Zoloft or other SSRIs?

Options
ttw1211
ttw1211 Posts: 91 Member
Good morning!
Does anyone take Zoloft or any other SSRI, if so, when you started it did it caught weight gain?
And did you gain weight even with diet and exercise?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I took them from 14-16, though I was already fat and lazy, so I really can't offer much in this area.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Didn't occur to me that they might have contributed to weight gain. Back then I was so depressed that M&M's and cookies were my comfort anyway. I went off them a few years ago and lost some weight. Then discovered LCHF and lost a bunch more. I found that they muted everything. Numb. Was on various kinds of anti depressants for 20 to 30 years.
  • ttw1211
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    Didn't occur to me that they might have contributed to weight gain. Back then I was so depressed that M&M's and cookies were my comfort anyway. I went off them a few years ago and lost some weight. Then discovered LCHF and lost a bunch more. I found that they muted everything. Numb. Was on various kinds of anti depressants for 20 to 30 years.

Thank you for your answer. I'm sorry to hear about your rough time. Depression/anxiety is just awful.
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I take wellbutrin. It has helped me get off my butt and move, quit smoking and curb the appetite I believe. I made a lot of lifestyle changes all at once, because my depression was worse than ever and my thyroid numbers scared the crap out of me.

Wellbutrin tends to be less effective for depression symptoms, but more effective for the other stuff. This time around, my extra motivation has made all the difference. With any medication, I think the choices you make for how you're going to handle the symptoms to get better contributes a whole lot to the outcome you have.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My story: I gained weight without medication while being depressed. Perhaps it is just a matter of determining which you want to do because both may have the same result in regards to weight.

The first 52 years of my life, I never knew depression. My parents were both diagnosed with terminal cancer the same week in April of 2006. Sparing all the sad details, the fine, caring folks of Hospice suggested I start taking an anti-depressant and further suggested I not get off it too soon. I followed half their advice. I began taking it but only for 6 months. I thought I was "ok" after 6 months but then spent the next 5 years progressively removing everything in my life that had been important to me...except my husband. :) Fortunately he stuck by me though I'm sure it was difficult and he probably felt helpless and hopeless at times.

By the grace of some divine intervention perhaps, I guess I had grieved "enough" and recognized who and what I had become and was spared from continuing to live the life that was created. In regards to weight, I gained 60 pounds.

It wasn't a miraculous recovery but over the next couple of years I had enough good days that eventually the sadness, the grief, the anger, the loneliness, the emptiness, the lethargy, the withdrawal, the helplessness and the hopelessness passed.

My suggestion based on my experience, give some consideration to SSRIs or some anti-depressant if it has been suggested SSRIs would be helpful. I can't help but believe I would have benefited by following the device I was given. I'm OK today though I spent far too many days, too many years being numb. And...I gained weight because I chose food for comfort and stimulation.

• xazazelx
    xazazelx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking 50mg Zoloft for anxiety.
    I've been on it for 2 months and not noticed any weight gain (only been low carb for 2 weeks) and I've not had a problem losing weight either.
    My appetite was reduced before this WOE and I was able to exercise without worrying about what people thought.
    It took 2-3 weeks for me to get used to the side effects (dry eye, cotton mouth and not sleeping) but most resolved within a month.
    My mood is much more stable now and I'm planning to return to full time work soon.
    If you have any more questions, just let me know and I'll try to answer them :smile:
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    SSRI's give me tachycardia, so I can't take them. I take Wellbutrin, which is a lovely appetite suppressant.
  • ttw1211
    Options
    I take wellbutrin. It has helped me get off my butt and move, quit smoking and curb the appetite I believe. I made a lot of lifestyle changes all at once, because my depression was worse than ever and my thyroid numbers scared the crap out of me.

Wellbutrin tends to be less effective for depression symptoms, but more effective for the other stuff. This time around, my extra motivation has made all the difference. With any medication, I think the choices you make for how you're going to handle the symptoms to get better contributes a whole lot to the outcome you have.

Yes I agree with the last thing you said about the choices you make, I'm hoping the Zoloft plus a positive outlook will help- with no weight gain lol :)
    Thank you for your help

• ttw1211
    Options
    xazazelx wrote: »
    I'm currently taking 50mg Zoloft for anxiety.
    I've been on it for 2 months and not noticed any weight gain (only been low carb for 2 weeks) and I've not had a problem losing weight either.
    My appetite was reduced before this WOE and I was able to exercise without worrying about what people thought.
    It took 2-3 weeks for me to get used to the side effects (dry eye, cotton mouth and not sleeping) but most resolved within a month.
    My mood is much more stable now and I'm planning to return to full time work soon.
    If you have any more questions, just let me know and I'll try to answer them :smile:

It's nice to hear this medicine has helped you and the side effects went away. Thank you so much for sharing and good luck with everything!!
    Anxiety is awful :(

• ttw1211
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    My story: I gained weight without medication while being depressed. Perhaps it is just a matter of determining which you want to do because both may have the same result in regards to weight.

The first 52 years of my life, I never knew depression. My parents were both diagnosed with terminal cancer the same week in April of 2006. Sparing all the sad details, the fine, caring folks of Hospice suggested I start taking an anti-depressant and further suggested I not get off it too soon. I followed half their advice. I began taking it but only for 6 months. I thought I was "ok" after 6 months but then spent the next 5 years progressively removing everything in my life that had been important to me...except my husband. :) Fortunately he stuck by me though I'm sure it was difficult and he probably felt helpless and hopeless at times.

By the grace of some divine intervention perhaps, I guess I had grieved "enough" and recognized who and what I had become and was spared from continuing to live the life that was created. In regards to weight, I gained 60 pounds.

It wasn't a miraculous recovery but over the next couple of years I had enough good days that eventually the sadness, the grief, the anger, the loneliness, the emptiness, the lethargy, the withdrawal, the helplessness and the hopelessness passed.

My suggestion based on my experience, give some consideration to SSRIs or some anti-depressant if it has been suggested SSRIs would be helpful. I can't help but believe I would have benefited by following the device I was given. I'm OK today though I spent far too many days, too many years being numb. And...I gained weight because I chose food for comfort and stimulation.

Wow thank you so much for sharing your story!! Very inspiring. Good luck to you :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @ttw1211 - If you haven't already signed up for it, the adrenal reset summit (adrenalresetsummit.com/) going on right now has had some fabulous information on treating anxiety through diet, with amino acids/nutrients/supplements, and even including some essential oils.

Medication is absolutely necessary for some folks, and no one should ever be forced to take it or not take it due to side effects and all that. If nothing else, some of these things could work with your medication (though not the supplements, it recommends against that) and support your current progress.

And I agree, anxiety, as well as depression and all mood disorders, they totally STINK!
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the brand names are but I've previously take ssris. citalopram 40mg and then moved into sertraline 200mg at my worst. I did gain most of my weight when taking them.

If I'm honest, I don't believe that they directly caused the gain but I think it was related. I believe that if I hadn't been ill and on those tablets, when I'd gained 7lbs I would have cut back a bit and been in control, as I'd always done before.

When I was on the meds I felt really disconnected from things and I worried about things a lot less. I didn't worry about how I looked or how much I ate.

Even when I lowered the dose and I started to dislike what I saw in the mirror, any motivation I had to lose weight would end quickly as I would just end up not caring.

I don't regret it because I know those tablets probably saved my life and I did need to chill out and worry less

I'm sorry this is a bit of a rambling post but that was just my experience and I guess ultimately if you need to be on the meds that's what needs to come first. I think you can still lose weight but you'll need plenty of motivation and support around you.

Good luck
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Citalopram 40mg. Side effects so bad that after long discussions with my other half, I eventually went cold turkey. 2 weeks of hell, but it was worth it for me.

I honestly believe that SSRI's saves lives, it helps people cope. But it is also only a bandaid. Without solving the issue(s) they will come back.
    Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is pretty good at changing your mindset and also deal with anxieties in a constructive way.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Citalopram 40mg. Side effects so bad that after long discussions with my other half, I eventually went cold turkey. 2 weeks of hell, but it was worth it for me.

I honestly believe that SSRI's saves lives, it helps people cope. But it is also only a bandaid. Without solving the issue(s) they will come back.
    Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is pretty good at changing your mindset and also deal with anxieties in a constructive way.

@Bonny132 - Remember, too, that there are multiple types of anxiety. Traditional anxiety might be addressed by CBT, but an actual chemical imbalance in one's brain cannot be treated or cured by therapy of any type. Chemical imbalances require medical intervention. I give thanks often that such things exist for those who need them.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I totally agree some people need them, but I totally believe too many are prescribed them too easily just to make us leave the doctors office. It is the easy option, working out what the issue is and how to treat it is much harder.

I don't think counselling is for everyone and for some it needs to be done with meds to ensure it is as effective as can be. Some people need meds, one of my friends has been on meds for over 20 years now. She will probably take them for the rest of her life. Counselling and CBT has not helped more than that she is now on a reduced dose only.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have had mild depression and moderate anxiety all my life. The anxiety is what made me so successful in my professional life as I always worried whether I did things right, did I do things in the best way possible.

I white-knuckled thru it all for 25 yrs, only seeking talk therapy when things got to crisis mode. I am now faced with family circumstances that are very, very difficult. I am also spending winter in a place where I know I will be prone to seasonal affective disorder. I have taken L-theanine for years for anxiety but never anything for depression.

I sought mental health care proactively and after much discussion, agree on a SSNRI. I am a health care provider so there was a lengthy discussion as to side effects and my desire to be able to easily wean off the med when appropriate.

After making lifestyle changes (diet & exercise) and starting to take 5-htp which stimulates serotonin production, I was able to discontinue my SSNRI. This was all done while coordinating with my VA provider. I also have a light box which is wonderful.

Everyone is different. Find what works for you while knowing there are a LOT of options.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get enough L-tyrosine. Don't overdo it, though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »
    I have had mild depression and moderate anxiety all my life. The anxiety is what made me so successful in my professional life as I always worried whether I did things right, did I do things in the best way possible.

I white-knuckled thru it all for 25 yrs, only seeking talk therapy when things got to crisis mode. I am now faced with family circumstances that are very, very difficult. I am also spending winter in a place where I know I will be prone to seasonal affective disorder. I have taken L-theanine for years for anxiety but never anything for depression.

I sought mental health care proactively and after much discussion, agree on a SSNRI. I am a health care provider so there was a lengthy discussion as to side effects and my desire to be able to easily wean off the med when appropriate.

After making lifestyle changes (diet & exercise) and starting to take 5-htp which stimulates serotonin production, I was able to discontinue my SSNRI. This was all done while coordinating with my VA provider. I also have a light box which is wonderful.

Everyone is different. Find what works for you while knowing there are a LOT of options.

@idocdlw - This is an absolutely incredible testimony to the power of being your own best advocate. Congratulations, and I hope you only continue to improve in all areas of your life! Including surviving a winter in difficult conditions all around.

Foamroller wrote: »
    Make sure you get enough L-tyrosine. Don't overdo it, though.
    @Foamroller - Maria Emmerich suggests 1000 mg of L-Tyrosine, twice a day. What are considered to be the "enough" and "overdone" lines, in your opinion? Do you have any links?
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you for the affirmation. I know how hard it was for people serving in the armed forces to seek mental health care. Access was never the issue...stigma was. I am certain this translates to the civilian sector. Mental health care is just that...mental health care...sometimes talk therapy works, sometimes behavioral therapy works and sometimes there is a need for pharmaceutical intervention. Everyone needs to find their own path according to their individual needs. I so love this forum as members are so accepting and willing to give valuable feedback without criticism.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you for the affirmation. I know how hard it was for people serving in the armed forces to seek mental health care. Access was never the issue...stigma was. I am certain this translates to the civilian sector. Mental health care is just that...mental health care...sometimes talk therapy works, sometimes behavioral therapy works and sometimes there is a need for pharmaceutical intervention. Everyone needs to find their own path according to their individual needs. I so love this forum as members are so accepting and willing to give valuable feedback without criticism.

@idocdlw - Sadly, I have witnessed the stigma strongly in my own home. My guy is a veteran, and he was messed about by a former psychiatrist and psychologist team. He was already fairly untrusting before that (my understanding is that military service tends to open the eyes more than the average person), but that was the last straw. He won't see one, he flat out would rather have a pine box over medication, and it is just frustrating overall... But I am so glad you overcame the stigma and did what you needed to do.