Stress eating

Options
jcavanna2
jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
Do any of you still find yourself stress eating? I have had a stressful week or two and today is very stressful. I worked out hard with my trainer today, and went to Starbucks for coffee.

While I was on line the scones were calling my name ( I'm human even after surgery..lol) but I went for a decaf coffee and 2 string cheese sticks. The protein definitely filled me and proud that I didn't get a skinny cinnamon dolce latte and a scone..calorie bombs. I had a gain last week of 1.6 (could be biological reasons...) and I am determined to get that 1.6 off and then some. I am 1.7 lbs away from hitting the 70 lb mark, and next week we are driving home to NY so I know I will be indulging some while I am there.

That said...do any of you guys stress or emotional eat still and if so, what do you indulge in? Could be a guilty or not so guilty pleasure. I bought the black bean version of snap pea crisps so I need to portion control those out so I can bring them to work :)

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I still do on occasion, but I mostly find myself wandering around my kitchen in frustration, because "I can't eat anything". I am/was a binge eater pre-surgery, but eating is only satisfactory as a stress reliever if I can eat ridiculous quantities (like a large pizza and and an order of breadsticks in a sitting). I started exercising twice a day and having dessert or a snack in the evening before bed. This seems to have helped the urge to binge quite a bit.

Some snacks that I have on hand at all times are string cheese, and some packs of dry roasted edamame. http://www.seapointfarms.com/dry-roasted-edamame.html We bought some boxes of it on Amazon with 12 2-oz packs in each box. Fiber, protein, salt, and crunch so it's pretty satisfying. I try to keep sugar-free pudding on-hand as well in case I "need" something sweet.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I have to check out the edamame - string cheese or Colby jack squares we usually have on hand.

I also like Somersaults - cinnamon is my favorite. I look at this as that there isn't anything I can't have but I just can't eat enough. Being from just outside of NYC I am a self proclaimed pizza snob but still have it. I am lucky if I can eat a whole slice now.:.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. My "can't eat anything" frustrations are all about quantity, not food type. I try to to make any food forbidden as that will just cause issues for myself later on. :-)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! My relationship with food is better but I think that I will struggle with it for the rest of my life. I've managed to devise some RNY friendly treats (protein brownies, homemade yogurt with protein powder, cottage cheese mixed with sugar free jello powder) that take the edge off for the most part. I have really overeaten a handful of time and paid for it.

I feel like I have much more of a sweet tooth now than I ever did before. I try to be proactive with feeding the sweet tooth. One of my favorite desserts is 14 grams of Nestle's Dark Chocolate Chips with 14 grams of roasted, salted nuts...salty, sweet, crunchy, and creamy.

My menstrual cycle is all out of whack but I still suffer from cravings and extra hunger around the time that I am/should be ovulating. It scares me that I can eat more volume than I think that I should at certain times. In reality, I find that I am often under-eating but my perception of a normal portion is completely turned around from before.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I have to get a recipe for protein brownies - that sounds awesome! My cycle is also out of whack...I take a pill so I get 4 cycles/year but since surgery it does not arrive when it is supposed to. It's so frustrating. I tend to crave more salty things than I used to but still do crave my sweets
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Protein Brownies
    16 servings

100 grams prunes
    237 grams beans, Eden Organic Black Soybeans (1 can drained and rinsed)
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 each eggs, large, room temperature
    113 grams chocolate, Baker’s 66% Bittersweet Baking Bar (1 bar)
    124 grams protein powder Syntrax Matrix Perfect Chocolate (4 scoops)
    1 packet coffee, Copper Moon Instant Vanilla Probiotic
    6 grams baking powder (a little more than a teaspoon)

Move oven rack to the bottom third of the oven. Preheat to 350 degrees F. Line an 8” x 8” pan with foil and grease lightly.

In a food processor, process prunes until they start to break down. Add the eggs one at a time and blend well until mixture starts to become lighter in color and fluffier (1-2 minutes). Add vanilla and beans and continue to process on low speed while completing the remaining steps.
    Break chocolate bar into pieces and microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Allow to cool slightly while completing the next step.

Combine remaining dry ingredients in a bowl.

While processor is running, add melted chocolate to the wet mixture. Stop processor and scrape down sides. Re-start the processor on a low speed and add the dry ingredients a spoon at a time allowing to combine. Once all dry ingredients are added, scrape sides again, then blend for about 30 more seconds on high.

Spread evenly into pan. Wet or grease spatula slightly to aid in spreading. Cover with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, take off cover foil, and allow to cool before cutting.

Refrigerate in airtight container. Tastiest when they’ve been allowed to rest in the refrigerator several hours or overnight.

Add-Ins (optional)
    56 grams chocolate, Nestle Semi-Sweet Mini Chips
    56 grams walnuts, chopped (best if sprinkled on top)
    Spices add up to 3 tsp of cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, chile powder, etc.

Notes
    Fruit: Other moist, dried fruit can be substituted for the prunes—dates, apricots, etc.—at the same amounts. I find that dates, unless you can find fresh Medjool, make the mixture drier and you may need to soak them in hot water before starting and reduce cooking time. Apricots give a bit more fruitiness.

Coffee: The instant coffee can be skipped but it does help enhance the chocolate flavor.

Beans: Any other canned bean can be substituted. No salt added versions will give the best result. Soybeans have a higher protein to carbohydrate ratio.

Chocolate: Anything less than 65% cacao will negatively impact the intensity of the chocolate. Higher cacao levels may require the addition of some sweetener.

Serving Suggestion: Heat in microwave, with a smear of peanut butter, for 10-20 seconds

Nutritional Breakdown (1/16 of recipe as written; no add-ins)
    Calories: 127
    Fat: 5 grams
    Carbohydrates: 12 grams
    Fiber: 3 grams
    Sugar: 7 grams
    Protein: 9 grams

Nutritional Breakdown (1/9 of recipe as written; no add-ins)
    Calories: 225
    Fat: 9 grams
    Carbohydrates: 21 grams
    Fiber: 5 grams
    Sugar: 12 grams
    Protein: 15 grams
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe - I will have to look into that. I don't have Syntrax or that coffee but maybe I will sub Click Decaf mocha protein powder...maybe I will make it this weekend since I am working from home most of next week and need a healthy option to snack on. Working from home makes it hard for me since I am not on a good schedule and I have everything available to me which makes it hard to resist temptation :)
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I still get the stress eating thing. I TRY HARD to make choices that will stick to my guidelines. Many times I fail, and I'm OK with that. I am still battling the binge/purge curse, but it is so much easier to manage now. I'm learning to not beat myself up, and to get right back on track, or to go work it off in the next day or so. I'm exercising a whole lot, and I think it throws my body off. Some days I can eat almost nothing, and others I am a ravenous beast. The trick is to TRY to have "Best choice" foods close by, and to not bring junk into the house/office.

The mental game is the toughest part of this new way of life. Well, I guess it's always been the toughest part, since that set me on this path.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    OMG. I CAN EAT POPCORN. I know I shouldn't, because I've had issues. But, I've learned I HAVE to buy the 100 calorie micro bags. If I get a big bag with the BEST intentions of portioning, it DOES NOT HAPPEN. Popcorn is a total slider food, I can eat a bag like no one's business. So yeah, I try not to buy bagged popcorn, but recently found Buffalo Blue popcorn...yes, that Buffalo wing and Blue cheese flavored. *drool* I have to stay away from it. I MUST. lol

We are human. We need to eat. We need to learn better control than we've had in the past. We need to NOT punish ourselves, but dust ourselves off and get RIGHT BACK on track. No more, "tomorrow" bull...right now. So, yeah.

Love you, Jen! You rock, and your "I'm HUMAN" talk has really affected me in ways you'll never get. :smiley:
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I love you too Nicole - you have been such a rock and tremendous resource through this process!

We are all human and the funny thing is I have been doing WW on and off since I am 12 but steadily over the past 10 years or so. I always agree in moderation but post surgery I still live that way and started the journey telling my surgeon and nutritionists if surgery meant never eating pizza, ice cream etc again then I wouldn't do it. Thankfully I have eaten all of them since surgery, just much less. I can't tolerate full fat ice cream and even some of the light versions very much anymore so I don't typically go to that anymore.

I do have my days where I give in to the beast but like Tony I try to make it up with watching what I eat with the next meal or working out to compensate. Unfortunately with a crazy picky 10 year old in the house I have to have junk for her - she eats all of 5 things but no fruit, veggies or even meat protein so it's a challenge. I try to make good or better choices for her in terms of what is in the house.

Working from home is always challenging because I get bored or stressed. Decided to work from upstairs so I am not staring at my kitchen and I bring a ton of water with me. Doesn't always work, like this past Monday but sometimes it does.

I have been really good with Halloween candy. Tracked pretty much anything I ate which pales in comparison with years past. I did bring in a snack sized 100 Grand bar and logged it. Hoping to get back on track after a 1.6 gain last week but not sure if this and last week are going to be good due to female reasons - that has been all screwed up since surgery..after being like clockwork

Ramble over :smiley:
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    Thank you for the recipe - I will have to look into that. I don't have Syntrax or that coffee but maybe I will sub Click Decaf mocha protein powder...maybe I will make it this weekend since I am working from home most of next week and need a healthy option to snack on. Working from home makes it hard for me since I am not on a good schedule and I have everything available to me which makes it hard to resist temptation :)

I work from home quite a bit too...but I mostly just drink too much coffee!

I'm sure a number of things can be subbed in but I like to write recipes exactly as I made them so I can track what might go "wrong" if I change something. Most of mine are in an Excel sheet so that I can easily see the impact of switching out ingredients.

Protein powder can be tricky to cook with so err on the side of less baking time to start. They will still look quite wet when you take them out. I don't generally add cooking time but I may leave the foil on for a few extra minutes if I think they need some more time.

Having all ingredients at room temperature helps ensure that you get a nice rise. Spray the inside of your food processor with nonstick spray and it will help prevent the dried fruit from sticking so much.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I will definitely do that. I never baked with protein powder so will be interesting to see how it turns out
  • CynthiaGuinn50
    CynthiaGuinn50 Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't know if I would call it stress eating, but just because it's there, and I still am addicted to food, at 8 yrs out from RNY. If I buy Lance Peanut Butter ( don't care about any other brand) crackers, I can't just eat one pack and be done, I found myself eating 3-4 packs right before bed, don't care to eat them any other time of the day. I live alone, so I don't have to buy anyone else food, and usually don't cook. I was scheduled for total knee replacement surgery on the 14th of this month, but because my RNY surgery didn't cure me of diabetes, still on insulin, my A1C is 9.1 and my surgery is cancelled, so that is a wake up call to me that I've got to start eating clean healthy foods, its all mind hunger, because I still don't feel hungry unless my sugar drops. I've been on long acting morphine for 5 yrs because of back problems, and have been weaning off it since end of Sept, this coming Tuesday is my last dose, so I have been dealing with stress/withdrawals from that, but not food. Carbs are evil and I have to make myself not buy them.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @CynthiaGuinn50 I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It definitely can't be easy.

Instead of buying the Lance peanut butter crackers would you consider PB2 or Better Than Peanut butter and spreading that on a couple of different crackers or a rice cake? If you are into carrots or celery maybe spread them on that? It's an alternative to think about.

Check out the following sites for some good, Bariatric friendly advice, recipes and in some cases, products:

Bariatric Eating
    Bariatric Foodie
    Bariatric Choice (TONS of products)
    The World According to Eggface
    Skinnytaste
    EmilyBites

Good luck and hoping you find an alternative. Also consider an in person support group for Bariatric's or if you have Facebook, one of those support groups. I still go to Weight Watchers on a weekly basis so I can weigh in weekly and get ideas. It also keeps me accountable for what I put in my mouth

Jen :)
  • CynthiaGuinn50
    CynthiaGuinn50 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jen. I've got the PB2 and sometimes use in shakes. I've always done a protein type shake in the morning. I just can't have slider foods whether its pb crackers or saltine etc. I belong to BE group on FB and their protein powder/believe drinks. I know what to do, just need to be accountable, so that's why I've gone back to logging here. I had surgery for my health, both my parents died at 60 & 64 and was told I was headed for an early death too. Now I have 2 precious granddaughters, and need to be around for them.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    Thank you Jen. I've got the PB2 and sometimes use in shakes. I've always done a protein type shake in the morning. I just can't have slider foods whether its pb crackers or saltine etc. I belong to BE group on FB and their protein powder/believe drinks. I know what to do, just need to be accountable, so that's why I've gone back to logging here. I had surgery for my health, both my parents died at 60 & 64 and was told I was headed for an early death too. Now I have 2 precious granddaughters, and need to be around for them.

I tend to binge from time to time too--though a calling it a binge now compared to what I used to do is laughable! When I've been running a lot of miles, my appetite and snackiness get out of control. During these periods, I have a rule that I can have what I want so long as I eat a handful of sugar snap peas first. They are crunchy and a little sweet, require a good amount of chewing, and are moderately filling...it is usually enough that I will only eat a reasonable portion of whatever it is that I'm craving.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I find the snap peas delicious, albeit a bit oily. Trouble is, they're slider foods for me, and I can consume a surprising amount of them. Earlier this year I joined the Facebook group "Dehydrating Divas and Dudes", and bought a dehydrator. Now I dehydrate organic bananas, apples, pineapple, tomatoes, zucchini chips, peppers, etc. to keep around as snacks. They are very dense, fill me up fast, and take a long time to move on through - the opposite of slider foods. Plus, they taste great, and can be carried in my purse at all times so I'm never without something healthy and low-calorie to munch on. I also always carry a small pill bottle with 10 almonds in it. :)
  • aimz822
    aimz822 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been very focused since the end of September, but as usual, a little time out I revert into my old ways (not logging food immediately, etc). I have been really trying to plan my meals, especially dinner, and have it prepared even the day before or pack my lunch the night before too. The more I feel in control and know that I am going to have a good meal, the less the pantry calls to me. For snacks I have been buying beef jerky and putting it in snack bags (keep a couple in the car) also, I have made my own baked snack garbanzo beans and just sprinkle some of the flavors that they have for popcorn (bbq, buffalo wing, even kettle corn) that way I get that crunchy satisfied with protein since that is what I usually am light on. Love the pill bottle with the 10 almonds idea too @akindofmagick !!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    For years we have had a magnetic white board on our fridge and every Sunday we write down our dinners for the week. I usually decide on Friday or Saturday what breakfasts and lunches I will bring for work so I prepare that on Sunday morning. Sometimes we prepare some dinners in advance so all we have to do is cook them when we get home - prep work is already done.
  • inkdm0m
    inkdm0m Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I have been back to old bad habits stress eating and have gained for the first time in a year and a half. I have to CONSTANTLY remind myself that fast food is not for me. I don't NEED treats, I don't NEED to crunch food and stuff myself til it hurts to relieve my stress. This is going to be a life long battle.