Low carb bread/tortilla recipes?

Options
coloradoartstudio
coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
So this morning I was trying to decide what to make for lunch - we're running low on options and I need to go shopping, but had a craving for something like a flat bread to put my tuna salad on. This is the first real craving I've experienced since the beginning of Oct.

I search Pinterest, and I find this recipe for easy GF "Paleo Naan" http://myheartbeets.com/paleo-naan-indian-bread/

Now I know paleo isn't necessarily low carb, but I decided to try it. Total fail the first attempt - so I added an egg to the recipe. Better, but only slightly.

I input the recipe into MFP, and I am shocked that for 1 serving (basically 1/2 the recipe because it made about 6 small rounds) is 498 calories and 34 net carbs. :s Needless to say my carb allowance is shot for the day. They sort of tasted like pancakes - not a bad thing, but sigh...and look nothing like the recipe photo.

Anyone have any good recipes LC "bread/wrap/tortilla" type recipes to try that also taste good?

ishnxdmbvu4w.jpg
fail.jpg 128.7K

Replies

• pompoms40
    pompoms40 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried these but looks easy enough.Michelle Rock 1 Minute Microwave Tortilla / Wrap | KETO | Low Carb you tube .Good luck
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Tapioca is pretty high carb. Quite a few paleo accepted items aren't ok for low carb - many paleo folk use fruits and 'natural' sugars to quite a high degree, and several flour subs we can't use.

34 carbs for the day isn't too bad though, you are unlikely to have been affected by this so don't worry!

I don't know much about bread recipes as I don't make them myself but one day I'll get around to trying the 'Keto buns' everyone seems to like - I think they're from the diet doctor site.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The best keto bread replacement I ever tried was "soul bread":

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/

But, I liked it a little toooo much, so I'd eat too much. And it was a lot of work, but it was excellent as toast!

For tortillas, I skip them altogether. If I am having mexican, I usually have it with an avocado, maybe some sour cream, and some mexican coleslaw (because I am obsessed with cilantro):

http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-coleslaw-484025

I have tried the whole "make taco shells out of shredded cheese" thing and it just wasn't for me. Not crispy enough :)

Also, for tuna salad, you might try something I bought today called "flackers." (flax seed crackers) They are crispy cracker like things. I kind of give them an "eh", but if you are really missing crunch, they might be for you. Or maybe pork rinds - they could work too.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    pompoms40 wrote: »
    I haven't tried these but looks easy enough.Michelle Rock 1 Minute Microwave Tortilla / Wrap | KETO | Low Carb you tube .Good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IUm7GXNQK8

I'm confused as to whether she made 1 or 2 out of those ingredients.
    If it makes 2 I might try it sometime. 1 for 238 calories is a bit too expensive for me except for FATurdays.
  • coloradoartstudio
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! My husband's side of the family is Latino and I've grown to love the food...it's hard to forgo the tortillas and I love tacos.

It's okay at home because my husband and I are both following LC right now - the challenge is family get togethers. That said, so many in his extended family have diabetes and heart disease because of diet.

So, my net carbs for yesterday were 46 - about 16 higher than normal, but I'm not going to beat myself up. @moonlights I was very careful after lunch, but I'll look for the keto bun recipe.

The "soul bread" looks promising for special occasions :-) @redimock I have those melted cheese tortillas bookmarked, lol.

As does the 1 Min. microwave tortilla/wrap - @pompoms40 @baconslave - whoa it's only one serving and I would definitely need to been craving like crazy!

I think SW is near....
  • MindfulMother
    MindfulMother Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The best " bread" recipe I have found is the fat head pizza crust.You can cut in circles and make chalupas, hamburger buns, taco shells, etc.. Before the "bread" is done cooking take out and roll over the side of a coffee mug (sprayed with a little coconut oil) to get taco shape. You then put it back in the oven to finish then let cool on the mug. I tried this yesterday as a chalupa and it was wonderful!!!!
  • coloradoartstudio
    Options
    The best " bread" recipe I have found is the fat head pizza crust.You can cut in circles and make chalupas, hamburger buns, taco shells, etc.. Before the "bread" is done cooking take out and roll over the side of a coffee mug (sprayed with a little coconut oil) to get taco shape. You then put it back in the oven to finish then let cool on the mug. I tried this yesterday as a chalupa and it was wonderful!!!!

That recipe is on my list to try - I'm going shopping this evening (woohoo, do I know how to party on a friday??) and am going to pick up the ingredients. - great idea!!

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @coloradoartstudio Here's a site with low carb friendly, Non-GMO certified, healthy foldable tortillas with pork lard in them. This is a small company owned by a Mexican-American family who were looking to help solve their own autoimmune health issues. sietefoods.com/pages/story
    Their almond flour tortillas have 7g fat and 2g total carbs and 1g fibre.
    They ship only in the US on specific days (2 day shipping in recycleable foam containers only in 6 packs of 8 tortillas each. They must be kept frozen or refrigerated as there are no preservatives.
    Not cheap....$55.00 for 48 tortillas but it would be lovely to have the real, foldable thing!
    I can't get them, I'm in Canada, but I found the information on the Thyroid Connection Summit that I have been listening to this week. I wish I could try them. :( I think you may be able to get them at Whole Foods too.

16b5c97218d8d6d629e373e9ecd7fe4a.jpg

• coloradoartstudio
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @canadjineh OMG - these look pretty amazing! $55 is a lot, but considering the time savings, they would be worth it. At most we might each eat 2 apiece - hubby might have 3, but these would last us almost 12 meals.

Thanks!!

PS - I just checked store locator and our local Whole Foods carries them. I'm going to try them.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Let the rest of us know how they are, @coloradoartstudio - if they are avail. at Whole Foods it might be worth a try for a single 8 pack to see if it is something tasty & useful. There may be a saving with shipping from the company as opposed to Whole Foods as a middleman once we know if they are really all that!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm going to visit family in Ohio next weekend. I think I'm going to have to take a detour to their nearest Whole Foods! :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I find that storebought low-carb wraps are as floppy as hell and thin. But if you toast them for a minute, they firm up a little. Toast them more and you have a crust/flatbread of can cut them up to make tortilla chips. Just my experience.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I like romaine lettuce leaves as taco holders......and the price is right. Also works with any sandwich filling. i love slices of cucumber for my tuna salad, like little crackers.

Every now and then I make an almond meal crepe which is mostly egg. Just beat some eggs and add almond meal to thicken it up. If it's too thick, splash a little HWC in the mix. Fry on each side and use for anything. I add seasonings apprpriate to what I am making, eg, onion or garlic or stevia and cinnamon....hhmmm, must make cheese blintzes soon....

I made a bacon cake the other night that could have easily held other fillings after it came out of the frying pan. Fry bacon in the pan, and keep all the drippings. Add a bit of the crepe mixture and let it cook , flip and cook the other side.

I like to make tortillas out of zucchini or cauliflower too. Squeeze the excess water out of the veggies, and mix with beaten egg, seasonings, grated cheese and a bit of almond or flax meal to give it substance. Spread on parchment on a cookie sheet and bake. Yummy as a wrap.

I am in Canada and don't have access to some of those fancy US products, but also have to watch my budget and like to eat homemade food.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't do recipes...I just use google an idea, then wing it with everything, or cook by feel.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    These are pretty good. The site also has other good faux carb recipes.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-tortillas

• canadjineh
    Options
    I dunno, silverfiend.... ingredients in those Mission tortillas are modified food starch (GMO corn), whole wheat flour, extra gluten, hydrogenated GMO soybean oil, and MORE Gluten and to bring down the carb count via more fibre, powdered cellulose (which is wood pulp).
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I dunno, silverfiend.... ingredients in those Mission tortillas are modified food starch (GMO corn), whole wheat flour, extra gluten, hydrogenated GMO soybean oil, and MORE Gluten and to bring down the carb count via more fibre, powdered cellulose (which is wood pulp).

still taste better than any homemade I have attempted, plus they are easy. I don't give a dam about gluten or GMO. This is a temporary measure to reduce body fat. I can worry about how "clean" my food is when I reach maintenance.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

still taste better than any homemade I have attempted, plus they are easy. I don't give a dam about gluten or GMO. This is a temporary measure to reduce body fat. I can worry about how "clean" my food is when I reach maintenance.

Tapeworms will also work for that purpose.
  • coloradoartstudio
    edited October 2016
    Options

Unfortunately, I have to worry about gluten because I have celiac disease - but these might work for someone else. I do love convenience. :)
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    These are pretty good. The site also has other good faux carb recipes.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-tortillas
    These look pretty good - I think I have to invest in some psyllium husk powder at some point.
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Tapeworms will also work for that purpose.

hahaha - on a related note, my stepmother had a nerve knicked when she had some dental work done a few years ago that knocked out her tastebuds for almost 6 months. She hated eating because without taste the texture was gross to her and ended up losing 35 pounds. That would work for me too. :D