new to group

secret_despair30
secret_despair30 Posts: 57 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
well this is kind of an intro and my concerns so I didn't wanna necessarily put this in the "new members" section.
anyway, my name is Kristen. ive been doing omad on and off for several years with temporary success. the reason I say its temporary, is because despite the popular belief that the first week is the hardest and its supposed to get easier the more u do it. I am the exact opposite! the first week or 2 isn't that bad. im about 6 weeks in and ive been feeling like I miss food too much! im usually a pro at eating once a day, but seeing as im still at that weight loss plateau that ive been stuck on for weeks (only losing a few ounces per week), its very demotivating and im terrified of the scale. so especially during that one week out of the month, (every female will now what I mean), it is especially hard! I even exercise here and there, just some light walking. and I even do an average of 5-10 miles once a week when I visit my local theme park, and that's on my splurge day in which I only have 2 light meals and maybe 1 snack if I feel like it! so I don't understand it. if anything, I feel like im gaining weight!!!!

also, when people say they can do this for years nonstop, I can only go for a few weeks to a few months before I REALLY start to miss food and it gets harder and harder. on the emotional side of things, I do suffer with a lot of stress in my life and have issues with severe anxiety, and multiple psychological "labels"! I have a strong tendency to stress and boredom eat, so maybe its the lack of having those comfort foods, and the fact that it feels like im restricting myself and saying I absolutely can not have those foods, even denying myself even a sip of water after ive had my meal unless it is to take my pain medications! I bloat like crazy!
well I don't know what else I can say, but I do appreciate tips, or maybe someone here can relate so that I don't have to feel alone here.

thanks for reading!

Replies

• SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hello Secret....nice to meet you.

Have you read Joe's story and watched his videos? A new one comes out each week. They will show you what to do and he addresses emotional issues along with many other things to help you be successful with OMAD.

Under the 'Announcements', click on the 'UT section', sign up, and begin watching them. They will explain everything and maybe you will find something that will help you. I watch them all the time for motivation and have learned so much from him.

I've only been doing OMAD since August but I love it. I eat what I want during my feeding window and keep track of my calories because I don't want to eat more than I should. Also, I drink lots of water and tea. No exercise is required right now, only gentle walking and getting out in the sun a little. He has so many tips that can help you as far as foods to eat, mental issues that get in the way, and many other important things to work the program so take a look and if you have any questions just let us know or you can contact Joe.

mn6rn13rarb2.jpg

• OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    well this is kind of an intro and my concerns so I didn't wanna necessarily put this in the "new members" section.
    anyway, my name is Kristen. ive been doing omad on and off for several years with temporary success. the reason I say its temporary, is because despite the popular belief that the first week is the hardest and its supposed to get easier the more u do it. I am the exact opposite! the first week or 2 isn't that bad. im about 6 weeks in and ive been feeling like I miss food too much! im usually a pro at eating once a day, but seeing as im still at that weight loss plateau that ive been stuck on for weeks (only losing a few ounces per week), its very demotivating and im terrified of the scale. so especially during that one week out of the month, (every female will now what I mean), it is especially hard! I even exercise here and there, just some light walking. and I even do an average of 5-10 miles once a week when I visit my local theme park, and that's on my splurge day in which I only have 2 light meals and maybe 1 snack if I feel like it! so I don't understand it. if anything, I feel like im gaining weight!!!!

also, when people say they can do this for years nonstop, I can only go for a few weeks to a few months before I REALLY start to miss food and it gets harder and harder. on the emotional side of things, I do suffer with a lot of stress in my life and have issues with severe anxiety, and multiple psychological "labels"! I have a strong tendency to stress and boredom eat, so maybe its the lack of having those comfort foods, and the fact that it feels like im restricting myself and saying I absolutely can not have those foods, even denying myself even a sip of water after ive had my meal unless it is to take my pain medications! I bloat like crazy!
    well I don't know what else I can say, but I do appreciate tips, or maybe someone here can relate so that I don't have to feel alone here.

thanks for reading!

Hi Secret! 1st and foremost, THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR POSTING, zaRwux0M7GPtQ5rKVbjG7a3q0WyN1GnQz-IjMTPJpICuC9N6TVP8MASPgivQSRmyws7bEXDC=w227-h173-p-no
    your posting is going to be a HUGE encouragement to a lot of people on here AND, your posting is actually a huge step in breaking this blasted plateau too. The 2nd thing I'd LOVE for you to know and believe is that you are sooooo NOT alone in this struggle--I personally can and do relate to what's happening in/thru/to you in this OMAD lifestyle and, more important, we ALL have either been there, are currently where you are at or will be there one day, so again...you're not alone, that much I PROMISE okay?!?

Again, your posting often as you can is going to help you a lot too, not merely for the fellowship but also for the most excellent accountability aspect too. There are some really loving/caring/I mean business folks on here that will help lift you up and also help you keep your nose to the grindstone (so to speak), for me...that's the BOMB, because even though we truly are doing this lifestyle change for ourselves mainly--knowing others are being helped and can help us is something awesome too.

Please take a look at these videos (even if you've seen it before...look at it again, and perhaps you'll discover something that may help you break-thru the plateau and UGHish stuff you're/we're experiencing:

OMAD Diagnostic: How to Troubleshoot Your Stalled Weight Loss Progress
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYzjxLT5XBA

How You Might Be Misuing Splurge Days
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv-dmf2nKLw

What I Learned About Success in Life From Intermittent Fasting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Elw-Z9Ers

LASTLY...I'm so GLAD you're here--you are going to help so many people, including me and most important--yourself as you post more and I think you're brave and strong to post here today

P.S. tumblr_nkgoy0nvUz1qc4uvwo1_500.jpg

• secret_despair30
    i have actually seen several of his videos of already and subscribed as well. i just discovered today that i had lost another 3 pounds since last week, so i think that was a positive sign im still on the right track. but with the holidays coming up im afraid i wont have the will to keep going. just seeing a picture of a pumpkin pie will make me feel really depressed because i know i cant have it! i am so easily bored and its hard when im just sitting at home on the computer watching hundreds of videos when i could be stuffing my face with sweets because i feel so unaccomplished and stressed. i don't work, but even my hobbies don't keep me busy and distracted from food for long.

but anyway, thanks for the support and i really hope im in the right group. i was very skeptical because throughout the years no matter what forum i joined....im the kind of person who is very complicated and hard to deal with so i got bullied and kicked out of some!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Welcome!
    I'm new to this but I think the best way to handle it is day-by-day, week-by-week. Set smaller goals and if you have a lot of time to kill which you'd usually use to eat, spend all of this time looking at hot female bodies at your goal weight. Look at before and after photos. Watch videos.

and... another suggestion, eat in front of a mirror, in your underwear and really look at your body. This will remind you that you're not at your goal weight and that eating will make it harder for you to get there.

Another tip is to take weekly progress photos. I look at the mirror daily but the photos also shock me and keep me on track.

Keeping us updated with your progress will help you, as it would help us. We're all in this together.

Good luck!
  • secret_despair30
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Welcome!
    spend all of this time looking at hot female bodies at your goal weight. Look at before and after photos. Watch videos.

quote]

actually what really helps me is when I watch those documentaries where people are like 500+ pounds where they literally cant go out of their house and need surgery. it helps sometimes. just need to remember to do that more often when I get the cravings, lol.
    I don't trend to look at "before and after" pics because they could've been easily photoshopped, like for magazines, articles and weight loss program ads.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Hello Secret....nice to meet you.

Have you read Joe's story and watched his videos? A new one comes out each week. They will show you what to do and he addresses emotional issues along with many other things to help you be successful with OMAD.

Under the 'Announcements', click on the 'UT section', sign up, and begin watching them. They will explain everything and maybe you will find something that will help you. I watch them all the time for motivation and have learned so much from him.

I've only been doing OMAD since August but I love it. I eat what I want during my feeding window and keep track of my calories because I don't want to eat more than I should. Also, I drink lots of water and tea. No exercise is required right now, only gentle walking and getting out in the sun a little. He has so many tips that can help you as far as foods to eat, mental issues that get in the way, and many other important things to work the program so take a look and if you have any questions just let us know or you can contact Joe.

mn6rn13rarb2.jpg

Hi... I cannot find the UT section... Can you help me find it please?
  • SavedByGrace26356
    It is first on the list under 'Announcements' or you can copy and paste the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqU8_UPK09E2RRt78CXJ2KQ
  • SavedByGrace26356
    i have actually seen several of his videos of already and subscribed as well. i just discovered today that i had lost another 3 pounds since last week, so i think that was a positive sign im still on the right track. but with the holidays coming up im afraid i wont have the will to keep going. just seeing a picture of a pumpkin pie will make me feel really depressed because i know i cant have it! i am so easily bored and its hard when im just sitting at home on the computer watching hundreds of videos when i could be stuffing my face with sweets because i feel so unaccomplished and stressed. i don't work, but even my hobbies don't keep me busy and distracted from food for long........

If you watch Joe's videos on how to do OMAD then you will find some important information. You can have a piece of pumpkin pie during your eating window. You can have whatever you want as long as you stay within your calorie range. He explains that as you continue following OMAD, your body will begin craving healthier foods.

Make sure you pick your eating window. He has a video showing how to do that. Make sure you drink plenty of water and non-calorie beverages throughout the day to keep you from getting hungry. During your eating window eat a nice dinner and you can have a dessert to help with your sweet tooth.

Try to be positive about the program. Don't say I can't or you won't make it. When you're bored and want to eat, that's the time to get a big glass of water and watch these videos. They give you motivation to keep going. You can take a 'slow' walk, call a friend, visit a family member, crochet or do something with your hands, etc. You have to want to do this and you must know why you're doing it. Again, Joe has a video about this. That's why I say it's important to watch them. He guides you through every obstacle you could face.

I spent two whole weekends when I began OMAD and all I did was watch his videos over and over and I still watch them. I needed everything to sink in so I could do the program and never look back. There are obstacles to get past but if you truly want to do it you will do it. Just because you mess up doesn't mean you stop. You pick yourself up and keep going. You are changing your habits so it takes time for your mind to get it.

You can choose the time you want your eating window to be but I find it's easier for me in the evenings. When I first began OMAD I ate a very, very small salad at 2 pm and ate the rest of my meal between 4 and 6 pm. After a week or two I was able to give up the salad and eat my meal between 4 and 6 pm all the time. That doesn't mean you don't get hunger pains but you learn to live with it until they pretty much go away. After 6 pm the only thing I have is water and cammomille tea.

I go to bed at 9 pm and get up at 5 am and go to work. Now that I've done the program for a while I get a few hunger pains around 3 pm and I drink a lot of water, drive home from work, and begin fixing dinner. It really isn't hard, it's just being disciplined. Once you begin doing this you will begin getting disciplined in other areas of your life.

If there is a birthday party, holiday dinner, etc. I change my feeding window to accommodate the event and don't eat during my regular feeding window. I still only eat once a day.

I hope you don't think I'm being pushy or anything like that. It isn't my intention. I just know everyone can do this if they would just give it a chance. We are all here for you.

Linda (SavedByGrace) ♥

• SavedByGrace26356
    PS - Yeah for the 3 pound weight loss!!!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Linda's right @secret_despair30. Binge watch Joe's videos. I've done it a couple of times. It really helps! Good to have you here.

I wonder where Secret Despair is? Watching the videos several times over and over helped me to work up the courage to commit to OMAD, no matter what, for at least the first 6 weeks. By then I will have lost a bit of weight and be fully adapted. Likely I will be at a point with OMAD where it is an automatic habit by 6 weeks in. Then I'll continue until I hit goal and likely go back to 2MAD to maintain.

• SavedByGrace26356
    DebSozo wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Linda's right @secret_despair30. Binge watch Joe's videos. I've done it a couple of times. It really helps! Good to have you here.

I wonder where Secret Despair is? Watching the videos several times over and over helped me to work up the courage to commit to OMAD, no matter what, for at least the first 6 weeks. By then I will have lost a bit of weight and be fully adapted. Likely I will be at a point with OMAD where it is an automatic habit by 6 weeks in. Then I'll continue until I hit goal and likely go back to 2MAD to maintain.

Great plan....