I need help -- Fat Question

Options
I have the basics of LCHF down pretty well. I lost 22 lbs initially but put about 8 back so I'm back with new resolve. My biggest problem seems to be how to eat more fat without adding too much protein.

What are the techniques that you use to up your fat macro?

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Oil, butter, fatty meats, full fat dairy
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Mascarpone cheese and cream cheese. Both are high in fat and low in protein (compared to other cheeses).
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Coffee with hwc
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I put butter on just about every single piece of meat I eat these days. I make tons of dips and spreads with cream cheese too.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What makes adding more fat the most important focus area, @SueMizzou52? What do you believe contributed to your regain? I've only been at this for a month, but it certainly does seem like there's a LOT of discussion of keto out there that may or may not be supported by the science. Yes, fat is key for those of us seeking fat adaptation. But fat's also very high energy, and it helps to know how much we're taking in calorically as we learn how much food we need to feel satiety.

I know there's a lot of folks out there who don't track calories, but I do at this time because one of my key goals, aside from reduced inflammation, is to reduce my bodyfat. So knowing myself, knowing how I love food and can just go all in, I pay attention to overall food intake beyond the macros. I aim to keep my net carbs to 20g/day, ~100g protein, and the rest can be fat--but I'm not exactly adding in all the fats in order to meet a specific fat macro. Butter, avocado, coconut & olive oil, cheese, heavy cream--these are key ingredients in my cooking, so I never worry about adding in extra fat.

Anyway, this isn't about me, but wanted to share where I'm coming from when I ask about where *you* are coming from! :)
  • josgall
    josgall Posts: 17 Member
    Options

My suggestion is to always enter your food into MFP before you start eating, then adjust your food until the fat and protein ratios meet your goals. Modifying food to contain more fat is easy. For example, chicken breast (high protein) can become higher fat with a measured/weighed amount of butter and cheese melted on it. measure/weigh enter into MFP measure/weigh enter into MFP!

• idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil as an anti-inflammatory. To get a truly therapeutic dose >3600 mg of Omega-3, I take enough fish oil to add up to 10 of my daily fat grams.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    josgall wrote: »

My suggestion is to always enter your food into MFP before you start eating, then adjust your food until the fat and protein ratios meet your goals. Modifying food to contain more fat is easy. For example, chicken breast (high protein) can become higher fat with a measured/weighed amount of butter and cheese melted on it. measure/weigh enter into MFP measure/weigh enter into MFP!

This pre-logging is key for me. I almost always log it before I prepare it unless it is something I have made/eaten so many times that I know the macros by heart.

As for adding fat, I use the fattier ground beef (80/20 or 73/27) and almost everything tastes better if it is cooked in coconut oil, olive oil or butter. Everyone knows broccoli and cauliflower taste better if they are smothered in cheese and/or butter.

As one of the guests on the fat summit said, "never eat a vegetable without a fat." She said even if you use blue cheese dressing on your salad, add a tbsp of olive oil too. I just tried that this week, and it was good. My salads are very simple though - just spinach with hard boiled egg and/or a meat with blue cheese dressing.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    josgall wrote: »

This pre-logging is key for me. I almost always log it before I prepare it unless it is something I have made/eaten so many times that I know the macros by heart.

As for adding fat, I use the fattier ground beef (80/20 or 73/27) and almost everything tastes better if it is cooked in coconut oil, olive oil or butter. Everyone knows broccoli and cauliflower taste better if they are smothered in cheese and/or butter.

As one of the guests on the fat summit said, "never eat a vegetable without a fat." She said even if you use blue cheese dressing on your salad, add a tbsp of olive oil too. I just tried that this week, and it was good. My salads are very simple though - just spinach with hard boiled egg and/or a meat with blue cheese dressing.

I add an extra tablespoon of olive oil to salads with existing salad dressing. When I have a cooked veggie I add a pat of butter. I'm starting to marinade meats in oil before cooking. We add blue cheese dressing to grilled chicken. There is a yummy horseradish mayo that is great on steaks. I cook mushrooms and onions in butter.
  • idocdlw
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I add an extra tablespoon of olive oil to salads with existing salad dressing. When I have a cooked veggie I add a pat of butter. I'm starting to marinade meats in oil before cooking. We add blue cheese dressing to grilled chicken. There is a yummy horseradish mayo that is great on steaks. I cook mushrooms and onions in butter.
    [/quote]

I always slather horseradish butter on steak....big yuuuummmmmmo! Now I am craving a nice med rare ribeye steak or prime rib!
  • tyggerdev
    tyggerdev Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever makes my happy while keeping carbs and calories low and then at the end of the day if I need fat/protein adjustment, I make up an Atkins shake with carefully measured heavy whipping cream up to 1/2 cup, and if I need more fat to balance I use liquid coconut oil to make up the rest (1 or 2tbsp). To make things fun and keep stuff regular I seize the opportunity to add benefiber (clear) as well and I sit back and enjoy a tv show while gulping this creamy deliciousness!

Another way to adjust fat quickly is to make a dipping sauce from best foods mayo and mustard and find some protein to munch on. Doesn't take much. Read your food labels and pre log so you have a plan and keep things under control.
  • idocdlw
    Options
    tyggerdev wrote: »
    I eat whatever makes my happy

And this is key to making LC/LCHF a lifestyle rather than a diet. Find your happy!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If I understand the various keto docs' lectures, the fat is to "fill you up" and keep you from eating too much protein and too many carbs. In other words, don't try to reach a particular level but use it to feel satisfied with your meal. In ketosis you want to burn your "own body fat" if your goal is weight reduction.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the fat. I keep my carbs under 20g and my protein at around 80 - 90g and let the fat take care of itself. If I've had all my protein and still have calories left I'll have some cream cheese or something.