Colonoscopy Prep

Options
Bayluvr
Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
I have to have one of my many colonoscopies on Nov 17, and the prep starts the day before. My MD recommends an 8oz bottle of Miralax mixed in 64ozs Gatorade, but also says I can use a clear liquid of my choice. I've looked at low-cal Gatorade which contains sucrose, sucralose and acesulfame K as sweeteners, and PowerAde Zero, which contains sucralose and acesulfame K.

I've only started keto a few days short of a month ago, and I'm doing well. I do 5% carbs, and am usually way under 20g. I have had no cravings, and don't want to cause any, so I'm wondering if ketoade would be a better choice to use for the prep. I have Stevia and Nu-salt....still need to research the "recipe" :)

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated, and thanks!

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think you're on the right track.

(Even antifreeze seems more appealing than that vile Gatorade.)

Perhaps it would help to have fluids with all the electrolytes ready to drink when you come to on the, er, back end.

I plan to ask if it's OK to take magnesium citrate for my next purge. 1 bottle costs < $1...
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Back end? :p

After the procedure has never been a problem...a
    little groggy at first, but I'm always famished and ready to eat right away!

As for the magnesium citrate, I've had so much in my life that I have an aversion to the stuff now. But you're right...a lot more economical than Miralax.

• RalfLott
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    Back end? :p

After the procedure has never been a problem...a
    little groggy at first, but I'm always famished and ready to eat right away!

As for the magnesium citrate, I've had so much in my life that I have an aversion to the stuff now. But you're right...a lot more economical than Miralax.

Yowza. That's an understandable reaction!

If you don't mind a prying question, could I ask - what's the underlying medical condition, and has it been helped by an LC diet?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Keto-ade recipe is roughly 8-16 ounces of water, 1/8 tsp of magnesium (powdered if you have it, if not, can add pills every few bottles), 1/8 tsp of lite salt (for the potassium AND the sodium), and lemon juice (adds more potassium, but easily absorbed type) to taste - or stevia and extracts or a water flavor drop thing...basically, flavor to taste. I use the "simply lime" things - either the packets, which I cut by half, or just the lime with some stevia. :)

Best of luck!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I just used clear power aid zero. By the time it was my last glass I was so sick of the mandarin orange flavor :) on the plus side I thing our way of eating helps with the prep..mine wasn't bad at all.
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    @RalfLott, my condition was never formally diagnosed. My colon was grossly enlarged (megacolon ruled out), causing severe pain, and extensive diarrhea and vomiting. I was hospitalized 5 times in a 3mo period. I was evaluated at a prestigious University, still with no definitive diagnosis. An exploratory surgery revealed nothing but a "funny looking gallbladder" (per my surgeon) which was removed.

Oddly enough, I had one more occurrence following the surgery, but none since. That was in 1998-99, and I had gastric bypass surgery in 2000, losing 177 lbs. I regained 71 lbs over the years, and lost 78 lbs in 2013-14, through low carb (less than 100) and lower fat, but life hit me HARD, and I regained 48 lbs in one year!

I started keto on Oct 17, and the lbs and inches are coming off. I feel great, physically and emotionally (except for my bad back) :s
    I guess whatever it was could've been kept at bay by a LC diet since I've been LC since my gastric bypass 16yrs ago, with many lapses through the years. Who knows??
  • Bayluvr
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, thanks for the recipe and the well-wishes! Not familiar with the simply lime, but I'll find it.

@carlsoda, I thought the powerade would be more convenient, but I'm worried about the sweeteners causing carb cravings. That's what Splenda does to me (the packets) and powerade contains sucralose. It prob wouldn't hurt for such a short period, add to that the fact that I'll be on clear liquids and can't cheat anyway, lol.

As far as the prep itself, I'm looking forward to it. I suffer from chronic constipation (I know, TMI) :p
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott, my condition was never formally diagnosed. My colon was grossly enlarged (megacolon ruled out), causing severe pain, and extensive diarrhea and vomiting. I was hospitalized 5 times in a 3mo period. I was evaluated at a prestigious University, still with no definitive diagnosis. An exploratory surgery revealed nothing but a "funny looking gallbladder" (per my surgeon) which was removed.

Oddly enough, I had one more occurrence following the surgery, but none since. That was in 1998-99, and I had gastric bypass surgery in 2000, losing 177 lbs. I regained 71 lbs over the years, and lost 78 lbs in 2013-14, through low carb (less than 100) and lower fat, but life hit me HARD, and I regained 48 lbs in one year!

I started keto on Oct 17, and the lbs and inches are coming off. I feel great, physically and emotionally (except for my bad back) :s
    I guess whatever it was could've been kept at bay by a LC diet since I've been LC since my gastric bypass 16yrs ago, with many lapses through the years. Who knows??

So all you've got to show for an acute but extinct GI plague is a bad back (?). Glad you've got the problem, er, behind you!

PS my water-hating 90-year old father-in-law was dammed up for almost a month. He now stirs a spoonful of generic Miralax into his beaker of OJ in the morning, and that has done the trick after decades of chronic sewer back-up.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, thanks for the recipe and the well-wishes! Not familiar with the simply lime, but I'll find it.

@carlsoda, I thought the powerade would be more convenient, but I'm worried about the sweeteners causing carb cravings. That's what Splenda does to me (the packets) and powerade contains sucralose. It prob wouldn't hurt for such a short period, add to that the fact that I'll be on clear liquids and can't cheat anyway, lol.

As far as the prep itself, I'm looking forward to it. I suffer from chronic constipation (I know, TMI) :p

Unflavored pedialyte may be another option.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Perhaps it would help to have fluids with all the electrolytes ready to drink when you come to on the, er, back end.

I plan to ask if it's OK to take magnesium citrate for my next purge. 1 bottle costs < $1...

Antifreeze, hmmmm. This brings the toxicologist in me out. While the current treatment for ethylene glycol OD is fomepizole, the old standard - which is still used if fomepizole isn't available for some reason is -...wait for it...ethanol!! Seems a bit drastic just to get IV alcohol flowing in the veins, but to each his own, heh? I'm sure the antifreeze is much prettier than to look at than Gatorade (or mag citrate).

Back in the day, alcoholics would go to ERs and state they had drank antifreeze. While the labs were being run to confirm this, an IV was setup and an ethanol drip begun. Once the labs came back (neg of course), tthe staff would remove the IV and discharge the patient who would then move on to another hospital. Just one of those arcane but curiously interesting facts that my brain continues to spit out from time to time.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

Antifreeze, hmmmm. This brings the toxicologist in me out. While the current treatment for ethylene glycol OD is fomepizole, the old standard - which is still used if fomepizole isn't available for some reason is -...wait for it...ethanol!! Seems a bit drastic just to get IV alcohol flowing in the veins, but to each his own, heh? I'm sure the antifreeze is much prettier than to look at than Gatorade (or mag citrate).

Back in the day, alcoholics would go to ERs and state they had drank antifreeze. While the labs were being run to confirm this, an IV was setup and an ethanol drip begun. Once the labs came back (neg of course), tthe staff would remove the IV and discharge the patient who would then move on to another hospital. Just one of those arcane but curiously interesting facts that my brain continues to spit out from time to time.

Now that is an unexpected plot twist! Little did I realize..... My wife has 25 years in at a hospital system, and she's seen her share of, ahem, interesting cases. The antifreeze ruse is a new one, though!

Q - So... since we've been talking about Miralax, there must be a whopper of a difference between polyethylene glycol and mere ethylene glycol (a couple of Ethyls, I'd imagine...), eh? How does that work?

Thanks for the trivia!