My New MD

Options
RowdysLady
RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
I really like him. I did a lot of research into finding someone I thought I would like. I must have been nervous about discussing LCHF with him as my BP was 122/92 and came down a bit to 120/88. That diastolic makes me a little itchy. I'd like to see it lower but he wasn't overly concerned. He expressed interest in my WOE and suggested that my current plan my not be great long term though is fine for now to get the extra weight off. I could consider going Paleo or Mediterranean which he feels are more sustainable long term. I honestly don't know much about either so I'll dig around a bit. He also told me to get off my *kitten* and walk every day for at least 30 minutes. Everyone here knows I know that. Sigh.... I will go back Monday for the battery of blood tests et. al.

What did I like best? He was wearing a polo, jeans that were well worn in and cowboy boots. He was just a real guy who clearly wanted to just take care of his patients. Even when I told him I was happy I searched around before choosing him and that I drove nearly an hour to get to him he didn't implore me to write a great review about him. He simply said "this is just me, you won't find me dressing like others or acting any way other than who I am." Yeah...I like him.

I made sure he knew that my labs have always been good even when I was at my heaviest so we shall see!

ETA: I just did a quick look at Paleo and Mediterranean. I'm not sure I see how Mediterranean translates but I can see how Paleo would. The difference with Paleo and what I'm doing now seems to be the butter and lean vs fatty meat. But with the Mediterranean it seems it offers up lots of fruits and veggies...and grains. It is nearly the opposite of what I'm doing now.

I will keep on keeping on for now, see what my blood work looks like and continue to research. @PaleoInScotland (or anyone else familiar with either) - any advice or thoughts?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That's such great news. I'm glad you searched around, and that your search seems to have panned out. I swear that a great physician is worth his/her weight in gold - and then some!

Good luck on the bloodwork...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Been waiting to hear how this went. I feel like I know you at this point. Heck, you are less than an hour and half from me as I believe you said you are in Canton. I'm on the NE side of Dallas in Wylie.

One note on the Mediterranean diet that I read (wish I could remember where) is that outside of the place where it originated, they did not see as good of results as hoped in terms of diseases like CVD, diabetes and obesity. When they looked into it further, that area was very Orthodox meaning nearly everyone there fasted at least once a week. Just goes to show fasting along with the right diet does make a big difference. I would classify Mediterranean as lower carb, but not low carb. It is similar to paleo in that it doesn't have all the real junk that is common in most people's diets - i.e. processed carbs and sugar.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Texans!! I'm in McKinney!! North of Dallas by about an hour. I don't think you would need to transition to anything else. My grandparents have been eating this way for over 10 years now and their doctor says they are healthier than 90% of his patients and they are in their mid 70s now. In my opinion it is good for telling term but it is nice to look into other options as well.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Howdy @kdz0444! My wife is actually in McKinney right now taking care of her dad. It's only about 25-30 minutes from me.

I would agree about not changing unless you want to change. IF I were to change at any point, paleo or Mediterranean would be the highest carb option I would consider. I don't foresee that happening if for no other reason than this is how I would have eaten my whole life had it not been drilled into my head that it was unhealthy all those years/decades. Mmmmm.....bacon!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Glad you like him and glad he told you to get a little exercise. Just might be what you need to help that distolic. Yes?
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Nice that you found a great doctor! As for sustainability, maybe he holds that opinion because of the gazillion carbage things that are offered up as food. Just my opinion, but this WOE is just as sustainable as Paleo, in that we are choosing consciously what to put in our bodies.
    ETA: they thought my BP was a bit high, but it's really "white coat syndrome"! lol although your new MD didn't have his on.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I found an awesome doctor here in Austin, but I got a letter today that he has decided to retire, and I have to find a new one... sucks, but I'll just deal with it and move on..
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    So glad you found a good doctor, they are like gold dust these days, to find someone willing to listen to you and support you really does make a difference. Keep hold of him.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Been waiting to hear how this went. I feel like I know you at this point. Heck, you are less than an hour and half from me as I believe you said you are in Canton. I'm on the NE side of Dallas in Wylie.

One note on the Mediterranean diet that I read (wish I could remember where) is that outside of the place where it originated, they did not see as good of results as hoped in terms of diseases like CVD, diabetes and obesity. When they looked into it further, that area was very Orthodox meaning nearly everyone there fasted at least once a week. Just goes to show fasting along with the right diet does make a big difference. I would classify Mediterranean as lower carb, but not low carb. It is similar to paleo in that it doesn't have all the real junk that is common in most people's diets - i.e. processed carbs and sugar.

I'm with you - the bit I read on Mediterranean doesn't really seem viable for my goals. I don't have any plans to change at this time. I can't say what may happen when I decide I need to go to maintenance or when I decide to incorporate some of these other pieces of the puzzle to improve my overall health. But no matter what I do, it won't be Mediterranean. And yep, we are close!

@kdz0444 I didn't realize you were so close! Anna and I go to Madness Games and Comics in Plano sometimes so we get up that way on occasion.
  • kdz0444
    Options
    @RowdysLady oh wow I used to live in Plano just a couple streets away from there lol small world!!!
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    yep! Sure is a small world. I love hearing from people close by. Makes me feel...less alone in this WOE.
  • kdz0444
    Options
    I hear you! It's nice to know people nearby are doing it too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I lived in Irving, then Hurst, and worked in Plano in the 2000's for a few years. I grew up in the DFW area. I've been Oklahoma the last decade, but Irving, Texas is my "hometown."
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I drive thru Irving 5 days a week to and from work... it really is a small world!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I work in Plano. I have lived in many places (dad was in the army) but about 27 of my 46 years I have lived in Texas with 10 in Denton and now 4 1/2 in Wylie. Texas is home.

@KnitOrMiss, I'll save my Oklahoma jokes since you are from here. ;)
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    I've lived all over too and I love Texas the most! I plan to die in my land in East Texas. @KnitOrMiss I used to drive to OK for work all the time.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Arlington since 1969 - watched the metroplex grow and expand for a long time (I was not born here, but I have lived most of my life here). My family is from Kansas so I have spent a lot of time travelling thru Oklahoma.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I was born in Kansas, moved to Texas between Kindergarten and First Grade, graduated HS, got married, had my kiddo and all that in Texas, and ended up moving to Oklahoma due to financial kerfuffles. I would move back to Texas if I could, as most of my family is still there. My mom bought her mother's house (in Kansas) when Grandma died a few years back, but my Dad, Sis, and two Bros all live in the DFW area...

P.S. I'm a Texas fan through and through, so I've probably TOLD all the OK jokes myself, @cstehansen... My fiance attended A&M among other institutions, and he's often worn the "kiss my horns or kiss my @$$" shirt underneath his security shirt when working security for the OU games or "Campus Corner" area right south of campus. LOL
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Crazy the commonalities. Both of my parents are from Kansas (happily in Texas now) and I was born there (although I moved within 2 weeks of birth). I still have a lot of extended family in the Topeka and Kansas City Kansas areas, but both brothers, my parents and my in-laws are all in Texas. Only my sister is missing because she married a Marine and is not in Annapolis.

Those who have never lived here think of Texas as part of the south, which technically it is, but having lived in Alabama, Louisiana and Tennessee, I can tell you it is quite different than "the south." It really isn't like anywhere else. And Lord willing, this is where I will live out my days.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My Sis is Army, and is about to relocate as she goes through a promotion cycle, well, conversion, enlisted to officer program. :)

(P.S. I almost went to Annapolis myself, Navy, though...lol)