No-Nonsense November: Week 3 Check-In (11/15-11/21)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
Loveable, repeated challenge blurb :wink:
There's a statistic that goes around: something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

During my first LCHF holiday, I checked the weight chart, and I had lost 13lb (almost 6kg) between Oct 31st and my birthday (New Year's Day.) It's possible to not only NOT gain but to LOSE weight during the holiday season.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk, goodies, and other nonsense rampant this type of year.

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

What I've done in the past is to pick 1 or 2 events that were most important. For me it was Christmas Eve and New Year's Day (my birthday). I enjoyed those celebrations. Once the day was over, the indulgence was OVER. I brought home no leftovers to continue the nonsense. I picked specific things I was going to have, not ALL THE FOODS. I told myself that at bedtime, the day was over and when I woke in the morning, it was back to the routine. The rest of the days during that period, I planned ahead to stay on-plan. For those other events I didn't select, I either ate before-hand, or brought on-plan dishes to them. The 1st year, I lost 13lb between Halloween and New Year's. The 2nd year, I was very close to goal and lost the 2lb needed to reach my goal weight. This year, my goal is to maintain.

You can pick either strategy, but this challenge is about monitoring our plan Basics. Focusing on nailing the Basics is what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and beginning weight (if you are just planning to maintain through the month, like me, that's cool, too) and check-in daily or weekly with how well you did. Alternately, if you are focusing on keeping to fitness goals instead, that's certainly welcome. After all, this is YOUR challenge.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's mine from last year:
Monthly Goals:
To lose those rotten, stinkin, stubborn, no-good, malicious last 2lb to goal weight.
By hitting the basics daily. I have one calorie UP-day, Saturday, where I'd like to log but I don't care how many calories I eat, as long as I keep my carbs under 50g. I only have adult beverages that day. Sometimes my carbs sneak over. I make sure I'm pristine all other days of the week, however. This arrangement works fine for me, for now. But if I don't continue to lose at least a fraction of a lb a week, then obviously I'll have to tighten the reigns on that.

Start weight: 153.4 (weight is up due to salty nuts, bacon, and sausage balls)
Goal weight: 150 and to stay there.

Sunday, 11/1:

Water: 80/80oz check.jpg
Electrolytes Good: check.jpg
Logged Food: check.jpg
Exercise as Planned?: Cleaned house like a fiend for 3 hours check.jpg
At or Under Carb Level: 13/30g net check.jpg
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! check.jpg
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! check.jpg

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Fight back against all the NONSENSE life throws at us this time of year.
Make it a No-Gain November. :wink:

Let's do this.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Sticking my C&P in here for ease :wink:

11/xx check in
    Daily Goals:
    Water:
    Logged Food:
    Exercise as Planned:
    At or Under Carb Level:
    At or Under Calorie Limit:

check.jpg

Monthly Goal:
    Lose 10 pounds

Total Points: 43/70
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    November goals:
    1 - no white sugar
    2 - no white flour
    3 - log everything everyday
    4 - Lose 4.6 pounds by 12/2. I have a side bet with a friend that I will be 159.6 on 12/2/2016 (or i have to pay her $20 - haha)

11/7/2016: 164.2
    11/15/2016: 162.8
    11/22/2016:
    11/29/2016:

Been hanging in there with the no flour/no sugar way of eating. As always, flour is no big deal, sugar I still desire. This is takes a firm resolve! This part was not part of my November goals, but I exercised every day last week (walking, little jogging, exercise videos).
  • Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this group and I don't know where to start. Can anyone please help me getting started.
    I have lost around 17 pounds on low carb diet. I'm sticking to plant based protein more but beans make me acidic and my body doesn't feel so good after consuming chickpeas and red kidney beans :( . I'm on a no sugar ( raw fruits and veggies), low carb, high protein diet I am also trying to cut on gluten as much as I can.
    My goal is to drop 20 pounds by the end of the year but I'm not too good with exercise/work outs.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Simmalina wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new to this group and I don't know where to start. Can anyone please help me getting started.
    I have lost around 17 pounds on low carb diet. I'm sticking to plant based protein more but beans make me acidic and my body doesn't feel so good after consuming chickpeas and red kidney beans :( . I'm on a no sugar ( raw fruits and veggies), low carb, high protein diet I am also trying to cut on gluten as much as I can.
    My goal is to drop 20 pounds by the end of the year but I'm not too good with exercise/work outs.

Hey Simmalina...beans were my nemesis. I loved refried beans, chick peas in salad & any kind of beans in soup. Also love peas (I still miss me my green peas). Go to some good websites to learn more...here are a couple and everyone here is so supportive that you will probably have more recommended sites than you ever believed possible...

www.dietdoctor.com
    www.intensivedietarymanagement.com
    www.burnfatnotsugar.com

Don't be a stranger...come back, ask questions & share any insight you have with the rest of us.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Relisting my goals here to refresh my memory:
    Carbs: <= 30g net
    Calories: <= 1700
    Workouts: 5 weekly (gym or otherwise)
    Weight: lose 10 lbs.

Monday morning weight was great - 215 lbs, 4 lbs down for the month.
    I won't post my other numbers because Friday I did a killer workout at the gym and then had a very busy weekend, so no rest day for last week. That means I declared Monday to be a rest day and a re-feed day (my workouts have dropped a little in output and performance so I took a 1 day break from the restricted calories and carbs - still kept the carbs under 80 and calories at maint so not a giant re-feed :) ).

Today, I am back on the program and committed to the numbers posted above! I worked out this morning (chest/back/shoulders weight circuits at the gym) and had a protein/fat lunch (carbs tonight, maybe).

The surprise was that my weight only went up by 1/2 lb even with the over-eating and extra carbs - 215.5 this morning!
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well I am doing good on water and I'm logging everything even when it's bad. I had cheezitz the other day...sooo good but not worth it. I felt awful and had heartburn all day afterwards. Still hanging in there and weighing in around 204-205 so I'm happy with that. Still hoping to lose 4.1 lbs by the end of the month.
  • MindfulMother
    MindfulMother Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My main goal for November was to loose 10 pounds. I am happy to say that I have dropped 6 of those pounds. I am becoming healthier and enjoy the Keto lifestyle.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My main goal for November was to loose 10 pounds. I am happy to say that I have dropped 6 of those pounds. I am becoming healthier and enjoy the Keto lifestyle.

Congrats on the loss...that is awesome! You are well on your way to the 10 lb goal.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    No nonsense! Back on track with macros and logging...though I seem to forget to save at night sometimes, but I'm at least seeing exactly what I'm eating. Scale day tomorrow! Here's hoping!
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 3 at 147.5, so I have a chance of making my weight loss goal of 4 lbs. in November. I started week 2 at the same weight, so we'll see.
    Goal #1-lose 4 lbs. in November
    Goal #2-drink 64 oz of water everyday
    Goal #3-10,000 steps every day(I am really struggling with this one. If we do this next month, I'm reducing the number to 5,000.)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Simmalina wrote: »

@Simmalina-
    So are you just trying to stay primarily vegetarian/vegan or just trying to lean more on plant protein while still consuming animal proteins like dairy? And what is your carb level goal? Those answers will help us help you better.
  • changingleemfp
    changingleemfp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My Goal was to lose 10 pounds this month, and I have exceeded that. I have stalled, now. Part of that could be my hormones this week.

I want to keep my Average Weekly Macros at:

10% Carbs (max)
    30% Protein (max)
    60% Fat (min)

I need to workout three times this week... this is my struggle!

Hope you all have a great week!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    11/12 Zero
    11/13 Zero
    11/14 Zero
    11/15: 110 minutes playing makeup. 50 min. walk (3 miles), 30 aerobics, 30 stretch.

555 minutes to meet goal of 1200 minutes in November.
  • josgall
    josgall Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First entry

Monthly Goals:

This month I have lost 10 lbs already and my goal is to lose an overall 15lbs total during the month of November. I have lost some in my wasteline and my over all monthly goal is to lose another 1" by the end of the month.

Weekly Goals:

This week I will increase my water intake to 4, 32oz containers per day minimum. I will cut out artificial sweeteners completely including diet sodas, sugar free jello, mio and sucrolose. My gym schedule will be lifting a minimum of 4 days out of the week. I will work from my newly aligned ketogenic food goals with macros set for a maximum of 160g of protein (1g/lb of lean body mass).

Start weight: 227
    Goal weight: 190

Tuesday, 11/15:

No Artificial sweeteners: ✅
    Water: 3, 32oz ❌will set a timer on water tomorrow
    Logged Food: ✅
    Exercise as Planned?: ✅
    At or Under Carb Level: ✅
    At or Under Calorie Limit: ✅
    Planned Day Ahead: ✅
  • noynoyavery
    noynoyavery Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi..found you :dizzy:
    Current wek start weight 141lbs
    Goals this week lose 3lbs Break that 140lb (10 stone barrier)

No alcoholic drinks 2/7
    yoga sessions 0/7
    water 65oz a day 2/7
    carbs under 45.

Don't drink sodas , eat processed foods or cakes/biscuits/crisps/sweets anyway so not much I can give up apart from drink or caffiene . May go to caffiene free but need the metablism boost (Sorry for typos) x
    Have a fab day x
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    For 11/15
    Water - 64oz
    Food - Logged
    Exercise - none
    Below 70g carbs - yes
    Below 1400 cal - yes
    Meals planned - no but packed good choices for breakfast and lunch today in a rush
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Nov 15 Results:
    Net Carbs -> 24 :D
    Calories -> 1585 :D
    Workouts -> 2/5 :D
    Weight -> 215.5 :) (up a little bit but I did add creatine to my workout drink, so water weight)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Grumble grumble grumble... I'm up two pounds.

But I'm not pregnant!!! Woo hoo, high five!! :D

I've been doing very well with measuring. Super duper well with staying active. No problem there. I'm losing at a decent clip, even at higher calories to nourish my hard working body.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    11/15 check in
    Daily Goals:
    Water: check.jpg
    Logged Food: check.jpg
    Exercise as Planned: check.jpg
    At or Under Carb Level: 32/20
    At or Under Calorie Limit: check.jpg

Monthly Goal:
    Lose 10 pounds
    4/10

Total Points: 47/75

• solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Been off the past few days as I traveled for work then a few days off, missed a total night of sleep, too for a deadline. Got my period too. Actually did well the first few days away but then I had pizza, and pizza, and pizza again on three occasions, and cannolis, and fried seafood on the past four night. It was all very good pizza but hurt my stomach so much. I have terrible time with flour. Feeling sick since yesterday. And super tired. Will give myself a couple of days to recover and then jump back on the wagon (I hope). A few pounds came back it seems. I'm hoping it's mostly water, as I didn't eat a crazy amount of calories. Feeling a bit discouraged now... and imagining that eating carby asian might make me feel better.