My New MD

Options
2»

Replies

• kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I was born in Houston, went to camp in Hunt, had a farm in Brenham, attended A&M and have relatives all up 59 and down 35. Gig 'em Aggies!

ETA: I live in Tennessee now, but have always considered myself a Texan.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to see this Texas-loving thread, because I'm still trying to adjust and decide if I can live out my life here. I was born in Canada and raised in New York (Rockland County until age 9, then the Fingerlakes region in Central NY until 21, when I married a northern NYer--my oldest daughter still lives up there). I moved from there to north Louisiana for graduate school in 2005 and then moved to the Houston area (where my husband's family are) in 2013 after we started having kids and realized how important it was to us to be near family. Last year we moved outside Houston to Katy, which is much more my speed, having lived most of my life in very small towns, but I'm still not sure I love it. My family are all in New York and New England (Massachusetts and New Hampshire, mostly), except the Puerto Rican ones who moved back there. Anyway, it's nice to see so many transplants love it in Texas. Keep the kudos coming. Now if I could find a decent doctor who doesn't freak out about my fat intake....
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Texas @DianaElena76! I have one brother near Houston in Alvin (out in the boonies). The other is closer to me, but also out in the boonies. i definitely understand the draw to be near family once you start having kids. One of the changes in our society as a whole over the last couple of decades that I believe has been negative is that families get spread all over the place and lose those relationships with extended family. Social media can help, but it isn't quite the same.

I am somewhat familiar with the Fingerlakes region as I have spent a lot of time in Cortland, NY for work over the last several years. It's kind of nice in the summer, but I hate when I have to go up there in January!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @DianaElena76 I lived in NH for 15 years - near Manchester so I know that area well. I was born in Louisiana but only lived there a minute. Houston is a tough area since it's so freaking humid there and the traffic...well don't get me started. I used to drive there about every other week or so for work. I'd not want to be in the midst of downtown Houston often. But out on the edges is really beautiful and the drive around there is nice. Katy is a beautiful area. I do love it here in Texas and wouldn't want to live anywhere else!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Never really been to Texas.... just through DFW on a flight to Costa Rica one year. But will be in Houston for 3 days on either side of a Jamaica vaycay very beginning of Dec and 20-23rd. We are going to take a tour of the Space Centre. Looking forward to that... and hopefully some great live music - keeping track of the schedule at House of Blues since we won't be getting to Austin. Lots of Texans on these MFP boards.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I flew to Dallas back in the 80's to see a Steelers game. We lost but it was still a win. Got to see Tony Dorsett get his 10,000 yard run. EVERYONE was on their feet. He played for Dallas but is from Pittsburgh (Aliquippa) so yep. We were all happy.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There are loads of museums worth visiting in Houston, not just the Space Center.

https://www.visithoustontexas.com/things-to-do/attractions/free-things-to-do/
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I live in Australia lol
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    There are loads of museums worth visiting in Houston, not just the Space Center.

https://www.visithoustontexas.com/things-to-do/attractions/free-things-to-do/

That's a great website. It's where I got some ideas from. We don't have a lot of time on either end but may add some other spots when we get there. We enjoyed the Pensacola space/flight museum when we were in FL so we figured the Houston one should be good too.