Need your help

Options
I bought me some ketostix today and when I tested it was only pale peach color. I have fallen off the keto wagaon BUT I have gotten myself back on the wagon this week.
Mon 1480 calories 31 net carbs
Tues 1531 calories 24 net carbs
Wed 1407 calories 28 net carbs
Today (Thursday) 1604 calories 28 net carbs
Shouldn't I be further into keto than the pale peach (which is Trace)
I don't completely understand this yet. I am just trying to keep carbs between 20's and 30's and definitely stay below 50.
Can you all help me out with this?
Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Is your goal weight loss or are you seeking full time ketosis for other reasons? You may not need it just for just weight loss.
    Also, the faint pink is still ketosis. Being darker doesn't necessarily mean much outside of therapeutic applications. Plus, the urine tests wouldn't be the right testing to use if it were for therapeutic purposes. You can force them to show a lower result just by drinking a couple large cups of coffee or a bunch of water. You literally dilute the urine so the test picks up a lower reading.

I wouldn't go by net carbs. If ketosis is your goal, you'd be better of counting total and trying to stay below 30. Are you only subtracting the fiber from green leafy vegetables? I wouldn't subtract fiber from anything else and always count sugar alcohols and sweeteners too.

Are you using artificial sweeteners?
    Are you diabetic?
    Are you eating very large amounts of lean protein? Or using any protein supplements?

• ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight....15 lbs.
    Yes I use stevia.
    I am not diabetic.
    Large amounts of protein?.......I don't think so.....what is considered large amounts?
    I am not using supplements.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight....15 lbs.
    Yes I use stevia.
    I am not diabetic.
    Large amounts of protein?.......I don't think so.....what is considered large amounts?
    I am not using supplements.

I would say you know if it were large enough to be an issue. And it's really only a possible problem if you are diabetic or at least moderately insulin resistant.

I don't think the stevia would be an issue unless it's the powdered kind. Many of those are blended with things that actually do create an insulin response.

Honestly, it's probably either diluted urine or that total carbs are just a bit too high.
    Also, the time of day you test urine matters a lot.
    You will have the lowest results in the morning.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Try tracking total carbs for a while. Net carbs is a slippery slop IMO. You might be consuming more than you think. I stay under 20g total a day to maintain ketosis.
  • ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ebony dahlia can I see ur food diary? SunnyBunny....I think ur diary is open....correct?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Ebony dahlia can I see ur food diary? SunnyBunny....I think ur diary is open....correct?

It is open and I have been logging for a little bit again. I average about 10g total a day. I don't really eat many veggies. They just don't agree with me. Like tonight I ate more broccoli than I should have and I know I will have tummy trouble tomorrow because of it. But I really like it and was freakin starving today! Lol
    I had a really good workout this morning.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    According to Dr Adam Nally and one of the presenters on the Keto Summit (can't remember his name), once your body has adapted to ketones, the amount in your urine will decrease. If it stays very high, it means your body is not using them as they should. A better (albeit unnecessary in most cased IMO) measure is blood ketones. That measurement should be between 0.5 and 3.0. That costs more, but would give you truer results.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    According to Dr Adam Nally and one of the presenters on the Keto Summit (can't remember his name), once your body has adapted to ketones, the amount in your urine will decrease. If it stays very high, it means your body is not using them as they should. A better (albeit unnecessary in most cased IMO) measure is blood ketones. That measurement should be between 0.5 and 3.0. That costs more, but would give you truer results.

This is also not the case for everyone though. I'm over 18 months in and I turn those things dark every time. I honestly think it's more easily influenced by how often you urinate. I don't drink a lot of liquids. Only to thirst and most of it is coffee and tea. If I go extra heavy on the coffee and start going more often because of the diuretic effect plus the extra fluid, the color can actually go down to trace even if I'm fasting.