Sugar intake...

Options
hmcarlt
hmcarlt Posts: 12 Member
Hey all! How many grams sugar does everyone eat in a day? There seems to be hidden sugar in everything and I usually end up around 10 to 15g by the end of the day. Is this much sugar okay? Is my intake similar to others?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's higher than my total carbs and at least half many others total goal. That doesn't mean it's too much for you though.
    Are you eating any low fat dairy? They like to add sugar when they reduce fat...
    What's your total carb goal? What are the foods you're getting the sugar from?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    When running strict keto, my sugar easily stayed below 5g per day, with most of them being zero. It's absurdly easy when you live on oily fish, eggs, spinach, kimchi, ground beef, and various sausages.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    My carb goal is 30g net or less so I avoid sugar like the plague. As Sunny said, most low-fat foods will have added sugar (they have to put something in there to give it some taste), so I go for full-fat foods and just have a little less of them. I also avoid bread, pasta and starchy veggies as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My "sugar" on "reports" is most often 10 or less but certainly I have days over that. Full fat Greek yogurt is usually the reason...or tomatoes...or carrots. I eat full fat dairy and vegetables. So yes, I have days that are even over 15. It is OK for me and probably OK for you.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    In this case, what works for me is to read every freaking label, front and back before you leave the store. Check the carb/sugar content carefully to ensure whatever you pick up is worth whatever macros are in it. I easily spent 15 minutes in the canned tomato section seeking out a crushed tomato product that would make a quick pizza sauce that made me feel comfortable eating it.

Welcome aboard!

OMG ... bring your glasses if you need them! I can not tell you how many times I've gotten a headache trying to read the stupid information! Often times I bring stuff home because I can't read it and end up not being able to use it. Well at least for myself. Hubby gets those LOL. But it sucks!

Like kpk - I am usually under 10. Between 5-7 most times.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    In this case, what works for me is to read every freaking label, front and back before you leave the store. Check the carb/sugar content carefully to ensure whatever you pick up is worth whatever macros are in it. I easily spent 15 minutes in the canned tomato section seeking out a crushed tomato product that would make a quick pizza sauce that made me feel comfortable eating it.

Welcome aboard!

OMG ... bring your glasses if you need them! I can not tell you how many times I've gotten a headache trying to read the stupid information! Often times I bring stuff home because I can't read it and end up not being able to use it. Well at least for myself. Hubby gets those LOL. But it sucks!

Like kpk - I am usually under 10. Between 5-7 most times.

Yeah, it stinks getting old. I have to bring my stupid reading glasses when I go shopping now.

As far as sugar goes, I try to keep as close to 0 as possible, but you are right about it being hidden in places like sausage and other places where it has no business. You even have to watch out for it in beef jerky. What is that all about?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have readers in my purse, on my desk, in my car....yeah....gettin' old! I told Rowdy the other day I needed one of those glasses chains around my neck because I need them so much now. Or I make my kids read it. I've even taught the 11 year old how to account for the fiber.

ETA: Oh and I HATE that I have to read jerky labels. I get it if it says Teriyaki or sweet and sour on the front but sugar, as you said @cstehansen, has no business in my peppered beef jerky. I finally found some at a local convenience store that sells it with no sugar.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Zero added sugar...so just the minimal amount in my full fat dairy and veggies.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The added sugar thing is a real eye-opener. I used to like the Lawry's seasoned salt but then I read the ingredients and the second ingredient in the list is SUGAR - in seasoned salt?!?!?

Sausage was another eye-opener. Most of the mainstream ones have sugar as well. The good news is that there are several local brands that the Kroger near me carries that have zero carbs and no added sugars!
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    sugar is used as a flavor enhancer the same way they add salt. It's added into almost every single commercial food product. Its so hard to avoid, its better to look at the nutional info instead of the ingredients. Yes, it may have sugar added but it can be so little as to add less than a gram per serving.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I've averaged 13g daily sugar in the last 2 weeks. All from veggies (esp. the carrots, peppers and onions here and there), a wee bit from lactose, and a few KIND bars (which I'm giving up for a while). I use USDA nutr info, so for the veggies, all those fractional amounts add up.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have readers in my purse, on my desk, in my car....yeah....gettin' old! I told Rowdy the other day I needed one of those glasses chains around my neck because I need them so much now.

You may have considered/tried already...mono vision contacts. OMGosh, I love them. Loved them from day 1. I started wearing them when my arms became too short in my 40s. But yep. We had store bought readers everywhere.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    The added sugar thing is a real eye-opener. I used to like the Lawry's seasoned salt but then I read the ingredients and the second ingredient in the list is SUGAR - in seasoned salt?!?!?

Sausage was another eye-opener. Most of the mainstream ones have sugar as well. The good news is that there are several local brands that the Kroger near me carries that have zero carbs and no added sugars!

I found that hard sausages tend to be a lot better about that. Also, we have local Mennonites who make some badass venison sausage if you bring them the meat. I've seen their spicing selection, and there's not a bit of sugar involved.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just checked my food diary and my average sugar grams per day is around 9 to 10 - mostly from dairy or veggies like onions etc. Or if I decide to have a glass of wine. My net carbs average 25-30 daily.

I was browsing jerky brands at the store the other day and almost every single package listed sugar as the second ingredient. Ugh.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Something I noticed is that this app counts Splenda as sugar. I received a notice that I was going over my limit which made me realize it .
  • RowdysLady
    Options

If you like seasoning and a little heat give Tony Chachere's a try. It's in the spice isle. No MSG, only salt, red pepper, black pepper, chili powder, garlic and silicon dioxide to keep it from clumping. I had never heard of it til I met Rowdy and well it's as much a staple in this house as he :smile: I cook nearly every single dish with it and we keep a shaker on the kitchen counter and on the dining room table just like we do salt and pepper.

Yep, I don't eat cased sausage so much any longer because of the carbs that make no sense.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

If you like seasoning and a little heat give Tony Chachere's a try. It's in the spice isle. No MSG, only salt, red pepper, black pepper, chili powder, garlic and silicon dioxide to keep it from clumping. I had never heard of it til I met Rowdy and well it's as much a staple in this house as he :smile: I cook nearly every single dish with it and we keep a shaker on the kitchen counter and on the dining room table just like we do salt and pepper.

Yep, I don't eat cased sausage so much any longer because of the carbs that make no sense.

I found Tony Chachere's when I lived (briefly) in Louisiana. Great stuff that can work well on just about anything. Food seasoning is one place Cajuns have it right.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    Something I noticed is that this app counts Splenda as sugar. I received a notice that I was going over my limit which made me realize it .

The entries are entered by users, it's not MPF per se. When you want to subtract your sugar alcohols search for the item using minus or no sugar alcohols. Often there is an entry for it, otherwise you have to create your own. For a while I was eating way too many Russell Stover sugar free candies and almost all of them could be found minus sugar alcohols.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    or search with the term "net carbs" but still be sure to examine the nutritional info given. Some people who are entering these dont really seem to understand the meaning of NET carbs