

Replies

• GalatiansTwoTwenty
    Options
    That is great! Sounds like you are doing well with this.

What should the a1c be? I was under the impression that 6.0 - 6.9 is okay.

Also wanted to share that my latest a1c was 6.4 - three months earlier it was 8.4! Woohoo!

Many, many blessings!
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    That is great! Sounds like you are doing well with this.

What should the a1c be? I was under the impression that 6.0 - 6.9 is okay.

Also wanted to share that my latest a1c was 6.4 - three months earlier it was 8.4! Woohoo!

Many, many blessings!

Below 7 is considered good. Looks like you're doing well as well.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats to both usmc and galations.... both huge improvements in your A1C and definitely something to be proud of; well done!
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    That's amazing to drop that much in 3 months. Great job.

And thanks, 5.8 for a diabetic is pretty good. I want it to be normal again. I am not strict low carb to the point of being in ketosis. I know that would get it down where it really needs to be, I just haven't been willing to make that commitment. I think 6-6.9 is old school guidelines like saying eat 40g carbs a meal or whatever. The long term results of diabetes are terrible, like my mom on dialysis and the lower you can keep your a1c the better.

My mom gets on me for eating the way I do and I just want to scream your way hasn't worked at all!! Doctors have been wrong all of these years. I'm not saying doctors were misleading people on purpose at all, I'm saying research has proven without a doubt that the only way to avoid the many long term ramifications is to reduce carb intake.

I go back to the dr monday to go over my blood work and she will tell me again I am doing great and I am too hard on myself. I just don't want to turn into my mom.
  • GalatiansTwoTwenty
    Options
    You may want to talk to your doctor about your fear of being like your mom. Perhaps she will help you in this concern. Sorry, if you have already done this. If you haven't, I hope this helps you! Will be remembering your appointment tomorrow!
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1234usmc wrote: »
    That's amazing to drop that much in 3 months. Great job.

And thanks, 5.8 for a diabetic is pretty good. I want it to be normal again. I am not strict low carb to the point of being in ketosis. I know that would get it down where it really needs to be, I just haven't been willing to make that commitment. I think 6-6.9 is old school guidelines like saying eat 40g carbs a meal or whatever. The long term results of diabetes are terrible, like my mom on dialysis and the lower you can keep your a1c the better.

My mom gets on me for eating the way I do and I just want to scream your way hasn't worked at all!! Doctors have been wrong all of these years. I'm not saying doctors were misleading people on purpose at all, I'm saying research has proven without a doubt that the only way to avoid the many long term ramifications is to reduce carb intake.

I go back to the dr monday to go over my blood work and she will tell me again I am doing great and I am too hard on myself. I just don't want to turn into my mom.

Congrats! You are your own best health advocate, and it will serve you well.

I share your view that ADA guidelines have led many diabetics astray (including me, for years... ) and induced a false sense of comfort in a lifestyle that unnecessarily raises your risk for Alzheimer's, heart disease, autoimmune troubles, etc.

Here's some food for thought...
    • An A1C of 6.0 means your approximate average BG is 120. That is high enough to raise your risk for Alzheimer's disease...
    • (A1c of 7.0 = 150..... )
    • Just to get your average BG below 100 takes your A1c all the way down to 5.3.
    • But to approximate a non-diabetic's BG patterns, you would need to get your A1c below 5.0. (!)

Dr. Bernstein often says diabetics deserve to have the same BG as non-diabetics... Shouldn't this be the initial goal for all T2Ds?

• 1234usmc
    Options
    Thanks!! I don't pret3nd to be an expert but I try to research as much as I can. I'm with Dr. B. Shooting for normal.
  • RalfLott
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Better missing when shooting for a really healthy target than succeeding in reaching one that's dicey (and being satisfied with having accomplished your goal - that's the real danger!)
    Good luck - keep us posted.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Back from my GP. Drum Roll please. A1C is 5.8, which makes me quite happy. I'm anemic, so I have to try and get more iron. Everything else is good, so more meat.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Back from my GP. Drum Roll please. A1C is 5.8, which makes me quite happy. I'm anemic, so I have to try and get more iron. Everything else is good, so more meat.

** Congratulations! **
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Congratulation Judy!!!! That is just awesome!!!!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    I do have a question though that I would like your opinion.
    In June when I saw the endocrinologist, she said my sugar levels were good. My A1C at the time was 6.5%, and my daily sugars ranged from 6 to low 8's, with sometimes a very low if I didn't eat right. She said to start reducing my glycacide by 30 mg a week until I wasn't taking it at all. When I did, my sugars went up, so I never lowered it after that. I'm just wondering if I should try again, or wait until I see the endocrinologist in January. Or wait entirely 'til after my surgery.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I would be way out of my league here. Wish I could offer some helpful thoughts!
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just checked the results from my doctor visit on friday... A1C 6.3! it was 7.9 in january, 7.0 in june i'm a happy boy today! my records just go back to 2013 and this is the lowest A1C result in that time frame
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My result in today. Up from 5.3 to 5.5, despite losing another stone. I guess a Metformin teb taken away had an impact.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    still, 5.5 is awesome!!!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    My result in today. Up from 5.3 to 5.5, despite losing another stone. I guess a Metformin teb taken away had an impact.

It's still pretty good though.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options

still such a great number.... i look forward to someday loosing a pill or more, i'm hoping to get to give up januvia first
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    5.2 My all time low! 11/4/16
    Dr said I may get off Rx meds (Levermir pen) completely in three months!

This is after four years on WW and adding exercise in the form of water aerobics, swimming and walking 10K steps a day (my goal).