Boyfriend thinks I'm going to stroke out!

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Aquawave wrote: »
    I don't care what other people think when they watch me eat. First off, it's rude to stare/comment and second, I usually am appalled at what they eat and bite my own tongue to keep from commenting about their horrible eating patterns.

When it comes to strangers, coworkers, acquaintances, etc I agree totally. But to know the most important adult in my life doesn't support and/or understand? That would be really tough for me especially since we try to always support each other in anything we do - even if we don't "get it". I fully feel the OPs pain, having been there before in past relationships.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    I say this about my own relatives and close friends. There is no pain there. Maybe if I were younger....I am 60 and have learned to have my own mind regardless of what my loved ones think. Relationships go better without commenting on other people's eating behaviors. By being a good example and losing the weight, normalizing my sugars, there is no better statement than that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Tell him to educate himself before making judgements. I second making him watch a documentary or listening to a few podcasts by Mark Sisson, Ben Greenfield, or Abel James.

Have your partner support your nutrition decisions is pretty important, especially if you are trying to lose weight. My boyfriend completely derailed me off my previous died (bodybuilder style).....and while I was mad he couldn't be supportive - I also now see that he just really cared about me and wanted me to eat healthy food that was supported by science. If I didn't come around to the LCHF/Keto stuff....we would be broken up by now.

@esjones12 - I'll just say that this does not work if the SO is utterly convinced that every single thing you tell him is bro-science and made up ... rather than the reality. My guy had some idiot tell him like 15 years ago that due to the Rh factor and extra platlets in his blood that he has to keep a steady stream of sugar in his body to avoid hypogylcemia. It lodged deep in his brain and there are other outside factors aside from stubbornness that keep him from accepting any other idea (TBI and other issues)... So he does what he remembers and keeps drinking soda...even though the rest of LCHf does him well.

But that is a battle I have decided I don't care about. I'm making the core meal. He can add his bread and crap, I'll add my fats, and we will agree to disagree. Until he wakes up to reality, I'm not even worried anymore. But it can be stressful, particularly when he thinks I'm off plan, or it is a choice for me to be, and then I'm "not even sticking with it" and blah blah blah. He doesn't understand how I'm making it work for me, and that is fine.

But in general, even with him, I'll tell him to %(#&%#&%^)@^& the heck off if he's being too much a jerk about it. Will tell others the same.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Tell him to educate himself before making judgements. I second making him watch a documentary or listening to a few podcasts by Mark Sisson, Ben Greenfield, or Abel James.

Have your partner support your nutrition decisions is pretty important, especially if you are trying to lose weight. My boyfriend completely derailed me off my previous died (bodybuilder style).....and while I was mad he couldn't be supportive - I also now see that he just really cared about me and wanted me to eat healthy food that was supported by science. If I didn't come around to the LCHF/Keto stuff....we would be broken up by now.

@esjones12 - I'll just say that this does not work if the SO is utterly convinced that every single thing you tell him is bro-science and made up ... rather than the reality. My guy had some idiot tell him like 15 years ago that due to the Rh factor and extra platlets in his blood that he has to keep a steady stream of sugar in his body to avoid hypogylcemia. It lodged deep in his brain and there are other outside factors aside from stubbornness that keep him from accepting any other idea (TBI and other issues)... So he does what he remembers and keeps drinking soda...even though the rest of LCHf does him well.

But that is a battle I have decided I don't care about. I'm making the core meal. He can add his bread and crap, I'll add my fats, and we will agree to disagree. Until he wakes up to reality, I'm not even worried anymore. But it can be stressful, particularly when he thinks I'm off plan, or it is a choice for me to be, and then I'm "not even sticking with it" and blah blah blah. He doesn't understand how I'm making it work for me, and that is fine.

But in general, even with him, I'll tell him to %(#&%#&%^)@^& the heck off if he's being too much a jerk about it. Will tell others the same.

Hey, if it works for you that is awesome lol. I am very lucky to have a BF with an incredibly open mind and a thirst for knowledge. He listens to an abnormal amount of podcasts from top fitness and health professionals who interview scientists and researchers.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    He seems to be finally coming around a bit. He must have noticed me shooting daggers at him because he's now adopted the "if it works for you" attitude. He does still keep pointing out all these other diet success stories which is annoying. I mean if they had worked I would have stuck with it. Anyways. I may get some of the literature and movies you all have suggested to get him to realize it's not a fad. I actually went on this diet with my Mom Bc her a1c had gone up to 13!!!! She is doing sooooo much better now. She has cut her morning and evening insulin. Is able to not take the long acting insulin at all now. I'm not diabetic but I think I have some impairment of carbohydrate metabolism. I can't wait for my moms next endo appointment so I can tell my boyfriend her new numbers.
  • Aquawave
    Wow, you are really helping and encouraging your mom. If you were my daughter, he__, even if your not, I am proud of you!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    :) Congratulations to your mother!

If you keep this up, you may never have the health issues that she has.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Thanks you guys :-) My mom has had me super worried lately b/c she cares for my father who has Alzheimer's Disease. It's very taxing on her, and the rest of us too, but she's in direct contact with him all the time. I think the depression of dealing with him and watching him decline had thrown her into a bad place. That's what caused her to get so out of control blood sugar wise. I feel that her going on this diet has really improved her outlook and she feels so much better now. I'm so proud of her :-) My BF will not be able to deny this WOE really helps once we gets her next set of numbers. My BF and I both work in healthcare but he has a very rigid view of nutrition. I know better, I've seen my mom battle T2DM for years. It's not as simple as calories in = calories out. The BF is one of those people who can eat a couple packs of oatmeal and go all day and not get shaky, weak or irritable. He just doesn't understand b/c he's never experience what some of us have.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    That's awesome news! I wish that I could get my mother to adopt this WOE.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    AWESOME!!! thats a great improvement!!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    so amazing @Persephone7676
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    That's great! Maybe that will help your boyfriend lighten up a bit or maybe switch off the oatmeal and pancakes.
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    Wow! Great results for your mom!!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Btw @Persephone7676 this WOE has also been shown to benefit and sometimes improve Alzheimer's. Just fyi fwiw.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Holy moly! That's awesome!
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I have sort of developed this habit: if I know I will be eating around others at some point in the day, I get my fats in during the "off" time. That way I'm eating similar to others at the lunch or dinner with a few vegetables with some butter and some meat/protein.

Some might consider that habit as not "owning" what I eat (keto) but I clearly see it as a way of not having to listen to other people's negative opinions on my food choices.

I love this advice.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Fortunate that my husband has been eating lower carb and higher fat after seeing such positive results in me. The benefits can't be denied! He has lost about 15 pounds, but wasn't very much overweight to start with. He loves HWC in his coffee just as I do! Prefers butter and whole foods too! Doesn't care for anything processed anymore, and I love that! He has developed a love for dark chocolate, lol, even more than me!

He was reluctant at first though! Once he realized that u was getting healthy his opinion changed. Hang in there! The benefits of this woe are greater than their opinion!
  • Aquawave
    Today my Mom had her endocrinologist appointment. She's been doing this WOE for about 1 month. Her last A1c was 8.4 and today it was 6.1!!!! Can you believe that!?!?!?!

Holy Kittens! That is absolutely fantastic and motivating!!! Thanks for sharing.