Low protein, ~Zero carbohydrate Ideas

Options
VKetoV
VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
Need some help brainstorming & reconstructing my diet with a focus mainly on keeping protein low but having enough overall food volume for satiation. For proteins sources, I'm thinking of mainly using high fat sources, mainly whole eggs & possibly lamb. Might throw in gelatin/broth just for volume.

Fat will take care of itself (EVOO, MCT). As far as carbohydrates, the only good source I can think of is sauerkraut (I have trouble digesting other low carbohydrate greens, i.e broccoli, asparagus).

Looking for some inspiration...
I might throw in a 1 or 2 day/week higher carbohydrate day based on exercise (50-100g carbohydrate) fueled with blueberries, flaxseed, Greek yogurt, etc. to mix things up.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    How low (in grams) of protein?

I guess the darker, skin-on meats might meet your ratio rather than anything on the lean side. IE, Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs vs boneless, skinless chicken breast.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    How low in protein would be my question too. I keep my protein moderate but fat high so I eat fatty cuts of meat (cuz I just don't like to add butter to everything). Chuck roasts versus London Broil. Pork butt/shoulder versus pork tenderloin. Salmon versus a lower fat fish.

The real focus I have to have in keeping protein moderate and eat food versus suck down oil, is in my selection of cheese. I eat a bunch of mascarpone and cream cheese which are high in fat but also low in protein. Much lower in protein than something like cheddar or other "typical" cheeses. Sour cream is another low in protein dairy.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    From a volume standpoint, I find fresh spinach is a good option. Very low net carbs with added benefit of having some potassium and magnesium which are needed for keto. Also, eating it fresh, because of the volume, makes me take longer to eat the same number of calories. I frequently put a couple (or more) hard boiled eggs on it with blue cheese dressing which adds what I think you are looking for in a fat/protein ratio.

If you eat nuts, walnuts and pecans are both very high fat with low net carb. The only concern here is, if you are like me, it is very easy to overeat these.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Did you make a new account?
  • VKetoV
    Options
    How low (in grams) of protein?
    MAX around 75-80grams/day

kirkor wrote: »
    Did you make a new account?
    Yes, long story short, had been busy with paperwork, career, & family stuff
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go for the darker, skin-on poultry (if you are going to eat chicken).

As there is approx. 19.5g of protein in 4oz of skin on chicken thighs vs 26.1g of protein in 4oz of skinless, boneless chicken breast. That's 7 grams for 4oz...depending on how much you eat, it can make a big difference.

I don't know how much you eat (calorie wise), but you could do a stir fry using olive oil as your fat source, chicken, and a vegetable that you can digest easily (as you said you have trouble digesting broccoli, asparagus...maybe cruciferous vegetables? The fibre content may be what is making it hard for you to digest).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Learn to love mascarpone cheese and cream cheese. My protein target is 73. Easy to go over with some meat or fish coupled with regular type cheeses.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Learn to love mascarpone cheese and cream cheese. My protein target is 73. Easy to go over with some meat or fish coupled with regular type cheeses.

I just had this on some celery. Had never heard of it until someone mentioned it in another thread. I wish I had found it long ago.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I made sugar free jello with 1 cup of sour cream and 1 cup of full fat whipping cream added. I portioned it out into 6 servings and it has done well with my macros. Low protein, low carb and very high fat!
  • VKetoV
    Options
    So far so good...undershot protein at about 40-45grams today. I have greatly underestimated the power of butter for GI issues & emulsifying vegetables. I'll give it at least 2 weeks before drawing any conclusions though...labs due in January.

Going the vegetable + high fat route since it's more satisfying volume wise. Might be throwing in mushrooms too. Reserving cheese + vegetables for cheat days
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I am low carb, not keto, and mostly vegetarian...my diary is open if you want to browse around it, you might find some ideas...
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at cutting my protein way down right now. Eating too much protein has really stalled my diet in the past. Soup is my favourite meal for filling up with minimal protein... works great with fat & veggies, easy enough to add butter, coconut, olive oil or cream for fat. Veggie omelettes are my other favourite lower protein meal.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I second the cream cheese... I love pickle wraps, but eat them as fast as I can make them. I just recently discovered pickle wrap dip. So simple, I should have been doing that all along. cream cheese, sour cream, cut up pickles, and a little bit of thin deli meat. Waaay easier and I can eat it with a spoon.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese with nearly anything in it is delish! @jasperdog52554 have you considered a little Worcestershire sauce or green onions? Love that! I also put bacon in mine sometimes.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady I would never have thought about the Worcestershire sauce. What a great way to boost sodium also! Thanks for the tip