Stalled

Options
Ok I realise 1 week is not really that long, but it has been super frustrating going a whole week and not loosing a thing, and this morning I was up 200grams. Yeah weight fluctuates daily apparently (even though mine hadn't, had the exact same measurements for 6 days then the jump). Anyway, I wanted to lose another 4 kgs before I started weight training. Should I just start the weight training now?

I also realise my calories are quite low (1000-1200) but eating low carb I am very satisfied and sometimes even have to force myself to eat to get to 1000. I'm at a loss of what to do? Start weight training and up my calories to 1400 this week? Or stick to what had been working?

I've been LC for 7 weeks and I had lost 7kgs in 6 weeks before this stall.

Replies

• solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would make sure that you are taking enough fat. And this could be your body holding on to water and there will be a whoosh. I don't know too well about weight training and metabolism but a lot I read suggests low calories and weight training don't go too well together. I would start a little of you are feeling well and see how I feel. If you feel your energy is depleted, eat more on the days you train. Don't worry about the weight. It will come off if you are within your goals. Would be good to monitor your body fat, water etc. even if roughly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would say to start weight training. Unless you need to lose more weight to make weight training safer, there isn't any real reason to put off weight training, which is almost always beneficial to your health and shape in the long run.

Up your calories to 1400. Try to eat it if you are hungry - your hunger may go up with new activity. If you have a not hungry day, then eat 1000kcal, but otherwise you'll want to eat to fuel your workouts. Make sure you are getting above your minimum protein needs in particular. If not hungry, cut back on fats and carbs. Most of us have extra fat to burn anyways. ;)

Take your measurements and some pictures before you start lifting. The scale will probably stall a bit when you start. Your muscles will be holding onto water to help them selves grow and repair themselves. You may be losing fat, and inches, but the scale may slow for a while. Pictures and measurements will come in handy for reassurance if that happens.

Congrats on your losses so far! :)
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    I would make sure that you are taking enough fat. And this could be your body holding on to water and there will be a whoosh. I don't know too well about weight training and metabolism but a lot I read suggests low calories and weight training don't go too well together. I would start a little of you are feeling well and see how I feel. If you feel your energy is depleted, eat more on the days you train. Don't worry about the weight. It will come off if you are within your goals. Would be good to monitor your body fat, water etc. even if roughly.

I'm waiting on a new scale to arrive for body fat, muscle mass etc to watch any trends as I know they are not very accurate. Thank you =)
  • madisons_mummy
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I would say to start weight training. Unless you need to lose more weight to make weight training safer, there isn't any real reason to put off weight training, which is almost always beneficial to your health and shape in the long run.

Up your calories to 1400. Try to eat it if you are hungry - your hunger may go up with new activity. If you have a not hungry day, then eat 1000kcal, but otherwise you'll want to eat to fuel your workouts. Make sure you are getting above your minimum protein needs in particular. If not hungry, cut back on fats and carbs. Most of us have extra fat to burn anyways. ;)

Take your measurements and some pictures before you start lifting. The scale will probably stall a bit when you start. Your muscles will be holding onto water to help them selves grow and repair themselves. You may be losing fat, and inches, but the scale may slow for a while. Pictures and measurements will come in handy for reassurance if that happens.

Thank you =) That sounds like a plan. I'm aiming for 140g protein (will need to have either protein bars or protein powder) 78g fat and 35g carbs. Which works out at 50%f 40%p 10%c do these macros look ok? Also I think I will weigh myself weekly instead of daily from now on. Thanks for your help
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have done cardio and weight training 5 days a week since I have been Keto without problems (10 months now). When you exercise intensely, your weight will fluctuate a lot more, so be prepared to it going up as well as down. I tend to bounce around a stochastic of 2lbs, with a downward trend over time. So don't freak out if you go up a little now & again.
    Keep at it. I am down 68lbs and over 20% body fat in 10 months to 130lbs / 21% body fat.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Thank you =) That sounds like a plan. I'm aiming for 140g protein (will need to have either protein bars or protein powder) 78g fat and 35g carbs. Which works out at 50%f 40%p 10%c do these macros look ok? Also I think I will weigh myself weekly instead of daily from now on. Thanks for your help

Sounds good. You are probably mostly fat adapted now so energy dips should not occur.

Your protein is pretty high. I'm not sure if you need that much unless you are lifting quite intensely. You would probably be fine with a protein level just above 80 or 90g, but going higher won't hurt. I don't know a lot about protein and lifting though - take my advice with a grain of salt.

Perhaps start a new thread about protein needs for ketosis for a new lifting program? There are a few serious lifters around here who may be more attracted to a thread title about lifting and protein needs rather than one about a stall. ;)

Good luck!
  • solska
    Options
    I think it's also a good idea to ask lifters about this. I would certainly be interested to know what they say. From what I understand, excess protein can also hinder weight-loss on a low-carb diet since extra protein will be turned into glycogen.

Sounds good. You are probably mostly fat adapted now so energy dips should not occur.

Your protein is pretty high. I'm not sure if you need that much unless you are lifting quite intensely. You would probably be fine with a protein level just above 80 or 90g, but going higher won't hurt. I don't know a lot about protein and lifting though - take my advice with a grain of salt.

Perhaps start a new thread about protein needs for ketosis for a new lifting program? There are a few serious lifters around here who may be more attracted to a thread title about lifting and protein needs rather than one about a stall. ;)

Good luck!

• nvmomketo
    Options
    I think it's also a good idea to ask lifters about this. I would certainly be interested to know what they say. From what I understand, excess protein can also hinder weight-loss on a low-carb diet since extra protein will be turned into glycogen.

Good luck!

True. I'm not sure what the upper protein number is for women, but I believe for men it is in excess of 200+g of protein per day.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing at the moment either. I have been exactly 92kg for 2 weeks, then yesterday I had like 2 slices of cheese over and above my calorie limit (I'm normally under) and this morning I'm 92.5kg. It does get frustrating.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Good luck!

True. I'm not sure what the upper protein number is for women, but I believe for men it is in excess of 200+g of protein per day.

Hmm. I seem to need to keep mine under around 120-130g/day, with not more than 30g at a time, in order to keep my blood glucose down. (A bit more with exercise.)

Oh, last time I checked, I was male.
  • madisons_mummy
    Options

Good luck!

Hmm, I'm already eating at approx 70-80g protein. This is definitely going to be trial and error. I'm also thinking 1400cal high protein on my lift days and what I'm doing now on none lift days and see how it goes. Rather than jump all in with higher cals and protein. The last 2 weeks I've been feeling like crap, headaches, a bit tired and really grouchy and it's not shark week lol.

I'll give this a go and report back in a few weeks =D
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a whey shake with 2 tbsp of MCT oil 30-45 minutes before your workout and see if it helps you maintain your energy this is what I use for my HIIT treadmill and bike training and also my upper body band days. I finish these in the morning then have a good protein infusion of eggs with meat like sausage or bacon for breakfast it will give a nice infuse of protein for the body to use for repair and recovery before, during and after the workout.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Good luck!

Hmm. I seem to need to keep mine under around 120-130g/day, with not more than 30g at a time, in order to keep my blood glucose down. (A bit more with exercise.)

Oh, last time I checked, I was male.

Hmm, maybe a caveat about those with IR then. Maybe we can't go as high without BG going up? I've never tried going high. I have a hard enough time hitting 80g of protein because I am not a big meat eater. I should experiment some day....

Good point though. If one has a blood glucose meter, we can easily see how much protein is too much for our BG. The again, those who are lifting heavy might like the extra insulin since it is anabolic.

Bah. I need more caffeine. My brain isn't sorting this well right now.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Good luck!

Hmm, I'm already eating at approx 70-80g protein. This is definitely going to be trial and error. I'm also thinking 1400cal high protein on my lift days and what I'm doing now on none lift days and see how it goes. Rather than jump all in with higher cals and protein. The last 2 weeks I've been feeling like crap, headaches, a bit tired and really grouchy and it's not shark week lol.

That could be low sodium. Are you supplementing 3000-5000mg of sodium per day? I had those symptoms about 2-4 weeks into the diet once my sodium finally got low enough.
  • madisons_mummy
    Options

Good luck!

That could be low sodium. Are you supplementing 3000-5000mg of sodium per day? I had those symptoms about 2-4 weeks into the diet once my sodium finally got low enough.

No I haven't. I didn't even know it was an issue until reading a bit more on here. How do you supplement it without using broth? My sodium is generally between 750-1500 a day
  • solska
    Options
    When I feel as such, I take a pinch of himalayan sea salt and have some water. Guess you can put it in your broth, too.

Good luck!

No I haven't. I didn't even know it was an issue until reading a bit more on here. How do you supplement it without using broth? My sodium is generally between 750-1500 a day

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options

You can make your own keto-ade. A quarter teaspoon table salt (or sea salt) and a quarter teaspoon potassium chloride (the "fake" salt they sell for people with high blood pressure) in 16-20 oz. of water. Flavor it if you like with Mio drops, or a dash of lemon or lime juice and a few drops of stevia or other sweetener.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Good luck!

You can read about hydration & electrolytes in the "avoiding keto flu" section of the sticky Launchpad thread.
  • madisons_mummy
    Options

Good luck!

You can read about hydration & electrolytes in the "avoiding keto flu" section of the sticky Launchpad thread.

Thanks. I'll check it out now =)
  • RalfLott
    edited November 2016
    Options

Good luck!

Thanks. I'll check it out now =)

Better set aside a couple hours! It's a treasure trove of great info (thanks to @baconslave, who maintains it).