Fat facts

Options
dkpeckham
dkpeckham Posts: 6 Member
I watched a BBC documentary where a reputable scientist stated that saturated fat is bad as it raises LDL cholesterol, clogs up arteries and is linked to heart disease but he also said mono and polysaturated fats were healthy. I've also read within the Keto community that saturated fats have no link to heart disease. Anyone can shed more light on this?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eric Westman has some good information. A podcast by Chris Masterjohn, PhD called "The Daily Lipid" covers a lot of this information, too. I just listened to the #1 podcast again, and he explains a lot of why certain numbers in this are skewed.

There are a number of resources in our "cousin" group LCD - Low Carbers Daily that include additional books and website links that have been meticulously documented in the sticky post there. I highly recommend that group for additional resources, rather than attempt to duplicate those here. That group covers all levels of any type of carbohydrate restriction, including keto, but not limited to only keto.

I wish you luck in your search.
  • kn_morrow
    kn_morrow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You basically have to start by wondering, why do they believe fat is bad? Where did this idea come from? When I first started keto, I was so scared. It was really difficult to undo the 'fat phobia' in my mind because I had been told my whole life that eating fat kills people and continue to see articles all the time about it. As someone who has done keto off and on for over a year and has seen amazing health benefits, I'm no longer afraid of fat or cholesterol. At my last dr's visit 2 weeks ago, he not only said my blood pressure was great, he actually said it was "ideal"! I'm getting blood work done next Monday and go in for results in early November, so I will be sure to post those.

But for some research, knitormiss had some great suggestions. There was also a great vid about this just a few days ago on DietDoctor.com...

https://www.dietdoctor.com/debunking-great-cholesterol-myth

You can watch it for free by signing up on their site and canceling your account within 30 days. I've done it a few times to watch videos.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The "fat is bad" theory primarily started when President Dwight D. Eisenhower was treated for heart-related health issues in the 1950's. If you look back, this was when vegetable oil and corn producers really started pushing their products and such. It is also when the current obesity epidemic, as it's called, ramped up and really got going. While correlation is not causation, it sure looks crazy, when looking back, doesn't it?

We stopped eating as much fats, focused on manufactured and fortified foods, and diabetes reared up and overwhelmed a big segment of the population, etc. That right there is enough to have me run screaming for the hills, the hills of healthy natural fats!