Heavy Cream!!! Only Cream!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• MindfulMother
    MindfulMother Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

"Double Devon Cream — Double Devon cream is just as it sounds. It is the creamiest of the cream from the Devonshire Jersey cow! It’s really not whipped – it’s just so thick that a knife can stand up in it! It comes close to butter, but has a unique creamy flavor that differs from butter"

I am now on a quest to find this bit of heaven you speak of!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

@canadjineh -
    Do you have to get by St. Peter first?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    "Double Devon Cream — Double Devon cream is just as it sounds. It is the creamiest of the cream from the Devonshire Jersey cow! It’s really not whipped – it’s just so thick that a knife can stand up in it! It comes close to butter, but has a unique creamy flavor that differs from butter"

@MindfulMother ...You can find it at Whole Foods. Tried it. Wasn't impressed as it has almost no flavor because it's literally just fat and fat by itself usually has little to no flavor. Definitely eat it with something else that does have flavor, berries, etc.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @MindfulMother & @RalfLott I can get a little jar of it at my locally owned grocery store, also at Safeway/Sobey's, Save On Foods, etc. Not too hard to find here.
    (St. Peter will let you through if you bribe with a spoonful.)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Someone explained to me once that in the conversion mass/volume, milliliters and grams turn out the same.

The conversion depends entirely on the density of the item - so mm=g is not (generally) a reliable conversion. It works for water (100 grams of water = 100 ml of water= .42 cups of water).

Not so much for other things.

For example, honey is a very dense liquid. 100 grams of honey = 69.58 ml = .29 cups of honey. On the other hand cream is not that far off , 100 grams of cream = 98.86 ml of cream = .42 cups of water. Rubbing alcohol, not that you would drink it, is less dense than water. 100 grams of rubbing alcohol = 126 ml = .53 cups of water).

So the same weight of lowest density liquid I ran across in a density chart I could find easily has nearly twice the volume of the highest density.

As a practical matter, if you use your 1 ml = 1 gram conversion for honey, you'd be consuming nearly twice the calories you think you're consuming.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I best stay in the USA. :p
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    So.....

100% - 2% fat - 2%protein - 36% fat = 60% H20 + plastic and other non-caloric fillers?

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Sigh, I miss Wisconsin. There is no fresh heavy cream in Las Vegas. It's all UHP with additives and stuff. I can't even find non homogenized milk, so as to skim off my own cream. I'm okay with that, but gee, is there really zero demand in this area for fresh dairy products?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    @williams969

Have you tried Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in Las Vegas?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I was curious about what heavy cream is too, so I looked up the fat percentages and it seems quite similar to what we would call double cream in the UK (except that it seems that heavy cream is heat-treated?). You can whip double cream, of course, but there is also "whipping cream" which has less fat than double (but more than single). Clotted cream has a higher fat content than heavy cream or double cream and is my favourite!

Funnily enough, fresh cream is really easy to get hold of in the UK, but I really miss tinned, sterilised cream as it reminds me of my childhood!