Shocked!

MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
I started keto last Tuesday and really it's been pretty easy going for me. I was already eating low carb so this switch just meant cutting back and measuring my veg while adding fat to them and more fat to most meals. I've kept my net carbs at or below 20 most days with yesterday hitting 25 (but my stomach was bothering me and I only had probiotic gummies with 4 grams of carbs to take, I have better ones and new digestive enzymes coming from Amazon). Weighed today and since Tuesday I'm down 10lbs! I'm shocked. I'm morbidly obese so the large loss is great but I do realize it will slow down. I know it's early but I feel like after years of struggling with various programs I may be onto something that will work longer term for me. Plus I'm feeling pretty darn good, better then I have in years.
«1

Replies

  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    That is amazing! I love that with low carb/ keto I don't feel the hunger and fatigue that I would on a lower calorie diet. I do miss some stuff, bananas, pizza. But I'm working on modifications, low carb pizzas, and learning about nutritional values which helps me realize that if I eat a quarter of a banana if I miss it so much then it won't be the end of the world. It will probably slow down but I think you will continue to lose very effectively.
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Its the greatest things since sliced bread... lol.. I am amazed also, just because its all fitting into my life, my favourite desserts are always cream based, now I am eating full organic cream everyday and losing, fatty lamb shanks yesterday a favourite of mine... and the vege restrictions just take all the "thinking " out of it, I dont spend my time peeling carrots etc... anymore usually on a diet I have every vege under the sun in my kitchen beans soaking cooking lentils hours on end... juicing- this eating plan for me is very simple.... but the real benefit is the mental clarity and emotional stability... I feel so emotionally calm.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Agreed. Just cutting calories makes me irritable.
    Its the greatest things since sliced bread... lol.. I am amazed also, just because its all fitting into my life, my favourite desserts are always cream based, now I am eating full organic cream everyday and losing, fatty lamb shanks yesterday a favourite of mine... and the vege restrictions just take all the "thinking " out of it, I dont spend my time peeling carrots etc... anymore usually on a diet I have every vege under the sun in my kitchen beans soaking cooking lentils hours on end... juicing- this eating plan for me is very simple.... but the real benefit is the mental clarity and emotional stability... I feel so emotionally calm.

  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Awesome! :) I'm glad it's working so well for you.

    Keep an eye on sodium. If you start getting tired, headaches, nausea, moody or muscle pain/cramps, then it's time to supplement with more sodium. Upwards of 3000-5000mg of sodium per day.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    This is true, when I feel like this I take a pinch of Himalayan sea salt and it helps so much. I first read it on the bulletproof blog. Hypertension runs in my family so I'm wary of salt but this had no negative effect right after.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Awesome! :) I'm glad it's working so well for you.

    Keep an eye on sodium. If you start getting tired, headaches, nausea, moody or muscle pain/cramps, then it's time to supplement with more sodium. Upwards of 3000-5000mg of sodium per day.

  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Yes I have been drinking a cup of chicken bullion daily and heavily salt most meals. Also I eat an avocado daily for the potassium and just picked up lite salt at the grocery store today because I was getting charley horses in my calves while sleeping (hate that and used to eat a banana a day to keep it from happening so I know that is a potassium issue). I did get headaches and achey a few times this week but a cup of broth always seemed to help. I think I need to start supplementing for magnesium as well probably.

    I don't feel deprived on this plan right now...and no matter what else I've done I've struggled with feeling like I can't eat the food I want. For example last night DH was eating ben and Jerry's, on any other WOE I would feel like it was unfair that I couldn't eat a pint like he does. I was hungry though so I got a few salami and cream cheese rolls and 5 olives and I was totally satisfied and had no desire to eat the ice cream.

    A week in on any other WOE I would already be working to convince myself and those around me that this would work this time. With this one I don't need to try and convince anyone for he first time I truly feel confident that I've found my WOE (although after a few moths once I'm fay adapted I may do a higher carb day every 2-3 weeks just to make sure I don't get tired of this).
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    MKknits wrote: »
    Yes I have been drinking a cup of chicken bullion daily and heavily salt most meals. Also I eat an avocado daily for the potassium and just picked up lite salt at the grocery store today because I was getting charley horses in my calves while sleeping (hate that and used to eat a banana a day to keep it from happening so I know that is a potassium issue). I did get headaches and achey a few times this week but a cup of broth always seemed to help. I think I need to start supplementing for magnesium as well probably.

    I don't feel deprived on this plan right now...and no matter what else I've done I've struggled with feeling like I can't eat the food I want. For example last night DH was eating ben and Jerry's, on any other WOE I would feel like it was unfair that I couldn't eat a pint like he does. I was hungry though so I got a few salami and cream cheese rolls and 5 olives and I was totally satisfied and had no desire to eat the ice cream.

    A week in on any other WOE I would already be working to convince myself and those around me that this would work this time. With this one I don't need to try and convince anyone for he first time I truly feel confident that I've found my WOE (although after a few moths once I'm fay adapted I may do a higher carb day every 2-3 weeks just to make sure I don't get tired of this).

    Hey @MKknits - I also get Charlies Horses while sleeping, so often I can often feel the twinge of the muscle before it turns. those who get them probably know what I am talking about. With your Chicken bullion, is that a proper broth mix or is it like a stock, which is basically a powder that you add hot water to. I used to just up my water intake to avoid the cramps, but might have to start having some broth to up my salt intake.

  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Good on you. I feel the same about it. Its just no problem. So so easy. I never feel hungry and no sugar cravings. I also feel I can do this long term without feeling like I'm on a diet. It's just a better way of eating. My weight loss has been effortless. 8 kg in 8 weeks. Having some blood work done tomorrow, but feeling really well.
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    @the_new_mark_2016 I use the powdered bullion because I like the taste better and it has a lot more sodium then the boxed pre-made version. The Knorr brand is the brand I like the taste of best - it tastes like the flavoring in chicken ramen noodle to me.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    MKknits wrote: »
    @the_new_mark_2016 I use the powdered bullion because I like the taste better and it has a lot more sodium then the boxed pre-made version. The Knorr brand is the brand I like the taste of best - it tastes like the flavoring in chicken ramen noodle to me.

    I, too, suffer from night leg cramp (both on and off LCHF). I have found a magnesium supplement helps. Doesn't entirely cure them but they are not as frequent nor as strong.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    MKknits wrote: »
    Yes I have been drinking a cup of chicken bullion daily and heavily salt most meals. Also I eat an avocado daily for the potassium and just picked up lite salt at the grocery store today because I was getting charley horses in my calves while sleeping (hate that and used to eat a banana a day to keep it from happening so I know that is a potassium issue). I did get headaches and achey a few times this week but a cup of broth always seemed to help. I think I need to start supplementing for magnesium as well probably.

    @MKknits - Leg cramps are much more of a magnesium issue than potassium, but it's always been marketed as potassium issue. Potassium is often not needed to be supplemented unless you're dumping electrolytes, it is present in chicken and a lot of other meats... It's not required to be tracked on nutrient labels.

    But with magnesium, don't get oxide. Look for glycinate, taurate, citrate - chelated forms if possible. Health stores or amazon, etc. are great sources.
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    @KnitOrMiss (a fellow knitter perhaps?) I have MagCalm I bought a few years ago to help with IBS issues, is that one okay?
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    MKknits wrote: »
    I started keto last Tuesday and really it's been pretty easy going for me. I was already eating low carb so this switch just meant cutting back and measuring my veg while adding fat to them and more fat to most meals. I've kept my net carbs at or below 20 most days with yesterday hitting 25 (but my stomach was bothering me and I only had probiotic gummies with 4 grams of carbs to take, I have better ones and new digestive enzymes coming from Amazon). Weighed today and since Tuesday I'm down 10lbs! I'm shocked. I'm morbidly obese so the large loss is great but I do realize it will slow down. I know it's early but I feel like after years of struggling with various programs I may be onto something that will work longer term for me. Plus I'm feeling pretty darn good, better then I have in years.

    Are you checking for presence of ketones in your blood or urine? Sudden drastic changes in diet promote rapid water weight loss, whether the diet is effective long term or not. Expect it to level out after several weeks, then you can really monitor your progress and know that you are burning your fat instead of just losing water weight.

    I am very happy you feel great, but don't get discouraged if you don't keep losing at this weight.

    Yes, digestive enzymes, and consider something like bone broth too:-)
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    Are you checking for presence of ketones in your blood or urine?

    I was under the impression that if I kept my carbs to under 20 net grams and kept my fat around 70% that I didn't really need to buy the sticks and test. Should I be testing?

  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    solska wrote: »
    I do miss some stuff, bananas, pizza. But I'm working on modifications, low carb pizzas,

    @solska...just google low carb fathead pizza dough. You can thank me later. ;)
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    @ladipoet will do! Thank you!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    MKknits wrote: »
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    Are you checking for presence of ketones in your blood or urine?

    I was under the impression that if I kept my carbs to under 20 net grams and kept my fat around 70% that I didn't really need to buy the sticks and test. Should I be testing?

    Personally, I don't think you need to test. I think it is easy to tell by how you feel:
    - not hungry (or hangry) all the time
    - are losing weight but not feeling deprived (you will have periods of stalling, but even then, it is normal to see changes in body composition/measurements during those periods)
    - find yourself going under calorie goal but not being hungry (not everyday, but not unusual)
    - feel more focused (could be partly because you are not so focused on food)

    You can spend the money on ketostix, but I think it is better to spend it in other ways.

    Now, if you are diabetic, there are some reasons you may want to get a tester for blood ketones. I am still researching this, but it seems there could be some usefulness there.
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »
    MKknits wrote: »
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    Are you checking for presence of ketones in your blood or urine?

    I was under the impression that if I kept my carbs to under 20 net grams and kept my fat around 70% that I didn't really need to buy the sticks and test. Should I be testing?

    Personally, I don't think you need to test. I think it is easy to tell by how you feel:
    - not hungry (or hangry) all the time
    - are losing weight but not feeling deprived (you will have periods of stalling, but even then, it is normal to see changes in body composition/measurements during those periods)
    - find yourself going under calorie goal but not being hungry (not everyday, but not unusual)
    - feel more focused (could be partly because you are not so focused on food)

    You can spend the money on ketostix, but I think it is better to spend it in other ways.

    Now, if you are diabetic, there are some reasons you may want to get a tester for blood ketones. I am still researching this, but it seems there could be some usefulness there.

    Well I was hangry last night but this time shift had me feeling like it was 7 when I started supper at 6 - so I ate my supper while I cooked the kids their supper :smile: - I was also a bit hangry though because in the process of making them their spaghetti I managed to spill the entire spaghetti pot full of water all over the kitchen before I got it to the stove.

    I feel like maybe over the weekend I didn't drink enough water as well and I'm noticing water makes a big difference in how I feel.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    MKknits wrote: »
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    Are you checking for presence of ketones in your blood or urine?

    I was under the impression that if I kept my carbs to under 20 net grams and kept my fat around 70% that I didn't really need to buy the sticks and test. Should I be testing?

    I'm with @cstehansen. I don't think you need to test. Keep doing what you're doing and unless you're unlike the masses, you'll be in ketosis. You can take that with a grain of salt if you like since I have never bothered with "the sticks" but I believe I have been in ketosis except on the 3 occasions (in 7 months) I went severely off plan for a sugar binge. Go severely off plan and you'll experience the differences.

    It is my personal opinion/experience that even on a ketogenic diet old BEHAVIORS still want to rear their ugly head. It is also my experience that real, physically hungry days happen. Those days are just not as frequent.
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    @kpk54 Yesterday was also a hungry day for me - but I partially blame that on having a salad with romaine for lunch. I find romaine to be a worthless food for me and should have just brought spinach to make my own personal salad with (we had a group lunch to honor a coworker that involved lasagna and chicken ceasar salad - the salad is all I ate and it just wasn't filling even when I added full fat dressing, cheese and bacon).