LCD Taco Bacon Pie

Options
josgall
josgall Posts: 17 Member
Hi,

I am a new member of the group and I have just recently returned to a low carb meal plan. I was thinking about making the Taco Bacon Pie and experimenting with substitutions to remove/reduce carbs. Does anyone know if this has already been done or would anyone like to experiment on this and collaborate with me?

https://www.google.com/amp/en.newsner.com/this-taco-bacon-pie-everyone-is-talking-about-will-take-you-to-food-heaven/about/taste/amp

Thanks,

Joseph

P.s. I have no friends on my friends list. I would appreciate a support system and would be happy to cheer you folks on!

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Going to look at recipe now... exchange ketchup for No sugar added crushed tomatoes is what I'd do. And skip the alcohol... yuck.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Well, even making the recipe as-is, the 3/4 cup of ketchup divided over 8 servings is only 7 grams of carbs. You could make your own low carb-type ketchup like this -- http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/evenbetter_heinz_ketchup.html -- which in the pie recipe would be 2.6g per serving.
    And ya the jager, woost'uh'suh ( ;) ) and spices add some carbs, but lordy we're talking about a dish with 4-1/4 lbs of meat and cheese here!
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That's looks delish! I am going to make it, just need all the ingredients. Got bacon.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, personally, I'd drop the alcohol from the recipe, but I'm no cook so others would be better to make suggestions.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm with RowdysLady...would do the same although in my carbivore days, the ketchup and Jager would have been most welcome. I can say that I skied the Alps in Austria both sober and buzzed on Jager...both experiences were awesome, but probably not something that will happen again in this lifetime. :blush:

Sounds uber delish tho...will have to do some googling to see how to best incorporate the licorice flavor of Jager without the booze.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the taco seasoning as well. Most of them add fillers that are just carbs. I definitely think I will make a variation of this
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Tacos and bacon? I'm there!!

I'm lazy, so I would use a jar of good salsa instead of making the sauce. And I agree with @cstehansen about the taco seasoning, also because they frequently have MSG, so I'd probably thrown on a combination of cumin, garlic powder and chili powder.
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You have received some great advice -- feel free to add me as a friend!
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    holy *kitten*! looks awesome. Though, I don't know why you would want to ruin perfectly good bacon with Jager. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Jager is mostly licorice flavored, correct? Google says, "Jägermeister's ingredients include 56 herbs, fruits, roots, and spices, including citrus peel, licorice, anise, poppy seeds, saffron, ginger, juniper berries, and ginseng."

So maybe some combinations of this if you feel something is lacking from your "sauce." Lemon pepper or just zest, licorice extract (or allspice?), star anise?, poppy seeds, saffron, fresh or dried ginger, etc.

GREAT alcohol substitution chart << FAB resource there.

Other than that, I'd probably go for a gluten free taco seasoning packet or just part of my own homemade seasoning. Pretty easy to find a low carb recipe fairly close to your favorite seasoning anyway.