Favorite Keto supper?

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
I get stuck in ruts easy with food...mostly because I like how easy it is to track the same thing over and over. Looking for more creative meal ideas. I eat eggs a lot for supper because they are so easy

My favorite meal right now is stupid easy. 2 or 3 eggs fried in 1 tbsp Kerry gold topped with 1 oz feta, a small avocado, and some cold grilled chicken or turkey if my protein is low for the day. Easy, fast, and yummy.

But I don't want to burn out on eggs so looking for some of folks go to meals.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh....

Chicken thighs
    Cauli cheese casserole
    Meatloaf
    Crockpot everything
    Meat and cheese roll ups
    Salad with meat
    Egg salad
    Steak of any kind... even fried in Keto friendly breading
    Keto biscuits and gravy and sausage

Crimeny.... all of it. I love to cook
  • MKknits
    Options
    I love to cook too but I'm short on time during the week usually.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Cobb salad
    Taco Salad
    Roasted or pan cooked meat with roasted veg or mashed cauliflower and a salad
    Zoodles with alfredo sauce and chicken
    Zoodles with pesto and sausage

Now that it's getting cold we're going to start playing with keto soups.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Meatballs made with ground beef, Italian sausage, pork finds, eggs and mozzarella cheese on zucchini noodles with marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese.
    I'm having that tomorrow with a friend. She wants to learn about keto so I'm cooking a dinner with her to show her that she won't miss the pasta!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Chicken Piccata. It's super easy and once you pound the chicken breasts down it takes about 10 minutes to cook. DH always has his over pasta, I just add mushrooms and eat a reasonable portion of those or put it over zoodles.

I have a pot roast on right now. It takes time but only when on the stove or in the oven. Great crock pot meal while you work. I just eat the meat and cabbage. Mushroom if I put those in.

I have a corned beef brisket in the fridge to cook sometime. Mine will go in the oven. Yours can be done in the crock pot.

Shrimp, anyway. Cooks super fast.

If you have 90 minutes, roast a chicken. I have a side veg. DH has mashed potatoes and gravy. I have time on my hands. Leftover chicken is great for lunches and other dinners.

An Alfredo sauce takes no time to make. 15 minutes. Seriously. Use it with your leftover chicken. Or shrimp.

Google Crackslaw. If you like something Asian-like, it's quick and awesome. 1 pan to wash.

ETA: Chuckling. I'm 62. Bet your Mom or Grandma have some ideas. ;) Real food. Old way of eating. And everything doesn't need cheese.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My absolute faves are
    - tacos with the works in romaine leaves instead of shell
    - fried cabbage with bacon
    - poblanos baked with cheese and spicy pork sausage filling
  • MKknits
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Chicken Piccata. It's super easy and once you pound the chicken breasts down it takes about 10 minutes to cook. DH always has his over pasta, I just add mushrooms and eat a reasonable portion of those or put it over zoodles.

I have a pot roast on right now. It takes time but only when on the stove or in the oven. Great crock pot meal while you work. I just eat the meat and cabbage. Mushroom if I put those in.

I have a corned beef brisket in the fridge to cook sometime. Mine will go in the oven. Yours can be done in the crock pot.

If you have 90 minutes, roast a chicken. I have a side veg. DH has mashed potatoes and gravy. I have time on my hands. Leftover chicken is great for lunches and other dinners.

An Alfredo sauce takes no time to make. 15 minutes. Seriously. Use it with your leftover chicken. Or shrimp.

Google Crackslaw. If you like something Asian-like, it's quick and awesome. 1 pan to wash.

ETA: Chuckling. I'm 62. Bet your Mom or Grandma have some ideas. ;) Real food. Old way of eating. And everything doesn't need cheese.

Do you have a crockpot recipe for pot roast you like? All of the ones I've tried are dry.

Oh and my mom never cooked growing up, my Dad did all if the cooking :D He's a great cook and I learned well from him but once I'm home with the kids when I'm done teaching I need something quick and easy to make (most night I'm home after 6 and bedtime is 7:30/8 for the girls).
  • forthegoals
    forthegoals Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So far it's been chicken drumsticks & franks red hot buffalo wing sauce mixed with butter!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So far it's been chicken drumsticks & franks red hot buffalo wing sauce mixed with butter!

Oh yes! I love that! I used to literally eat it for lunch 3 times a week! Some blue cheese dressing too!
  • kpk54
    Options
    @MKknits, Yikes that's a small eating window! Do you cook dinner for your children or do they eat earlier, elsewhere? Just curious. I can't imagine squeezing dinner into that. I'd be making hot dogs. :p

I'm not a fan of a crock pot so no recipe. Crockpot lovers probably have one though. I think a pot roast needs to be nearly submerged in liquid to be tender, at least mine are half submerged. They definitely need to roast or braise for 2-3 hours. I just throw a little oil in the pan, brown both sides of the roast, cut up an onion and throw it in to brown a little bit. Add a can of broth, 1/2 cup of red wine, a couple of bay leaves, a little thyme, a clove or two of garlic, salt/pepper and a couple Tbsp of tomato paste and 1Tbsp of balsamic vinegar for good measure (not necessary). Put the lid on and let it simmer/very low boil for a couple hours, turning it over once and making sure there is enough liquid. Then I throw in cut up potatoes, carrots, celery, cabbage & more broth or water if needed and let it cook another half hour or so til the taters/carrots/meat are done. Sometimes they don't need three hours but definitely 2. Sunday supper maybe?

I cook for 2 so always have leftover meat and just eat it for lunch or make soup/stew with the meat and broth, adding fresh (versus leftover) vegetables.

Sorry I can't help with a crock pot recipe but I know someone can!
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My easy go to is baked chicken thighs (seasoned), bone in with the skin on which gets extra crispy...almost like fried chicken. Served with a veg smothered in butter. In fact I have some baking right now.

I love eggs too...not sure if I would ever get tired of them.
  • MKknits
    Options
    @MKknits, Yikes that's a small eating window! Do you cook dinner for your children or do they eat earlier, elsewhere? Just curious. I can't imagine squeezing dinner into that. I'd be making hot dogs. :p

I'm not a fan of a crock pot so no recipe. Crockpot lovers probably have one though.

The girls like a small rotation of meals so I usually make them something they eat with no complaints. I then either reheat a meal I prepped on the weekend (I prep about 8 meals every weekend) or I make eggs. Then it's homework time if they didn't finish it with me at school, reading time if they, showers then bed. I run a tight ship :)

My husband is home on the weekend and he eats a lot so my attempts to make extra usually end with 1-2 extra meals. That he usually eats before he heads back to work on Sunday.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »

Do you have a crockpot recipe for pot roast you like? All of the ones I've tried are dry.

Oh and my mom never cooked growing up, my Dad did all if the cooking :D He's a great cook and I learned well from him but once I'm home with the kids when I'm done teaching I need something quick and easy to make (most night I'm home after 6 and bedtime is 7:30/8 for the girls).

You gotta use the right cut of meat. I do chuck roasts, 3-4lbs, nice and fatty (the fat to protein grams are like 1:1) and cooks down to super deliciousness with a bare 1/8-1/4 cup liquid added to the Crockpot. I season mine fairly heavily with salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and ancho chile powder. I make an au jus using the fatty liquid awesomeness in the pot, that is how much there is.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Eggs, bacon, steak, brisket, chicken, salad, cheese, soups made in the instant pot. For a rare treat 1/2 Pink Lady Apple, blueberries or blackberries. Today it was one Carbquick biscuit really hot slathered in butter. I am off of Atkins bars they used to be a treat now they just make me feel queasy. This is making me hungry. I am going to bed now so I can get up tomorrow and EAT!
  • kpk54
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »

You gotta use the right cut of meat. I do chuck roasts, 3-4lbs, nice and fatty (the fat to protein grams are like 1:1) and cooks down to super deliciousness with a bare 1/8-1/4 cup liquid added to the Crockpot. I season mine fairly heavily with salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and ancho chile powder. I make an au jus using the fatty liquid awesomeness in the pot, that is how much there is.

Yes. Chuck roast for me too. My favorite cut of beef. Highly prefer it to even ribeyes or tenderloins. Well, prefer it to ALL other beef. More flavor and more tender when cooked properly (long enough). Think I'll give a crock pot another try just because mine doesn't get much use. :p
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Crock pot recipes - add liquid! No matter the cut of meat I use some liquid in the bottom. One of my fav things to do is slice onions and coat the bottom of the crock with the onions. Put the meat in on top of them, season to taste. Let cook on on higher heat until the onions caramelize. Then add liquid - usually broth and any other veggies I want. Move to low and let cook til the meat falls apart.

I LOVE to make fajita meat or taco meat in the crock pot. I use canned tomatoes as my liquid base then, with a little added broth if needed.

If my meat is frozen I never thaw it before I put it in the crock. Just like a steak on the grill - toss it in frozen.

There is no easier (or tastier) way to cook in my opinion because flavor infuses in all day while you did all the work in the morning and "set it and forget it". :smile:
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I make a Mississippi roast in the Instant Pot that is super good. I usually top it with a fried egg and cheese. Other dinner favorites:

London broil w/ spicy cauliflower "mac and cheese"
    Spaghetti squash topped with meat sauce or alfredo
    Chicken thighs with smoked paprika/sour cream gravy
    Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers
    Bunless burgers w/ cheese and a fried egg.
    Cheesy taco skillet
    Chili w/ black soybeans
    Mushroom, beef, and swiss stuffed zucchini boats
    Fathead pizza!!!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    One of my fave quick and easy dinners is to take boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut a slit in the middle, stuff it with cheese and wrap it with bacon. Stick it in the oven at 400 for 23 minutes and make sauteed veggies to go with it.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    We are into the cheeseburger casserole with green chillies instead of pickles. Pizza with a cauliflower crust is a reoccurring item as well. Roasted chicken with white wine sauce comes around a lot too. Bison stuffed poblano peppers is no stranger to the table either.
  • MKknits
    Options
    Oh I totally forgot I have an Instant Pot - I need to bust that puppy out, even better then a crock pot because I can't forget to turn it on then expect a delicious supper 8 hours later. ;)