I HATE maltitol!

Options
silverfiend
silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
I wish the manufacturers would be forced to put huge stickers on packaging warning that it contains this crap. I decided for a small indulgence of sugar free cookies today. I just looked at calories and net carbs to make sure I could work it into my foods. Stupid me failed to read the ingredients and I have spent all evening cramping, gassy and in the bathroom.

Obviously I realize this is my own fault and not the maker, I just wanted to vent. Now please excuse me while I return to the commode again!

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I agree that it seems to be a sick prank. My dear MIL is a long time T2D, and complains that sugar free chocolate, the - ol filled ones, are so hard to find these days. I wonder why...
  • silverfiend
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    My body doesn't like maltitol AT ALL WHATSOEVER so at this point I absolutely refuse to buy anything that has it listed as an ingredient. I'm a bit anal (okay, I'm a lot anal, lol) so the first thing I do before I purchase a new food product is (1) look over the nutritional data numbers and if THAT passes muster then (2) I look at the ingredient list. If I get through reading the ingredient list and don't see anything I object to, it goes into the cart. I would say that probably 80-90% of the items I pick up don't make it past number (1) above and even less make it past number (2) above. This is such an ingrained habit for me now that I don't even have to think about it. Like Nike says, just do it! :)

Normally, I do the same thing. I ignore sugar free chocolate because they always use maltitol. I don't know why I didn't look at the ingredients.

I'll chalk this up like binge drinking. I almost never do it and the time it happens reminds me why I almost never do it, LOL.

I should just follow GOATs concept and stop eating sweets.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I remember my experiences with maltitol vividly. When I went Atkins back in like 2002 or so (I don't remember exactly when), I never addressed my sweets/junk food addictions. My favorite indulgence was the Atkins Chocolate Covered Almonds. I had nearly a full pack a day, and my digestive system blew up!!! I had my gallbladder out in December 2000, and I discovered a similar sensitivity to soy crisps and various soy additives... I just thought I was dying. Took me FOREVER to tie it to the sweeteners. I liken my experience to the descriptions under "Amazon sugar-free gummy bears feedback"...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hey, 'anal' counts when you are talking maltitol, @ladipoet, lol.

Oh, is that how you take it!?!

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I second this one! My SO laughs when he sees my huge stash of extra soft, soothing toilet paper. Malitol and gluten... recipe for wmd!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Apparently haribo sugar free gummy bears have malitol syrup in them...check out the amazon reviews. You should get a great ab workout while reading.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @kimo159 - that's why I was referring to above... That first review was more or less me, minus some details.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    As far as sugar alcohols go, if it's not Erythritol or Xylitol, I tend to avoid it.

Hell, I wish Wrigley's would get off of their *kitten* and make gums with all Erythritol, as they got the patent for doing so back in the 90s, and have done fuckall with it. There isn't a single primarily Eryth gum on the market, and never has been.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Sorbitol (pron.: "sore butt, ow") has tendencies that are not dissimilar, and Xylitol can also lead to a total clean-out, and soon.

But nothing outside the wonderful world of colonoscopy prep can compare with Olestra. Pure purgatory.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I recall having some Russell Stover candy given to me about a year ago. I am not sure of the ingredients, but it made me a very unhappy person. My digestive system was even unhappier than me. I only ate two pieces. But never again.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use some xylitol for dental health; I tend to take between 8-12 grams in my morning coffee(s) and some 1g mints across the day. Don't experience any gastro side effects, but maybe it's different for people baking with the stuff.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Ahh! Sorry I didn't see that sentence. My condolences to you...

So far I haven't had any issues to any artificial sweeteners. I've had some atkins products with no issues (I know most of them are sweetened with malitol). Though, I try to avoid store bought crap and try to make recipes at home instead, with erythritol.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

:D
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Oh, is that how you take it!?!

Still LOL'ing. You guys crack me up!
    Sorbitol (pron.: "sore butt, ow")

I see you are in fine form today as usual @RalfLott!! ;)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Small miracle, I've been sitting on it for 2 days now. Adios, Russell Stover!
  • silverfiend
    Options
    Small miracle, I've been sitting on it for 2 days now. Adios, Russell Stover!

touche. Or should that be "tushy" for this thread?
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ah, malitol. I remember once eating two packages of Atkins chocolate candies (the M&M knockoffs) right before going out to dinner at Capitol Grill with my parents and my godfather. That was the most painful evening of my life. Lol.