How do you use your carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Dairy and vegetables -- I attempt to stay under 20g total carbs but I do let that side if I am really wanting more veggies.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    veggies, beans, nuts, dairy - sometimes rice or potato or fruit
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Mostly salad, sometimes the occasional fruit, nuts, some cheeses, rye crisps
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    Primarily lower carb veggies, full fat dairy, and lower carb nuts. I learned the hard way that I need to stay away from higher carb nuts - e.g., cashews - 1 ounce is just a tease!
    Yup you are right on that - 1 oz is just a tease!!
  • Perry47
    Perry47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Avocado, tomato, HWC. I'm at 20g or under and feel very energetic. If I go much higher, I tend to feel sluggish and less focused.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    mostly veggies and cheese, nuts every once in awhile. I keep it to <30 net carbs daily.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    In order of priority:

1. Dark chocolate
    2. Wine
    3. Veggies
    4. Nuts
    5. Dairy

Don't get me wrong, I love dairy but I try not to consume stuff that is more than 1g per serving. But I will budget carbs for chocolate and wine.

We should hang out! :wink:
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, nuts, cheddar sausages, and caesar salads mostly (lots of nuts!).
  • StellaFont
    StellaFont Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Half and Half for my coffee (cutting that back, just can't seem to get rid of it completely), Salads/Green beans & cheese.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I use my carbs for strenuous exercise or endurance training

I get them for long bike rides from a snickers bar or something I want. A 3 hour ride burns about 2100 calories. I may eat two candy bars and two protein bars and still have a 1000 calorie deficit

All the carbs get burnt off

Carbs are high octane fuel. Unless I am doing something to burn them off I stick to veggie based slow release low glycemic carbs

The sugar based carbs are bad for me personally unless I burn them off immediately.

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, spaghetti and zucchini squash mostly), full fat greek yogurt (I get Cabot brand and there is a TON of fat in a serving which is one cup, I do 1/2 cup to cut the carbs), raspberries/blueberries/blackberries with the greek yogurt (yogurt ends up being around 12 g net carbs so I make sure rest of my carbs are low for the day), a bunch of cheese, occasionally sun dried tomatoes in pasta, Lily's dark chocolate, nuts/seeds, low carb wraps that I make into tortilla chips to eat with guacamole.
  • MindfulMother
    MindfulMother Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I stay under 20 grams of carbs so I use them for spinach, lettuce,heavy cream and cheese.
  • TomKershawUK
    TomKershawUK Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not super strict, so full-fat milk, vegetables / fruits (eg. tomatoes), dark chocolate... Many cheeses are so low in carbs I don't think it is worth being concerned about.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Mostly low carb veggies, 90% dark chocolate, peanut or cashew butter, Halo Top, and occasionally berries with full fat Greek yogurt.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    1. veggies like spinach, lettuce, avocado, zucchini, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, onions, garlic, brussel sprouts etc. I'm steering clear of starchy ones like potatoes.
    2. dairy - half and half, heavy cream, cheese, sour cream, butter
    3. WINE - with a martini thrown in on occasion
    4. nuts - I buy the little individual packs otherwise I'd eat them all.
    5. nut flours like almond or coconut

I think I'm averaging about 30-35 net carbs a day. I'm not losing super fast, but it's sustainable.
  • TomKershawUK
    TomKershawUK Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Mostly low carb veggies, 90% dark chocolate, peanut or cashew butter, Halo Top, and occasionally berries with full fat Greek yogurt.

I've found that differing brands of chocolate can contain variable amounts of carbs even at the same cocoa solids percentage level, although I'd think at 90% one would be fairly safe.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Mine almost always get filled by incidental carbs in things like eggs and protein powders. Right now, outside of my refeeds, the only non-incidentals that I eat are mustard greens and spinach.