Options
13»

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    HawkPNP wrote: »
    kmn118 wrote: »
    @RowdysLady I found that the cheapest tomato paste (39 cents a can) has ONLY tomatoes! YAY for being Ms. Cheap!
    ETA: I mix it with olive oil, onion salt and oregano for my Fathead pizza sauce.

Oh yum....I'm going to have to look...

what store? At my local grocery I had to go with their organic to get the fewest carbs. It's not that expensive, but it's more for sure. Maybe I should check out wal mart...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Guess I'm going to have to tell Rowdy to hunt more often...you know that goes against every single fiber in my being and hurts my soul, right? ;)

I HATE hunting season because he's gone so much. I LOVE hunting season because it makes him so happy to be in the woods and it's the ONLY thing he does just for himself.

So we have honestly been trying to figure out a way to make our land here work for us and to allow Rowdy to retire from his miserable job. I've been thinking goats and cattle. Maybe I need to go hog farm (that will piss off the neighbor..mwhahahaha) and sell sausage. I wonder if I can use my consulting business license and branch out?! :smile:

I already have a source for fresh eggs. If I had a source for fresh pork/sausage, I would be in hog heaven!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    My sugar is 20g or less. Most days it's around 5-10g but days when I make fat bombs or treat myself to Lily's dark chocolate sweetened with stevia (which is the only sweetener I use) it ends up being 15-20g.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I found that hard sausages tend to be a lot better about that. Also, we have local Mennonites who make some badass venison sausage if you bring them the meat. I've seen their spicing selection, and there's not a bit of sugar involved.

I am so jealous @Gallowmere1984!!

I don't know if our sausage is badass or not, but we process our own venison and as soon as it cools a bit more we are slaughtering our pig and processing it ourselves. I cannot wait!

What kind of sausage do you make? My all time favorite is blood pudding, I would have it every weekend when I was a kid. It sounds gross but it's very good for you and high in fat to boot. Dang I'm going to have to go buy some now!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I found that hard sausages tend to be a lot better about that. Also, we have local Mennonites who make some badass venison sausage if you bring them the meat. I've seen their spicing selection, and there's not a bit of sugar involved.

I don't know if our sausage is badass or not, but we process our own venison and as soon as it cools a bit more we are slaughtering our pig and processing it ourselves. I cannot wait!

What kind of sausage do you make? My all time favorite is blood pudding, I would have it every weekend when I was a kid. It sounds gross but it's very good for you and high in fat to boot. Dang I'm going to have to go buy some now!

I've been wanting to give one a go, but haven't been able to find it in my area.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My prescriptions aren't quite as drastic a difference as yours, @kpk54. My right eye is -5.5 and my left is -4.25. They both focus sharply at about computer screen distance and further out a ways. I have 5 pairs of glasses to match my wardrobe, but have to be careful that I not get too deep a frame when I add to my collection, or I will have to peer over them to read and look like an old lady with half glasses, lol. Right now it's harder to get shallower frames as the style has swung back almost to the big 80's frames. B)

*sorry* kinda off topic, lol.
  • RowdysLady
    Options

Right now it's been pretty basic ground deer sausage patties or cased sausages. We add pork fat to it with a blend of spices to taste. I've never much cared for a sage flavor but we want to get into smoky meats and adding cheeses to them. We also make plain ol' ground meat from the deer and use that instead of buying ground beef. Of course we also use the deer for steaks too.

When Rowdy and I met he had a very small set up at his house but when he moved in with me he sold the house to his daughter and left the grinder, meat saw, etc in the "shack" as we called it. Last year I bought a new grinder and stuffer for him and I've been looking at meat saws too. They can get really pricey. He's very resourceful though and had no trouble without the meat saw but I know it would speed the process along for sure. For Father's day year before last I bought a metal building with a huge awning on it for him to do with as he pleases. This is becoming the processing station. I hope very much to send power out to it soon and really make it like his "shack" was at his old house but of course better. :-) I envision a smoking/curing room, lots of space for keeping things cold/frozen, etc. Everything here at the ranch is a work in progress and because there are so many projects they each get done a little at a time.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady Have you ever canned venison? My Mom canned it every year and it was delicious. She canned it it quart jars and it was cut into chunks. Had the texture of a chuck roast.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @RowdysLady Have you ever canned venison? My Mom canned it every year and it was delicious. She canned it it quart jars and it was cut into chunks. Had the texture of a chuck roast.

Interesting...that would make it more tender for sure. I can pickles and plan on many more veggies this next planting season. I think that would be a pretty cool idea. Do you know what she put in it? Did she spice it? Heading to Google after work!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @RowdysLady, So far as I know there were no herbs/spices or anything like that in it. It tasted...like very tender venison. We would eat it out of the jar plain, or she would use it in soups/stews. Many times we had it with a gravy over potatoes or rice. I'm sure she used it for many things. Just like vegetables from our garden, jars of venison were lined up on shelf after shelf after shelf in an out building.

ETA: I looked it up quickly on line and see it can be canned raw. Ours was cooked. I was going to say above that I thought she used the pressure cooker but wasn't sure. I see from a few of the recipes that she probably did use a pressure cooker. Happy canning!!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to give one a go, but haven't been able to find it in my area.

They used to sell it in Canada under the Maple Leaf brand then discontinued it a few years back. I've found a very similar if not better version in Seattle from a shop called Bavarian Meats. I slice it up like pepperoni and pan fry it until crispy.