What a difference a couple of years makes...

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
This is me with one of my BFFs, Dale. (We are both named Dale :) ) The second one was taken over the weekend.
bxoo4axmt2ss.jpg
DnD.JPG 32.4K

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Looking healthy and happy! B)
  • garber6th
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else, but now, I really do look back at old pictures and see a totally different person, like I can't connect with the "old" me. I guess that's a good thing?
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I don't know about everyone else, but now, I really do look back at old pictures and see a totally different person, like I can't connect with the "old" me. I guess that's a good thing?

I'm with you. I have a hard time reconciling myself with my new body too though!
  • garber6th
    Options

I'm with you. I have a hard time reconciling myself with my new body too though!

Yep. It's a strange transition but I feel more "me" in my new body and with my new lifestyle.

BTW you look AMAZING!!!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    *borked post*
  • garber6th
    edited November 2016
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Recycled pic, but yeah. I've got family members who probably couldn't pick me out in a crowd.QkCZKtp.jpg

Wow. You look awesome!!!
  • garber6th
    Options
    [ I've got family members who probably couldn't pick me out in a crowd.]

I have walked up to people who totally know me and I would get some seriously puzzled looks, and a couple of dropped jaws lol.

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Going back home to NY for a few days next week and no family knows about my surgery and I plan to keep it that way..looking forward to seeing people's expressions - my friends know so will be interesting to see them and their reactions as well
  • jcavanna2
    Options
  • garber6th
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    First pic is from 2 years ago and the second is from about 2 mos ago. Not sure how much you can tell but almost 70 lbs gone!
    chz7zgwoxwxa.jpg
    one

Awesome!!! You look great!
  • anbrdr
    Options
    you can tell, a bunch!!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Thank you!!! :) Same thing goes for everyone..wish I would have done this sooner!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Recycled pic, but yeah. I've got family members who probably couldn't pick me out in a crowd.QkCZKtp.jpg

I have mixed feelings toward you. On one hand, I'm so impressed by your amazing transformation. On the other hand, I'm seriously annoyed that you only weigh 10 pounds more than I do! Please tell me you're like 4' 9"...lol.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    [ I've got family members who probably couldn't pick me out in a crowd.]

I have walked up to people who totally know me and I would get some seriously puzzled looks, and a couple of dropped jaws lol.

I've had the same. I work remotely so I go months without seeing some co-workers. There are some who, even though they know I've lost weight, only "remember" the fat me and am surprised every time they see me.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

Yep. It's a strange transition but I feel more "me" in my new body and with my new lifestyle.

BTW you look AMAZING!!!

Aw, you're so sweet! It is an especially flattering picture...it is a good angle for my butt! I, too, have the body that I'm supposed to have...strong, fit, energetic, less pain than I have had in years. Strange though that I am much more critical of it now...
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Please tell me you're like 4' 9"...lol.

Sorry, not quite... 5'8".. You've probably got way more muscle mass than I do, since I don't go to the gym. Right now I'm 90% cardio. Today I PRed my 40 minute run distance by almost a mile!

• Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Please tell me you're like 4' 9"...lol.

Sorry, not quite... 5'8".. You've probably got way more muscle mass than I do, since I don't go to the gym. Right now I'm 90% cardio. Today I PRed my 40 minute run distance by almost a mile!

That is a great improvement on the run! I find that I'll get stuck somewhere for a while and then just break through. I was getting frustrated at not getting below 95 minutes...and then I managed a 92 then an 89! Now my 10 mile run is consistently below 94 minutes. I'm determined to balance things out a little better. I did 190 miles in 4 weeks; it is hard on my body and I don't want to lose the strength that I've gained.

You may have a point. The thunder contained within my thighs is not insignificant....lol. I've been pretty lucky in that I've managed to maintain a nice amount of muscle mass; I wouldn't mind a little wastage to be honest.

I'm more muscular looking than I personally prefer but I'll take it over my former self.

If you want to incorporate some weight training at home, Groupon has a set of kettle bells right now for $40; 5, 10, 15 pound. They are a decent set for a beginner. I do Jillian Michaels Shred It with Weights but there are a ton of resources out there! I've moved up to a 24 pound bell for some moves but I still need the lighter weights for others.

Many exercises can be done with dumbbells but I feel like I could grip the kettle bells better and got a better workout when I switched over.