GoaD on the Run - Monday 10/17

Options
jbrack381us
jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

Today's topic: How much of a role do you think running plays into your WL/maintenance?

Replies

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've never tried to lose weight when I wasn't also trying to improve fitness, so the two things are hard to think about separately. I could probably lose weight without running/fitness, but it'd be lot less fun!

Fun 4.5 mile loop yesterday. I've done the same route three weekends in a row now, and it's been fun to see the seasonal changes. Unseasonably warm here. It was 70F and humid when I ran yesterday afternoon.

Possible bike ride today, or maybe I'll get my sorry behind into the gym for lifting. I have been getting my runs in over the past two weeks, but not the strength and cross-training workouts that are also on my schedule. I'll do better this week. Baby steps. Lol.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Des Plaines River Trail Marathon - Saturday 10/15
    The weather was overcast, windy, and in the upper 50’s at the start. Because of the need to take a shuttle bus from remote parking, there was much sitting around in the wind before the race started. I kept my jacket and pants on until shortly before we started. Even doing that, my teeth were chattering for the first ¼ mile. Then I warmed up and the long sleeve shirt and arm warmers ended up tied around my waist.

The course was on a crushed limestone trail with not much in the way of incline changes. The trail went through the woods so there were only a few spots where you could feel the brisk wind. Temps got into the mid 60’s by the end of the race. The humidity was high so my glasses kept fogging up a bit.

The first 9 miles were uneventful. I was holding a comfortable pace and doing a 9 minute run/1 minute walk cycle. I was on target to come in under 6 hours. After 2 hours, my right IT band and right side of my sacrum really tightened up to the point that it became painful to run as well as walk. As I had gone into this marathon with nothing more than a ½ marathon 2 weeks prior, I had figured there would be a lot of discomfort the second half.

Having issues before mile 10 was frustrating as I had a couple of good runs last weekend without any issues.
    I started walking more and running a lot less in hopes of getting things to loosen up. I took some salt capsules thinking that perhaps this was some weird cramp (typically it is my adductor or calf that cramps). Nothing was working and by mile 13, my goal of getting in under 6 hours had slipped away. My mood was dark but I kept going as I was determined to finish.

The turnaround was between mile 14 and 15 (we had gone south for a 3 mile loop prior to going north on the trail for the remainder of the race). There was an aid station at the turnaround so I stopped and had some flat Coca-Cola. Shortly after this point, I was finally able to start running a bit more as the tightness finally released. By mile 16 I was back into a 3 minute walk/2 minute run cycle.

I got to mile 20 before the 5 hour mark and realized that I just needed to run a bit more and walk a bit less and I would be able to finish in under 6:30. I started gradually lengthening the running bits and shortening the walking time. Around mile 22, another woman caught up with me. Turns out she had a sweatband of mine that I had dropped at the previous aid station! We had played leapfrog several times during the race. She was hurting, too, as a foot injury had kept her from running much in the weeks leading up to the race. I told her I was doing run/walk and she said she would like to stay with me. I told her that my goal was to come in under 6:30. She said that would be great as she was happy to just get in under 7:00.

The miles passed more quickly as we chatted about all things running. We picked up another woman around mile 24 who admitted that she should have trained better for a marathon. Her running had consisted of 5 mile sessions on the treadmill with no outside running. Oops.

By mile 25 I was doing a 3 minute run/2 minute walk cycle. The horses smelled the barn and I was eager to be done. My new friends dropped back a bit when I went running up the last bridge before the finish. Finally I saw the finish area and I just kept running. I finished in 6:26:36. My friends both finished just a bit later. Looking at the results, the first woman I had picked up did get in under 6:30, but the other woman I think was after that because she had started in an earlier wave. The first wave went off at 8:00, I was in the wave that started at 8:09. No matter their start time, I had helped push them to a better finishing time than they would have had on their own.

The pre-race instructions said that the shuttle buses were only running until 2:30pm. It was 2:37pm when I was walking over to pick up my gear. I saw a volunteer and asked if there were any more buses otherwise I would have to walk another mile back to my car. She informed me that there was still one bus running until 3:30pm. Thank goodness! I told the driver that he was a sight for sore eyes and sore legs!

So even though this race didn’t go quite as planned, I still finished strong as my pace really picked up the last 2 miles. In addition, I looked back at my prior marathon finishing times since I turned 50, and this is my second fastest of the 5 I have done.

I felt pretty good yesterday with just some mild muscle soreness. Stairs aren’t an issue, thankfully. I think the time I spent in the pool and hot tub after the race really helped a lot.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Regina! Wow that is inspiring stuff!

I have not run since I blew out my calf a couple of weeks ago. Now I'd be starting over yet again. I really wish that I could make up my mind if I really want to be a runner or not. I suppose if I don't run, I really don't want to, but I don't want to just set it aside, either. Argh......
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Nicely done, @gadgetgirlIL!! You don't expect that sort of humidity in October - sounds like the same thing I found here yesterday afternoon. You're report made it seem like fun, which I'm sure it was. Congrats!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian thanks! It was fun except for those middle miles of pain.

84 degrees and sunny here today. Wacky weather.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @shenry111 give yourself some time to heal. You won't lose all your running fitness that quickly. And it will come back when you can run painfree again. BTDT
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    ok . . . my not-going-to-the-gym streak is now one day longer. Jeez, I'm a load. I was off work early and ended up taking a long nap and then watching the ALCS. So no workout yesterday. Scheduled for 2 easy today. Should be lovely!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    It was 70 degrees this morning in Chicago at 6am. So I went outside for a slow run/walk. Good excuse to try out my new waist-mounted light. I got 4.5 miles in. So peaceful as it was just me, the moon, and the bunnies on the trails today.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @gagdetgirl, a BIG WTG! Awesome accomplishment. Very proud of you.
  • jbrack381us
    Options
    Not sure why my days are so busy that I can start the Monday topic, but then it takes me until late Tuesday to answer the question that I posed.

QotD: I think the running portion has as much to do with the mental side of my WL as the physical. If I run, that usually helps with the eating too, as in I have already put in the running, why would I fill my body with extra food/calories that I do not need? While I also know that eating less is important, running and exercise becomes that part of the whole pie that I need to know that I am doing all the right things and doing all that I can within my plan to try and move down the scale.

@gadgetgirlIL Love your race reports and the detail of them. It makes me want to go run a race. But at a much slower pace than you run, that would kill me.

@shenry111 It has now been 10 days since I was last out on a run and I have not even had ailments aside of my rear being too heavy to lift off the couch or out of bed. One of the best pieces of advice that I ever took for my own regarding running: Run like the runner you are, not the runner you used to be, or the runner you wish you were. When I get back out to run next, I can only run as who I am. And I will be OK with that because I still get to go out and run.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    No Weds reboot this week?

2.5 yesterday on the bike/hike path with DW pedaling along. Beautiful evening. We're trying hard to appreciate all of those we have left!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    A sluggish 3 mile walk/run this morning. Cooler than Tuesday but still nice to be outside. The trees are really getting colorful!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    No workout yesterday as the ALCS took priority. I'm a lifelong Indians fan, so as a displaced NEOhian I have to take every chance I get to see my team on the big stage. So pumped to see them in the Series!

3 miles on the schedule this evening. Could be a headlamp run as I have a haircut appointment at 5:30. Yes, it is getting dark that early these days! It's a beautiful day, so too nice for the TM. I haven't used the headlamp since spring. Guessing that fresh batteries are needed.
  • jbrack381us
    Options
    No workout yesterday as the ALCS took priority. I'm a lifelong Indians fan, so as a displaced NEOhian I have to take every chance I get to see my team on the big stage. So pumped to see them in the Series!

As a lifelong Royals fan living in TN, I know the feeling. After the last two years, I do mind casually following this year. But I sure hope we are back in the playoffs next year!
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Please ignore the guy with lame excuses for not starting the Wednesday thread this week. Oops! -- Sorry!

@jbrack381us Thank you for the kind words and sage advice. I am still feeling the tug to run, but just have not gotten there yet. No real good excuses, except that October is our roughest month in terms of grief, and getting off the couch seems that much more difficult. Having said that, I am now at 4 weeks without anti-depressants. I'm actually feeling pretty good. DW is giving a presentation out of town on Monday, and I'm driving her there. It is about 200 miles from home. After that, things will calm down a little for us. Monday would have been Jake's 28th birthday. Connie is the opening speaker to a training conference for law enforcement and prosecutors on Drug Recognition and Drunk Driving.

Question: I've sometimes thought that having a gym membership would "force" me to exercise better. On the other hand, I worry that I'll have a gym membership, and simply be making a monthly contribution to the YMCA. Any experiences there? We have at least 3 different facilities within 10 miles of our home, but none closer than 5 miles away. I don't know how much of a difference it would make to lose 10ish minutes on either side for commute.

Thanks! -- Steve