Sugar intake...

Options

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I found that hard sausages tend to be a lot better about that. Also, we have local Mennonites who make some badass venison sausage if you bring them the meat. I've seen their spicing selection, and there's not a bit of sugar involved.

I am so jealous @Gallowmere1984!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I have readers in my purse, on my desk, in my car....yeah....gettin' old! I told Rowdy the other day I needed one of those glasses chains around my neck because I need them so much now.

You may have considered/tried already...mono vision contacts. OMGosh, I love them. Loved them from day 1. I started wearing them when my arms became too short in my 40s. But yep. We had store bought readers everywhere.

I have monovisions too, my optometrist keeps trying to push me toward progressives when I get new glasses, NO WAY! I just read under my glasses when I wear them (overnight patrols), and one contact lens is for close up, one for distance when I wear lenses. NO problem, my brain just sort of filters out the message from the unfocused eye, and carries on. Doesn't affect depth perception either.
  • hmcarlt
    hmcarlt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's higher than my total carbs and at least half many others total goal. That doesn't mean it's too much for you though.
    Are you eating any low fat dairy? They like to add sugar when they reduce fat...
    What's your total carb goal? What are the foods you're getting the sugar from?

Most of the sugar comes from fully fat Greek yogurt, full fat cream cheese, coffee creamer is the biggest culprit but can seem to quit it. My net carbs are usually around 20g.
  • hmcarlt
    hmcarlt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    The added sugar thing is a real eye-opener. I used to like the Lawry's seasoned salt but then I read the ingredients and the second ingredient in the list is SUGAR - in seasoned salt?!?!?

Sausage was another eye-opener. Most of the mainstream ones have sugar as well. The good news is that there are several local brands that the Kroger near me carries that have zero carbs and no added sugars!

Sausage has gotten me on more than one occasion. This seems to be a trial and error type of diet to really dial in the macros and figure out what works best.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    hmcarlt wrote: »
    That's higher than my total carbs and at least half many others total goal. That doesn't mean it's too much for you though.
    Are you eating any low fat dairy? They like to add sugar when they reduce fat...

Most of the sugar comes from fully fat Greek yogurt, full fat cream cheese, coffee creamer is the biggest culprit but can seem to quit it. My net carbs are usually around 20g.

Have you tried using half n half or heavy whipping cream with a little stevia or erythritol? Would be a better choice than coffee creamer.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Have you tried using half n half or heavy whipping cream with a little stevia or erythritol? Would be a better choice than coffee creamer.

I also like premixing certain caseins with water for use as a creamer. With the small amount needed, it ends up being like 0.14g sugar per cup. Yes, I broke it down all the way from the 100g serving nutritional information.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I also like premixing certain caseins with water for use as a creamer. With the small amount needed, it ends up being like 0.14g sugar per cup. Yes, I broke it down all the way from the 100g serving nutritional information.

Always good to see I'm not the only nerd in this group.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I have readers in my purse, on my desk, in my car....yeah....gettin' old! I told Rowdy the other day I needed one of those glasses chains around my neck because I need them so much now.

You may have considered/tried already...mono vision contacts. OMGosh, I love them. Loved them from day 1. I started wearing them when my arms became too short in my 40s. But yep. We had store bought readers everywhere.

I have monovisions too, my optometrist keeps trying to push me toward progressives when I get new glasses, NO WAY! I just read under my glasses when I wear them (overnight patrols), and one contact lens is for close up, one for distance when I wear lenses. NO problem, my brain just sort of filters out the message from the unfocused eye, and carries on. Doesn't affect depth perception either.

I currently wear a 4.0 in my left eye for reading and 2.0 in my right eye for distance. It really is amazing how the brain adapts. I was expecting an adjustment period when I 1st got them but, no.

I also have progressive lenses. Because of my involuntary head movements and/or rigidity (locking) due to dystonia, wearing my glasses can be a real aggravation. Dizzy...
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    My daily "goal" is 10g but I do my best not to hit it. Most things I have are unsweetened, but peanut butter, veggies and such have low amounts of naturally occurring sugar.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I found that hard sausages tend to be a lot better about that. Also, we have local Mennonites who make some badass venison sausage if you bring them the meat. I've seen their spicing selection, and there's not a bit of sugar involved.

I don't know if our sausage is badass or not, but we process our own venison and as soon as it cools a bit more we are slaughtering our pig and processing it ourselves. I cannot wait!
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it is sneaky and it all depends on your tolerance. I just checked my daily average from last week and I am at 2g/day.

Sugar is in so many things and has so many different names...it is really hard but definitely read those ingredients. Things like sausage have caught me up...and if you use no calorie sweeteners, even some of those have actual sugar in them!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

I don't know if our sausage is badass or not, but we process our own venison and as soon as it cools a bit more we are slaughtering our pig and processing it ourselves. I cannot wait!

I feel like I need to throw money at you to get my hands on some of this and try it once my current RFL run is over. :D
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 I could start a LCHF sausage processing business. I'm entrepreneurial... :D
  • HawkPNP
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 I could start a LCHF sausage processing business. I'm entrepreneurial... :D

Do it........:) Totally necessary for all of us!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Not even joking: if you guys make good sausage that's practically sugar free, I am *kitten* in. It's hard to find here outside of hunting season, because venison can't be sold commercially, and most of the beef and pork sausages suck here.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I'm in, also. I love sausage and see no reason why so many put sugar in it.
  • MindfulMother
    MindfulMother Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have no added sugar and limit my tomatoes, onions,etc. to less than 5g a day.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @RowdysLady I found that the cheapest tomato paste (39 cents a can) has ONLY tomatoes! YAY for being Ms. Cheap!
    ETA: I mix it with olive oil, onion salt and oregano for my Fathead pizza sauce.
  • HawkPNP
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    @RowdysLady I found that the cheapest tomato paste (39 cents a can) has ONLY tomatoes! YAY for being Ms. Cheap!
    ETA: I mix it with olive oil, onion salt and oregano for my Fathead pizza sauce.

Oh yum....I'm going to have to look...
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    Guess I'm going to have to tell Rowdy to hunt more often...you know that goes against every single fiber in my being and hurts my soul, right? ;)

I HATE hunting season because he's gone so much. I LOVE hunting season because it makes him so happy to be in the woods and it's the ONLY thing he does just for himself.

So we have honestly been trying to figure out a way to make our land here work for us and to allow Rowdy to retire from his miserable job. I've been thinking goats and cattle. Maybe I need to go hog farm (that will piss off the neighbor..mwhahahaha) and sell sausage. I wonder if I can use my consulting business license and branch out?! :smile: