Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    So ecited about the cowboys and Dat Dat La can be proud f Dat . We are.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,075 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :) Don't forget to turn back your clocks tonight if required where you live. An extra hour of sleep, something we can probably all use, especially Buzz. Will be going to 5:00 Mass today because tomorrow my friend asked me if I could help her with a breakfast from her church. No other plans for the weekend.

Marie, not exactly sure what you meant but let's just say GO COWBOYS!!

Lin, I hope you got some sleep, but that concert looked amazing!!

Buzz, you are probably moving on automatic speed without realizing how hard it is to do what you are doing with Mike's belongings. There are a lot of memories in certain things and especially pictures and memento's. Isn't there someone who can help you with the paperwork, you shouldn't have to do everything yourself. Please take time to just sit down and rest throughout the day, there is no hurry to get everything done.

Patsy, I do hope everything goes well with your physical on Tuesday. Try not to think about it because it is out of your control and there is no reason to anticipate the future. I don't think any of us likes to turn our clock back to where it gets dark so early, what is the reason for it any way? I am more of an online shopper and mostly Amazon where I am a prime member and get free shipping.

Jeri, congratulations on the five year recovery!! Sorry you bumped your head and hope you don't get a black eye.

Shirley, great deal on your glasses, always wonderful to get a deal!! I am glad Phoebe asked about Isaac sleeping in so late, I just couldn't imagine Robby sleeping that late. Your explanation made sense but probably didn't make his mommy happy. lol

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and enjoys the extra hour tonight.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Does anybody else do what I do to make the time change tomorrow easier? I turned my clocks back when I got up this morning. Then I adjust by half an hour for the rest of the day. Sort of ease into it. For example old time lunch at 12 noon, so that becomes 11 new time. That means today I have lunch at 11:30 new time and go back to normal new time at 12 noon tomorrow. Of course this wouldn't be any good if one had a job or a timetable, but for me it works. I'm seriously thinking of not changing the clocks in the spring and following one or two other countries that don't bother.

Jill and I went for our walk at 7:30 but with me putting the clocks back a day early it was for us 6:30 and seemed more natural at that time to see dawn breaking. I'm a natural early riser with the first light, and wish governments would leave things alone! I think it all started in WW11 and the blackout and how that affected farmers. After the war was over, big business liked the idea of daylight saving and so we got stuck with it. Could be wrong but I believe my "at the time 10 year old brain" remembers this.

I understand where you are coming from BUZZ. I react to loss and grief exactly the same.

Yesterday I found a super raincoat for the Bean. Bright yellow, waterproof with a warm lining and big enough to accommodate her red "sweater" on freezing days.

IF freezing days are in our future. I'm beginning to wonder! In the sixties today, I am going to do some more gardening in brilliant sunshine. Gorgeous with all the gold and red falling leaves. Still blooming: honeysuckle, snapdragons, mums, blue bell flowers, etc.
    Hope you have a wonderful day as well Sneakers.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Today I've felt the temperature falling by the hour but at least our early morning walk was another wonderful stroll across open moors under clear skies. We covered about 3 miles and the dogs had a great time chasing each other and sometimes sitting away from us apparently in deep conversation about how to wangle a treat from us. They don't move until we blow a whistle then run to our feet and wait for us to dig into our pockets! After an hour or more on Skype chatting to friends I managed to clear out my greenhouse of the pots the tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers had grown in so there's space for delicate potted plants.

I have to admit I love this time of year when clocks have just gone back because I get extra light in the mornings to encourage me out of bed and then by 5 o'clock the curtains are drawn, the fire lit and a mug of tea is steaming somewhere close by. Just heard a forecast in the background stating it will be the coldest bonfire night in 10 years.... the night we burn poor old Guy Fawkes yet again and set off fireworks. I can hear someone in the village has rockets going off already!

Anne ~ Jilly Bean's coat sounds ideal so long as she'll wear it. I mention that because last Christmas George was given a wonderful bright yellow waterproof coat by my neighbours that was made of high viz material but the noise it made as he moved seemed to stick him to the spot..... it's now hopefully being worn by a rescue centre dog waiting for a new home which is where I sent it!

Jeri ~ The great news is you got through those 5 years safely which is half the battle. Can you arrange a private mammogram in a year or so if you wish? If I make it I will then get one more free NHS check 3 years after that which will take me to 74 then I'm on my own so might invest in a private check just to put my mind at rest. Ouch, that must have been quite a smack to end up with such a large bump and do hope you're not too sore today.

Sandy ~ Knowing how you love your bed I'm sure you will enjoy that extra hour in the morning :) Are you preparing breakfast for your friend's church or serving? Whichever, mine's a poached egg on toast with a few mushrooms and a tomato!! Like you I do purchase quite a few items through Amazon and yesterday new waterproof walking boots arrived that feel wonderfully comfortable so I will probably test them in the morning. Having to shop for food is enough of a pain to me without straying into large shops!

Buzz ~ My heart goes out to you as you wade through so many difficult tasks and appreciate how much it must help to find a worthy home for Mike's ties. We're all advising you not to rush things but easier said than done I know so make the most of that extra hour tonight.... SLEEP!

Lin ~ Great photos, thanks for sharing with us and I'm so pleased that although you went on your own you weren't actually on your own meeting people as you did. Was it Country music or rock.... they look as if they could be playing either?

Patsy ~ Do you suffer white coat syndrome when visiting doctors because if it's your heart they are investigating they should take that into account? My blood pressure is always quite normal except on the odd occasion I see a doctor then up it goes so I have to remind them it's that causing it not any heart problem! Your poetry might be the sort I enjoy especially if it's relevant. Punk was never a phase I enjoyed but a poet called John Cooper Clarke who evolved in that era does hold my interest as does singer Eminem who I consider more poet than singer.... I know, I'm old enough to know better but then my tastes were always eclectic!!

Oops, past my evening meal cooking time so I shall head for my kitchen and prepare the bean (sorry Jilly!!) casserole to put on top of a jacket potato. Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone and stay warm.

Jackie
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Buzz - you are a fantastic lady. What a huge job.

Marie - big hugs.

Sandy - I agree with Marie, so are so helpful to us all. And thanks for the congrats - no black eye but a bruise on my forehead. Glad my bangs cover it.

Jackie - my doctor has agreed to see me for 2 more years. That'll be 7 in total. I'll get 1 mammogram once a year followed by a MRI 6 mos. later. In Alberta we can have a mammogram once a year free but MRI must be prescribed by the doctor and they take time to get into. All at no cost to me.

Like Anne and others it is a real adjustment for me to change the time back. I don't do good with it. LOL

Here's a couple pictures. Maggie and Mary Jo and Ed at kindergarten.

Have a great weekend.

Jeri

77hgqwlbxm77.jpg
    wy6eabbood4f.jpg
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    looks like i have not been by So better get my butt in gear.
    I am going back on the plant diet. I love the foods.Beans, potatoes=n corn will be my main food. / Will keep it simple as i can. Love Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    time to cook my sweet potatoes or dinner
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Marie - Happy to see you on here again and feeling better. I see you are out and about lately, glad to hear this. <3

Buzz- I agree with Sandy time to get some zzz's now and catch up on sleep. The rest of it will still be there tomorrow.

Jeri - Great news about your checkup! Great picture of your family. We are so lucky for our health care.

Patsy- Good luck with your doctor apt and may it go your way and you get the news you want to hear.

Lin - Looks like a great concert and fun for you even though you went alone.

Yes remember turn the clocks back and we get to sleep more tomorrow, a bonus!

Today I went to see a play which included a lunch with a friend from Yoga class. It was pretty funny and an enjoyable afternoon.

Shirley
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hi...delighted by JERI's new status and photos! LIN's concert sounded great and may I come to breakfast? Oh dear, I'm having to correct every word I type, and am finally feeling very sleepy. I need that extra hour!!! I received several letters today that appear very official so I hope things are somehow moving along better than I expected. Had dinner tonight with the conductor of the Oklahoma Philharmonic/Symphony Orchestra. In March, he will conduct
    in Milwaukee, where my grandson is second clarinetist! What fun! Gotta sleep..ZZZzzzzzzz!
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,121 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Time to get some rest. It was a busy day of dozens of little things--stayed home all day. Had to add one bigger thing to my list. I got the renewal for my long term care insurance and I still cannot believe it. This year the premium increase is 33 1/3%, next year it will be at least 33 1/3% again and at least 9% the following year. The letter outlines some options other than paying the increase. One is to just stop paying now and in essence switch from a policy with no limit on days of benefit to a fixed dollar amount (that is mentioned in the letter). That would be a bank of dollars that can be used to pay LTC expenses and when it is gone, it is gone. Some tough decisions. Obviously this will not be the last rate increase. At some point I won't be able to afford to continue paying. Isn't life just toooo complicated?

Buzz, I again hope you get some rest. Hugs.

Shirley, a play and lunch sounds like a good combo to me. Glad you were able to go.

Marie, hope your sweet potato turned out good. I cut up lots of raw veggies today, made applesauce, baked some small sweet potatoes and made mushroom gravy. Tomorrow afternoon I hope to get started on another pot of soup.

Jeri, again I love the photos. It is cool that you went to kindergarten with Maggie and Mary Jo. I am glad you are receiving follow-up care. Your system sounds so much better than ours. A friend gets the government to pay for all of her health care, dental care, glasses etc. Don't know how she does it but normally she gets immediate care. Recently she had a knee problem and needed an MRI. She has waited for weeks to get in even with the doctor's orders. She has been pretty well trapped in her house taking pain pills and sleeping. She is at least somewhat fortunate that her family brings her groceries and supplies.

Jackie, the headline act is from Northern Ireland and they sing contemporary worship music. They have had a track on the last several WOW albums which each year compiles the top new Christian songs. They had glorious accents of course (I attended the pre-concert event and they answered questions), they played a wide range of instruments, and utilized interesting background vocals. Of course I was quite surprised to be showered with cascades of colored bits of paper several times, clouds of bubbles, odd lighting and a fog machine! I was pleased to run into some nice people since I almost always go to these things on my own. I had to smile a bit as last evening we were talking about Guy Fawkes day. I hope the fireworks haven't kept you up all night.

Sandy, happy to hear that your calendar isn't packed for the entire weekend. It is nice to have a bit of slack time.

Anne, I do hope Jilly likes the new coat. I hope it does not make much of a crinkling sound. Oh my gosh, I saw a picture of a gray Husky on Facebook today, I just fell in love!! Beautiful dog. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the dog just appeared in this photo. Not looking for a home..

Nite. Long day tomorrow.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Another bracing walk this morning and although at the start we were threatened by black clouds and what felt like sleet, the sun soon came out so we managed our usual 3 mile stroll. Another friend with her 2 dogs joined us so the time went very quickly as we chatted and laughed all the way round! As I now sip my coffee I'm planning the rest of my day which must include a thorough clean of kitchen and shower room.

Jeri ~ I do remember when I resided in Canada the health care was excellent so am sure you will be well looked after. As our little island continues to bulge at the seams with more "visitors" our health system is creaking so it's difficult to get to see a GP within a week but I won't worry about that until (and maybe not!) I need it. What lovely photos of your gorgeous family.... including Ed!

Lin ~ Irish bands are great whatever type of music they play so I can imagine you all had a great time and congratulations if you managed the accents! LOL Not too many fireworks last night so apart from a little grumble from George we were fine although I gather poor Scruff had overhead bangers and rockets to contend with so was not a happy puppy.

Marie ~ Remembering how you loved your plant diet I'm so pleased to read you are planning to get back on it. It's such a good sign you are feeling your old self again.

Buzz ~ You get to meet some fascinating folk at your dinners don't you and what better subject than music to spend the evening chatting about. I'm now smiling to myself because our walk this morning was taken up with talk of current pop music and the dreadful Simon Cowell and his talent programmes, none of which I watch or listen to because I continue to live in the past surrounded by 60's and 70's music, oh and classical music too.

Decision made, I will do some tidying outside while the sun shines, bringing the temperature up to about 7c, and then finally attack the kitchen and shower room with my array of cleaning agents!!

Enjoy your Sunday everyone and thazt lie in!!

Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Well, having missed Guy Fawkes night yet again (46 years!) and the accompanying, bangs, fizzes, baked charred potatoes, soup etc whilst standing around a huge bonfire and dodging the sparks, The Bean and I had an unexpected visitor, Michael showed up on the doorstep unexpectedly after work, and Jilly was ecstatic. We went for a long long walk instead. Lots of leaf crunching, me, and leaf sniffing, her.
    I woke up at 6 as normal, and we went for another long walk and had the world to ourselves.

The band sounds as though it was enormous fun LIN, wish I'd been with you!

After phone calls I'm going to have a hobby and family day. No cooking today because I baked a huge bacon and egg pie yesterday. Great cold with salads on hot summer days; I'll have it with veggie and home fries today, I know! This is a diet and fitness place, BUT isn't it nice to indulge in comfort food now and again, and bacon and egg pie sure is comforting!

Hope Sunday is all you gals wish for,
    Anne.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading about everyone's weekend and plans for today.
    We are having our house pressure washed and painted this week. So, today we will make certain that we have the correct paint colors and that any shrubs are cut back away from the house. I am also going to attempt to create a menu plan for the week and stick to it. I guess that's my personal goal for the week. I'm absolutely loving the slightly cooler temperatures and look forward to enjoying some outside time this week as well.
    Marcella
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,075 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Just checking in as I am helping my friend with a church breakfast and have to leave here by 10:30. I slept 8 hours and 44 minutes so I feel good today. Enjoy your Sunday.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    SANDY, remember I asked you to rub some of your luck with the Cubs On Hull City Tigers soccer? Well a very excited Roy in the U.K. has just rung me to tell me they've finally won a match 2-1 with a top team! What did you do! Roy's so happy he's now ringing Australian relatives!
    Anne
  • Shirley61
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Another beautiful day with a Fall cool brisk air. I took a rest day with no exercise today and got caught up on some chores. I went to look for new placements for the kitchen, Dave will be painting the walls and repainting the cupboards so we decided on painting the kitchen gray so I will be updating on some placemats, and tea towels to match the new walls. I also did a little Christmas shopping for Isaac.

Tomorrow is my diet clinic apt. so more information thrown my way. I should be more enthusiastic about this, maybe as it goes on.

Shirley

• 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Shirley tell me more about your diet clinic
    Chris
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Chris - This program is all paid by my health insurance at no cost to me. I get weighed at each apt.
    and get information and group talks to join. They also have a dietician and counselor there too if you need to see them. My apt. tomorrow is handing in my diaries of 4 days and going over it with some one, not sure who yet. Also I had to do some homework about calories from restaurants on certain food items. Another talk with a doctor, they rotate their doctors and anything else I will find out. My first apt.
    was an hour and a half, but tomorrow's should be shorter. I have another apt. in December to do a breathing test to see where I am with my metabolic rate.

Shirley
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Going home for a couple of days. Jim has a dr appt Tuesday. More tomorrow. Just finished reading the posts.
    Phoebe
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Of all things to disappear , our certificates of marriage and our birth certificates are nowhere to be found! Every other shred of paper is where it should be, but the envelope I knewexactly where to find, that one is missing! I'll have to send for replacements, and I guess it's best to stop hunting and keep on working on just folding and shredding and getting stuff donated! I hoped his sweater collection would be enjoyed by friends, but no one here wears a medium! Sorry, but I must grab a bite and get to bed ASAP! Simply tired as can be!
    <3 Buzz