Wife Wants Pho!!!

Options
collegefbfan
collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
Okay before keto the wife and I would enjoy Thai food about once a week. We love pho. Her more than me. Is there any way to have it? I don't think there is cause of the noodles. Let me know peeps. If we did consume, how bad would it make a person feel?

Replies

• emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Order it with no noodles and sub extra meat or veggies.
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    That's what I said. Yeah after she saw the carb count she felt defeated.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I agree to order without noodles. If you want, add your own low carb alternatives, assuming you're getting the pho to go. If dining in, maybe they would sub in cabbage for the noodles, should you want that. Can't hurt to ask.
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    Sorry bout the origin of the being wrong... thanks
  • pompoms40
    pompoms40 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wanted PHO today too.I wonder what the carbs would be without noodles.Anyone want to guess.I did not think to ask without noodles.I would use napa cabbage I like it in broth.I know whats for dinner this weekend.:0)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I had some of those shiritaki noodles in hand tonight at the store and finally decided no. I've read that they smell pretty bad and need to be rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and then rinsed again. Also read they're better if you dry fry after rinsing. Dunno though. Never tried them.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    When DH and I went to a Vietnamese restaurant recently, I just asked for extra veggies instead of noodles in my pho. It was delish!
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Now I want Pho
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Now I want Pho

Me too. Guess that's what I'm having for dinner tomorrow.

I always just ask for double meat, no noodles, and maybe extra bean sprouts if I feel like it.

Some places also have fried chicken wings available.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I had some of those shiritaki noodles in hand tonight at the store and finally decided no. I've read that they smell pretty bad and need to be rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and then rinsed again. Also read they're better if you dry fry after rinsing. Dunno though. Never tried them.

I'd go for it, they are really quite good, just a bit chewier than the usual rice noodle (don't get the fettuccini get the 'angel hair' sort). YES they do need to be rinsed, but it is no big deal, I throw mine into a big sieve and run hot water through them while massaging them apart to rinse properly and so they don't stay in a clump. They don't stick together once you rinse them. The soaking liquid they come in kinda smells like old fish, but you drain that down the sink and instantly it's gone. Once they are rinsed there is no funny aftertaste either. Technically they don't need a dry fry, but if they aren't drained well, they can soggy out your sauce a bit. I almost never dry fry mine and they are fine, I just give the sieve a few big vertical shakes to get the extra water out and let them sit over the sink in the sieve while I am making whatever sauce/meat/veg to go on top.

They were my lifesaver gluten free noodles even before I was low carb.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

I'd go for it, they are really quite good, just a bit chewier than the usual rice noodle (don't get the fettuccini get the 'angel hair' sort). YES they do need to be rinsed, but it is no big deal, I throw mine into a big sieve and run hot water through them while massaging them apart to rinse properly and so they don't stay in a clump. They don't stick together once you rinse them. The soaking liquid they come in kinda smells like old fish, but you drain that down the sink and instantly it's gone. Once they are rinsed there is no funny aftertaste either. Technically they don't need a dry fry, but if they aren't drained well, they can soggy out your sauce a bit. I almost never dry fry mine and they are fine, I just give the sieve a few big vertical shakes to get the extra water out and let them sit over the sink in the sieve while I am making whatever sauce/meat/veg to go on top.

They were my lifesaver gluten free noodles even before I was low carb.

Thank you...I have some in my fridge I want to try but didn't know about rinsing and drying them. I will try them this weekend!
  • kpk54
    Options
    @canadjineh . Cool. The type I had in hand was the angel hair. I'll give them a try. I try very hard to not let my food choices influence our evening meals. After seeing my husband's enthusiasm one evening because I was making alfredo, I realized I need to pay more attention. He had the same degree of enthusiasm one evening when he saw the wok on the stove. :) Besides, spaghetti squash and/or zoodles are ok but perhaps shirataki will become a new option for Italian or Asian.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 I have used the angel hair shiritaki for a low carb carbonara. It was really delicious!
  • kpk54
    Options
    @kpk54 I have used the angel hair shiritaki for a low carb carbonara. It was really delicious!

Thanks!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Thx for the tip!

PS. Ketogasm? Is this mainly an exercise site?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    .....Thai and Vietnamese....now I need to get cooking.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I bought some cause they looked good but then read they smell and never cooked them
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I bought some, opened the pack and gagged. I am spoiled with fish, so any bad fishy smells does me in. I tried washing the slimy "noodles" but could just not take the smell, so they went in the bin. Shame as I love noodles and pasta.