Fat to Protein Ratio?

Options
HereLieWe
HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
I eat approximately 1200-1400 calories each day. 50-60% of my calories come from fat. I stay under 25 grams of carbs.

Is my protein intake too high? I'm worried that I'm stalling ketosis by eating too much protein. However, I have been eating this way for several months now. My weight loss has slowed down, but I haven't plateaued.

Replies

• eddiemachadoxp
    eddiemachadoxp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm still tinkering with my ratios and percentages but I'm guesstimating that your fat intake as a percentage of your overall intake should be around 70-75%.

My research on the topic of excess protein while in ketosis: Your body will break down excess protein and convert it to carbs so your percentages will be thrown off if you take in too much protein. (So even my zero carb protein powders are on hold right now).

That's my input but I'm still a newb and experimenting with my own macros and monitoring results.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    What does "slowed down" mean? Weight loss is not linear.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Most low carbers use moderate protein. Usually between 15 and 25% protein. Some go higher if they are quite active and lifting. LCHF is pretty muscle sparing though so excess protein isn't needed.

Minimum protein for women (I apologize if I guessed wrong) is around 50g per day. Mine was set at 20% of 1420kcal, or about 70g. Your protein is around 135g? That's probably more than you need and you could even cut it in half if you wished. If you are happy with it, leave it at the higher end of things. It probably isn't so high that it would affect ketosis (usually that's over 200g protein) but it may if you are not a large or very active person.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    What does "slowed down" mean? Weight loss is not linear.

It just means that I'm not losing as quickly as I was at the beginning of my diet. I've been eating this way since May. Went from 165 to 146.

I'm 5'2" and pretty much sedentary, so I'm losing about .5 a week at my current intake. The only reason my protein intake is so great is because I bake with protein powder and eat a lot of meat. I guess I should probably switch to more fatty pieces of meat.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ra02k8fxuc3s.jpg

This graphic might be of help. To use it figure out what your calorie needs are to MAINTAIN your current weight. Then set 25g carbs (theirs shows 35 but do whatever you want there) then figure either their basic 20% of TOTAL maintenance calories for protein or determine your protein needs based on activity and lean body mass from one of the calculators in the launchpad and use that number, then ALL of the rest of the calories will be from fat.
    Now this tells you how much fat you need to burn to maintain your weight. So to figure out how much to eat to lose weight you just reduce fat until you get to the calorie deficit you want.
    Carbs and protein are fixed. Fat is adjusted up and down depending on your calorie deficit.
    So you may not consume 70-75% of calories from fat but you'll get 70-75% of your total energy from fat. You might only consume 60%... the rest comes from bodyfat.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I eat about 90g of protein a day but I'm 5'10"
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add except keep at it. You're losing. It will be easier to off.
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am 6ft and eat between 55g-65g a day split between 2 meals no issues if I was eating 90g I would definitely be increasing my exercise regimen my 2 cents. Keto on!!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    There is no ratio, and trying to look at it via percentages is a good way to screw yourself. With your calories being what they are, you'd want a higher protein to fat ratio than say, someone eating 2000/day. Essentially, your carbs and proteins should be relatively hard set numbers, with fat being what you increase or decrease to modify calories.

As an example:
    My cutting cals: 1400.
    Cutting macros: 20g carbs, 175g protein, 69g fat. This gives a ratio of roughly 5/50/45 c/p/f.
    Bulking cals: 2400.
    Bulking macros: 20g carbs, 175g protein, 180g fat. The ratio now comes out to 3/29/68 c/p/f.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you are sedentary, you only need between 0.6 and 0.8 grams of protein per day per kg of lean body mass to maintain what you have. At your height and being sedentary, I would guess you don't have more than 45 kg of lean body mass which would mean you don't need more than 36 g of protein a day. Some studies show you can stall ketosis going over 1.5 g per kg of lean body mass which would be up near 67.5 g for you.

IMO, protein powders really aren't needed by anyone who is not working out with the intent of gaining muscle or are vegetarian and struggle to get enough protein.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    At 5'2" and at your current weight, you are getting close to goal. Your weight loss will REALLY slow down, so be patient. If you want to see more movement on the scale, get moving for an hour a day (doesn't have to be crazy, just elevate your heart rate a bit and break a sweat).

I am 5'2" and at goal. Been here for awhile. I'll be 50 this week! I think that your macros are fine if YOU ENJOY IT. Don't make yourself crazy with numbers, you need to like how you are eating to maintain your loss.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    At 5'2" and at your current weight, you are getting close to goal. Your weight loss will REALLY slow down, so be patient. If you want to see more movement on the scale, get moving for an hour a day (doesn't have to be crazy, just elevate your heart rate a bit and break a sweat).

I am 5'2" and at goal. Been here for awhile. I'll be 50 this week! I think that your macros are fine if YOU ENJOY IT. Don't make yourself crazy with numbers, you need to like how you are eating to maintain your loss.

So the lockdown diet works! Congrats on your accomplishment.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    If you are sedentary, you only need between 0.6 and 0.8 grams of protein per day per kg of lean body mass to maintain what you have. At your height and being sedentary, I would guess you don't have more than 45 kg of lean body mass which would mean you don't need more than 36 g of protein a day. Some studies show you can stall ketosis going over 1.5 g per kg of lean body mass which would be up near 67.5 g for you.

IMO, protein powders really aren't needed by anyone who is not working out with the intent of gaining muscle or are vegetarian and struggle to get enough protein.

Except GNG is demand driven, not supply. While it is possible to consume enough protein that the oxidized aminos become a problem, it actually takes conscious effort. I've been upward of 350g per day during bulk phases, just because I can, and suffered no keto issues.

GNG is going to happen no matter what. If you aren't getting enough dietary protein to cover it, it's going to take from your muscles first, then organs later. This is why VLCDs that utilize high carbs and/or fats to the exclusion of protein show severe muscle wasting (and eventually death), whereas those that are entirely protein dependant show far less wasting (and no death), at least up to the point where your body is out of fat stores.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    HereLieWe wrote: »
    I eat approximately 1200-1400 calories each day. 50-60% of my calories come from fat. I stay under 25 grams of carbs.

Is my protein intake too high? I'm worried that I'm stalling ketosis by eating too much protein. However, I have been eating this way for several months now. My weight loss has slowed down, but I haven't plateaued.

My doctor and I would say that yes your protein is way too high. My diet is at least 80% fat and under 70g protein. You could always monitor your ketones by blood to be sure. Yes,I do believe ketones accurately predict ketosis. It's kind of fact.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5' 6.5" tall woman and I eat a minimum of 100g/protein per day. I also do strength training 3X/week and cardio in the form of walking 4X/week too. Before switching over from weight-loss to weight-maintenance I used to eat about 40-45g/protein per day and during that time I was also walking every day too (shrug). Find what works best for you.