How do you know when you are in ketosis

Options
Hi all,

I just started eating low carb, keeping my net carbs around 40 (total carbs up to 59-15% from total calories intake), to begin with and not suffer too much.
My questions are,
1) how long does it take to be in ketosis
2) how do you know when you are in ketosis.

Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

Replies

• tyggerdev
    tyggerdev Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When you're in Ketosis, your body is converting fat into ketones that it uses for energy. So ketones will be present in your urine. All you need to do is pee on a strip and watch it change color.

Ketone Strips @ Amazon

As far as being able to tell by just how you feel, you should have more energy, mental clarity and you'll just feel better. Personally I also have moments of hot flashes when my metabolism kicks into high gear, however thats just me, this may not be the case for you. The only REAL way to tell is by doing a lab test such as the dip mentioned above.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    also when you have ketones in your urine it will start to smell fruity. it took me 2 days but I started off with very low carbs.
  • tyggerdev
    edited November 2016
    Options
    also when you have ketones in your urine it will start to smell fruity. it took me 2 days but I started off with very low carbs.

Oh my goodness! Does it really? I never got that close. LOL
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    My breath smells fruity and my sweaty bits smell like cat spray. Welcome to ketosis. :D
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My breath smells fruity and my sweaty bits smell like cat spray. Welcome to ketosis. :D

Sweaty Bits? LC breakfast cereal?

Here's a brief discussion about getting into ketosis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7xwfOYI2bQ
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

That's not always the case. It really is person to person. I didn't have that at all.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

That's not always the case. It really is person to person. I didn't have that at all.

definitely true - when I'm switching into ketosis (like when I have overloaded on carbs for a re-feed), my urine smells like cat piss (really strong nasty smell) :o
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Beauty is in the Nose of the Inhaler.©
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Best way to tell is ketone blood tests, but that is too expensive to be worthwhile in your case.
    Next best method is urine strips (mentioned above), which can be bought OTC at Walgreens, CVS, local pharmacy. Look in the diabetes section or ask the pharmacist. Or just buy online as suggested above.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    tyggerdev wrote: »
    Personally I also have moments of hot flashes when my metabolism kicks into high gear.

I experience this too...somedays it just feels like I am running a fever...all day...it's weird to feel that warm all day and still feel really good, not like having an illness related fever at all.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options

I wish... sweaty bits are fine. Breath that can knock over a tree and wee smelling like catpiss. I "know" when I am in ketosis.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    A garden of olfactory delights!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    tyggerdev wrote: »
    When you're in Ketosis, your body is converting fat into ketones that it uses for energy. So ketones will be present in your urine. All you need to do is pee on a strip and watch it change color.

Ketone Strips @ Amazon

As far as being able to tell by just how you feel, you should have more energy, mental clarity and you'll just feel better. Personally I also have moments of hot flashes when my metabolism kicks into high gear, however thats just me, this may not be the case for you. The only REAL way to tell is by doing a lab test such as the dip mentioned above.

I get those "hot flashes"....I thought maybe I was getting sick..!! But never do, happy Im not going crazy
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @diane79zp sorry you asked yet? :D:D:D
  • tyggerdev
    Options
    @KetoLady86 ; @idocdlw:

Glad I'm not the only one. People at work think I'm nuts when it happens because its quick. I start fanning myself and then I get this sudden burst of energy and want to get up and do stuff. It happens more often after I've eaten something, but not always.

As a matter of fact last night at work when I got there, I was freezing. Kept my hoodie on and shut the windows. And then all of a sudden, I couldn't get my hoodie off fast enough and the last thing I wanted to do was sit down. LOL
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yep!!! i so get this...but how do you know its the metabolism?
  • tyggerdev
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    Yep!!! i so get this...but how do you know its the metabolism?

Burst of energy, what else could it be?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    @diane79zp sorry you asked yet? :D:D:D

No need to buy keto sticks when we are around to "enlightened" the subject >:)
  • diane79zp
    diane79zp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many answers, thanks everyone.
    I still can't tell about me when I'm in ketosis, about energy, now and them I'm full of energy (I'm hyper) so it is hard to tell.
    I'm going to buy those sticks, and take note of the changes in my body, so next time I'll know when I'm in ketosis whitout using the sticks.