What brands of MCT oil do you guys use?

Options
RAC56
RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
I've just started taking MCT oil. The brand I use is Maju and it has no flavor at all. I really like it. I tried a brand called 'Left Coast' but it had a sweet flavor so I was concerned that there might be something more in it than was listed. Anyone have any brands that they like or don't like? Please share. :)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've used Buried Treasure brand, and it's really good. I've also used the Carrington Farms Liquid Coconut Cooking Oil which is actually MCT if you look at the breakdown. I have not noticed a major quality difference between the two. CF is more cost effective, but BT is only CO, not Palm, and sustainably sourced. @Sunny_Bunny_ did a lot more research into different types than I did, though.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I use now sports pure mct
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Since I use MCT oil specifically as a supplement to boost ketones as part of my ADHD treatment, I want one that is all caprylic acid so that I get the highest dose of that C8 fatty acid for quick brain energy. That's why I use MiCkeyT 8. It's 13.5g caprylic acid per tablespoon. It's the highest concentration I've found besides Dave Aspreys Brain Octane, which is 15 but also more expensive.
    Any other brand I've seen mentioned has a mix of at least calrylic and capric acid and maybe even has lauric acid too. Usually about 4-7g of each per tablespoon. Now, those are very beneficial fatty acids too, but for my purpose for using it, the shortest chain fat makes more sense. And I can get twice as much per tablespoon with the brand I use.
    The blends are a higher concentration as compared to regular coconut oil, and therefore still provide a boost of shorter chain fats as compared.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Since I use MCT oil specifically as a supplement to boost ketones as part of my ADHD treatment, I want one that is all caprylic acid so that I get the highest dose of that C8 fatty acid for quick brain energy. That's why I use MiCkeyT 8. It's 13.5g caprylic acid per tablespoon. It's the highest concentration I've found besides Dave Aspreys Brain Octane, which is 15 but also more expensive.
    Any other brand I've seen mentioned has a mix of at least calrylic and capric acid and maybe even has lauric acid too. Usually about 4-7g of each per tablespoon. Now, those are very beneficial fatty acids too, but for my purpose for using it, the shortest chain fat makes more sense. And I can get twice as much per tablespoon with the brand I use.
    The blends are a higher concentration as compared to regular coconut oil, and therefore still provide a boost of shorter chain fats as compared.

I will definitely have to check this brand out!!
  • FungusGirl
    FungusGirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options

That's good to know. I was planning on buying some Friday because it's so good for you and I was going to make MCT medical marijuana mct with St. John's Wort and another with Valerian for sleep, but I also have ADHD, always have and MS makes it worse. How long did it take to start working for ADHD?
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Zenwise on Amazon. Has no taste.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    FungusGirl wrote: »

That's good to know. I was planning on buying some Friday because it's so good for you and I was going to make MCT medical marijuana mct with St. John's Wort and another with Valerian for sleep, but I also have ADHD, always have and MS makes it worse. How long did it take to start working for ADHD?

The 8 chain fatty acids are used for brain energy by the body even faster and preferentially to available glucose. So it works fast! But, I should note that I still take Adderall. I don't feel "normal" without it at this point. I've taken it for over 10 years but I have been able to drop from the maximum, 30mg XR dose to just 20mg XR since adding the caprylic acid. Some days I skip meds but I just don't have the same mental focus without it. I hope to drop my dosage further in the future.
    I also added ginkgo eventually but I'm not sure there was any noticeable change after that.
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This might be a really ignorant question and if so I apologize. Why use MCT oil and not just coconut oil?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This might be a really ignorant question and if so I apologize. Why use MCT oil and not just coconut oil?

It's detailed above but MCT oil is just a form of coconut oil that is a concentration of only the shorter chain fatty acids with the larger chain ones eliminated or significantly reduced.
    So, for the purposes of supplementation, where a person wants to consume say 13.5g of caprylic acid like I do, I can get that with just 1 tablespoon of the MCT oil that I'm using (not the same for all kinds) instead of 4 (I think) tablespoons of coconut oil, that also comes with lots more stuff than what I'm specifically after.
    I should also note, I continue to use coconut oil also because I like it and those other fats are good too. :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    To add to that, @tshirtartist , Caprylic Acid is straight brain ketones. Your body doesn't have to metabolize it first, so it's like nearly instant jet fuel for the brain. Capric requires a little conversion, and Lauric requires significantly more conversion.

So most people want to use BOTH as regular coconut oil has all of these, with higher concentrations of Lauric Acid...

But the Caprylic is that keto boost even not keto-ers can utilize.
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm new here and haven't done any kind of formal introduction, but I have to pick your brains on this one.

Someone gave me a bottle of MCT oil about a year ago and I knew it was something good, but wasn't really sure what to do with it. I cook almost exclusively with coconut oil, but something tells me this is different.

How do you consume it?

And secondly, if it's just been sitting on my shelf for that long, is it still safe to consume?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @emaline2210 - as far as if it is still good, I would first ask if it is open. If it is not, and hasn't been exposed to heat, they usually have a shelf-life that's pretty long, as it's processed to be shelf stable.

If it is open, I would basically open it and smell it. If you smell ANYTHING AT ALL, I'd toss it. It is supposed to be odorless and tasteless based on the processing. I don't know of anything that smell. If it does have a scent that smells vaguely coconutty, you might try it, but that is up to you.

You can use it exactly in place of coconut oil if you like. You can use it like olive oil and make homemade mayo with it. You can add it to protein shakes...mix it into any food you wouldn't notice it in (it generally blends well), or you could just take it as a supplement with a spoon, you can use it to make fat bombs, add it to your favorite hot beverage of choice, sneak it into a low carb treat, whatever. I've done nearly all of these myself, and the ones I personally haven't done, I know someone who has...

EDITED TO ADD: Essentially it is just a variation of coconut oil that has been refined (method differs by brand, some good, some not) to be liquid at room temperature, be tasteless, be odorless, and be shelf stable. In the refining process to make it liquid at room temp, it removes some of the lauric acid to give a slightly different proportion of the different medium chain triglycerides that naturally occur in coconut or palm oils.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm new here and haven't done any kind of formal introduction, but I have to pick your brains on this one.

Someone gave me a bottle of MCT oil about a year ago and I knew it was something good, but wasn't really sure what to do with it. I cook almost exclusively with coconut oil, but something tells me this is different.

How do you consume it?

And secondly, if it's just been sitting on my shelf for that long, is it still safe to consume?

WELCOME! :)
  • jgreene71
    jgreene71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use NOW Foods MCT Oil. I really like it, but have not tried others.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    After getting tipped off by @KnitOrMiss and @Sunny_Bunny_ , I've been buying straight C8 oil. (Thanks for the tips.)

I'd been getting Mickey's, but the price just rose to $41 at Amazon....

I recently heard an impressive interview with the founder of KetoMCT on one of Jimmy Moore's LLVLC podcasts. Their C8 oil is $40, but you can get a 10% discount for 3 (or 15% for 6) at www.KetoMCT.com. Sounds like good stuff that's carefully produced.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    For MCT thread
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Using Alpha Supreme MCT Oil C8=60%, C10=40%
    I've also used Brain Octane - depends on what's available on the days when my stock is getting low.